Thinking poplar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387387595.621370.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1387387610.236156.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1387387619.353261.jpg

The bark puts me in mind of box elder but generally the center would be more red if it were box elder, so you thought toward poplar may be correct. I'll defer further judgment to those with more poplar knowledge.:confused:

Nope, I cut lots of big tooth and quaking aspen every year and neither has any heart color at all, unless it completely rotten. The bark reminds me of basswood, but I don't think that has ay heart color at all either. Bark definitely looks like it could be box elder, but that has light heartwood too ?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The heartwood staining usually comes out Orangey. If he splits it and the wood is much lighter than the endgrain...?
The bark on the stuff I have here is much thicker than what your pics revealed.
Despite the unusual deep orange I still think poplar.

The heartwood staining usually comes out Orangey. If he splits it and the wood is much lighter than the endgrain...?
If that's NOT tulip I'll pay the shipping to get it here and eat the entire log!==c

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I claim video rights!==c
I figured it was. They cleared a giant lot. These trees are all over. Found one ash stump so I assumed all the good stuff is gone. Snooze and lose

I say poplar too. Pull some of the bark back if you can and you should find that stringy/slimy layer. It would be good to add to your pile for shoulder seasons next year.

it kind of looks like tulip poplar to me too..... don't leave it on the ground. get it cut, split and up on some pallets or on something. won't last long if you don't. I had a big double one go over during a big storm last year. the root ball was about 15 feet high. burns good enough when dry but mix it if you can with something more substantial.

If Lee says its tulip and is willing to eat the log if it isn't - its tulip.;)

Poplar indeed but not aspen.

Status
Not open for further replies.