Thinking to buy an insert......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

satfoxy

Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2009
Greece (north)
Hi all here.
Nice to find this forum,so i can ask for an advice.
I live in Europe and i'm thinking to install an insert.This one.
http://www.lanordica-extraflame.com/en/55/3/3/84/prodotti/prodotti-a-legna/cucine-a-legna.html
My question is install an insert with blower or not.Is it noise the blower after working some hours?
And what is the basic differences with or without blower.
I have already a cast iron open fireplace witch produce very little hot (almost nothing).Can burn for hours for heating only few s.q. meters.
So last year i build by my self a door with ceramic glass and install it.The results was disappointed again.The fire was very alive but
i was heating again the sky.
So my decision is to buy and install an insert.But i dont have understand witch one.
Thanks for reading my post,and thanks for any help.
Pol

Finding a good insert that would work in a corner install might be challenging. Have you considered putting in a free-standing stove with a liner? The hearth might need a little extension, to bring the stove out into the room more, but the results could be more satisfying.

Without a blower, you have a very nice heated chimney.

Thanks for the replay.
My first choice was a heater but will not be beautiful at the same place both heater and fireplace.Thats why i'm looking for the insert.
And my question is still, blower or not.Where r the differences.
Advances and dis advances.
I have read alot in this forum about inserts and i'm sure that is gonna be my next move.
Thanks for reading my post.
Pol

Welcome, Pol !!

An insert with a blower is way more effeicient than with out.

Where in the house is the chimney located, on an inside or outside wall?

satfoxy said:
gzecc said:
Without a blower, you have a very nice heated chimney.

So you mean an insert with blower is much more efficient than without?

As an insert will be enclosed in the existing masonry, it limits the ways in which it can transfer heat to the living space. The blower is used to to extract the heat and project it into the room.

Freestanding stoves have much more exposed surface area than an insert and are able to do an excellent job passively.

While I can use my insert without the blower, in my experience, it is far more effective with it turned on. As for noise, it does create some, however in my case it does not interfere with household life.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Welcome, Pol !!

An insert with a blower is way more effeicient than with out.

Where in the house is the chimney located, on an inside or outside wall?

Inside wall.
More reading more closer i'm to buy one with blower.
But what happens if there is the blower and i have it switch off when there is fire?
Is it in dangerous ?
Other think that i have notice is that the placement of the blower better to be in front so can be easily clean.
Thanks for reading my post and helping me to find the best, economical and most efficient solution.

satfoxy said:
But what happens if there is the blower and i have it switch off when there is fire?
I researched many different inserts when planning my installation, and most-all have a thermostatic control device that regulates when the fan is on or off.
My insert blower has variable speed control, I set it to the desired rate, and then the thermostat turns the fan on when the insert has warmed up, and off when the insert cools down.

Status
Not open for further replies.