Thinking of used VC defiant/encore Cat stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philmont2006

Aug 29, 2006
Hi,
I got referenced over here from Gardenweb by mountainguy, thanks much mountainguy. I have a line on a used defiant/encore stove that is in very good condtion with new door gaskets. It is a Cat stove so I would like some info. on the pro's and con's of a Cat stove? Also, from reading it looks like I can buy the black pipe at the local Ace store but also could use some help on the chimney... where to buy a 6" gal. system??
Thanks Dave

Should I say here we go again?????????

where is that metal fab thread were people were posting prices? I dont remember where its at, didnt someone say the box store had it for some rediculios price of $60/3' section?

earthharvester said:
Should I say here we go again?????????

EH I was talking to your instector today good friend of mine talking about wood stoves permitting and inspections
He asked me If I had any interest in taking on all inspections in your town?

There is more to this than cat vs non cat Thermotacilly controled secondary air is just important for longer usefull burning coupled with the cat opperation.

look into your fire box half way up on the back one each side are wedges Lightly tap them up and remove them.
Then lift that plate up and tilt it for removal. You will see the white soft material called the fire package there is like a pannel gently remove take care this material is soft. Your cat is right there Simply lift it out and inspect it Vacume it out and possibly blow it out if the honey cone is in good condition it probably does not need replacing. There is another better way to clean the cat. Witha pan large enough mix 1/2 water and vinager and bring it to a boil Place the cat ellement in the pot for about 5 minutes then remove it
It should be all cleaned out let it dry and blow it out I know of people that claim to use pipe cleaners when cleaning cats
While open I attach a flexible plastic tube to my shop vac with duct tape and vac out the cat area ans along the sides of the compartment I get out as much fly ash as possible but gentle the Thermaticc probe sensor is also present with fine steel wool I clean it up or fine grit sand paper replace the cat the fire package pallel cover the plate then the wedged and you are done.
See not much to it. Really not much dirrerent than cleaning out the secondary burn chambers of any stove at the start and again at mid season.

CAT stoves do require good drafting. Since most of your chimney is inside it should work fine. A guy a few weeks back bought an Encore used wood or factory second, Buster, for $1050. $1200 seems high but if factoring new its about 2K. The question I have is to explain USEd was it used and refurbished for re-sale? . Is the dealer extending any warranty? the Hunter green color is a discontinued color so it is atleast 3 -4 years old How many heating seasons was it used what kind of usage in 24-7 or amounts od cords burnt per season IF dealer refurbished correctly the use factor is not an issue. It could be a real good deal also what is the model number That will indicate age. Hunter green Encores are as old as 1986. to 2001/2002

Elk and Corie, thanks much for the info. I really appreciate it, I will call tomorrrow and find out more on the stove. Can you tell me what they do when they re-furbish a stove besides replacing the door gaskets and replacing the Cat?
Thanks DAve

Dave scroll down a few post to my rebuilding a stove I'm the process of updating my used Encore $500 used only 2 seasons hunter green More detail use search engine for encore Dave where do you live?

Dave if worried place a small deposit on the stove and tell the owner you have to get wife approval then get all the details and post them Like I said it coul;d be a good deal

MountainStoveGuy said:
where is that metal fab thread were people were posting prices? I dont remember where its at, didnt someone say the box store had it for some rediculios price of $60/3' section?
Yes , the 6" X 36" at TSC and some box store are from $64. - $68. I bought Metal-Fab brand at these prices. "NO COMMENT!" on cat vs non-cat stoves. As soon as someone say "cat vs not-cat" every looses there mind and gets there guns out and starts bashing others over there input. One would be better off doing the "search" to find all the input .

Roospike said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
Yes , the 6" X 36" at TSC and some box store are from $64. - $68. I bought Metal-Fab brand at these prices. "NO COMMENT!" on cat vs non-cat stoves. As soon as someone say "cat vs not-cat" every looses there mind and gets there guns out and starts bashing others over there input. One would be better off doing the "search" to find all the input .

I second that!

David, as you can see we are all battle scared here from the cat/non cat route... there is PLENTY of data here about it, just use the search function so we dont start another war. But every one knows that non cat is better :snake:

KIDDING. seriously just search for cat vs non cat and you will get more then you ever want to know about the differences

MountainStoveGuy said:
David, as you can see we are all battle scared here from the cat/non cat route... there is PLENTY of data here about it, just use the search function so we dont start another war. But every one knows that non cat is better :snake:

KIDDING. seriously just search for cat vs non cat and you will get more then you ever want to know about the differences

Ryan, go pour another drink. ;>

He. He.

Roospike said:
HA ,.............I think we handled that well . Its a good thing because I'm still licking my wounds .

My bandages have not come off yet!

Did I miss something you guys had an accident LOL Good to see level heads finally prevailed Got some strong personalities here but that's ok. If buying a new Chain saw It would not be a stihl or Husky I have to get a dolmar Makita to avoid the Stihl Husky wars that can rage. the right price I can be all bets are off. There are a lot of stoves I would consider instead of VC but my location limits what will work. when I built my home I purchased a rear exit EFFEL and positioned the thimble to the separate 8/8 flue to line up with that stove. Had I moved it up 8" more a I could use top exit stoves as well as rear exit ones. IF it were just cutting out a few bricks to
move the outlet up no big deal. But I have granite field stone front, some being more than a foot thick with 4 more " of brick behind

Not a situation easilly altered. I had to find the most BTU stove rear exit that was equal or lower the 26 5/8" VC offered two stoves that fit the bill The Resolute Acclaim non cat or the Encore cat. At that time most dealers were non cat and discouraged their purchase. I went along with this thinking till I refurbished a cat Intrepid II last year replacing my aging plate metal mid 80's stove
I experienced cat opperation it worked it worked quite well. Better than I ever expected I could have bought an Encore instead of the Resolute for the same $$$. Since it worked I began wondering if I had made a mistake The Encore delivered 18% more heat which I could use and it would fit. I actually stimbled acrosst one in my travels which is installed in place of my Encore.
I admit ITs like love the one your are with Thats the reason behind my stove sellections I had to find one that fit and was rear exiting

Status
Not open for further replies.