1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Thinking Wood Gun...any advice or experience?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by avc8130, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Now yer talkin!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CTFIRE

CTFIRE Member

From Darren at AHS - "The timer you are referring to is the 4 hour cycle timer. If the boiler does not run for 4 hours, it automatically comes on and runs for 10 minutes. The high limit control will shut the boiler down if reaches that point. This timer is already incorporated in the control box that you have." Looks like mine is built in
  3. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification

Awesome! I figured they might have put the option in since it would have been easy when they were programming the PCB.

ac
  4. CTFIRE

CTFIRE Member

I guess my only real concern with the holidays approaching is whether or not I have to tip the fire gremlins. Are they house guests or employees. What's customary. I don't want to seem cheap, but those who seek out alternatives to oil would have a tendency to be on the frugal side. So they really shouldn't expect much, right?
  5. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I figured you throw a $20 in the wood chamber to tip the gremlins for Christmas. You don't want them getting lazy.

ac
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    I just wouldn't tip them like the guy in your avatar is. ;lol
    CTFIRE likes this.
  7. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    Wonder if that 4-hours can be changed. I know my gremlins pack their bags and bug-out if I let them alone for too long. I've got mine set to fire for 6 minutes every 80 minutes.
  8. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I'm rocking 2 mins ever 60. I've been thinking about trying 2 every 80 since I haven't lost a fire with the timer, but the boiler is at the high limit often when I go to load.

ac
  9. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    My boiler never calls for fire but simply maintains temperature off the cycle timer. Ugh. When are we going to get some cold weather so we can see these things really work????
  10. Gasifier

Loc:
    You could turn it off until your house is down to about 60 and the boiler is cold. It should run for a while then. ==c Of course then you would have to lite a piece of paper and throw it in there. Oh. Like. Gag me with a purple twinkie! Or should that be spoon. ;lol Whatever.
  11. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    Ok, fired it for 10+ minutes when I got home and raised the boiler temperature to 190 degrees. Got the following results:

Top of refractory: 888 (above limit of thermometer)
    Refractory plug: 888
    Refractory just outside plug: 550 degrees
    Gasification tunnels: 600 degrees
    Fire tube: 200 degrees

Turned the cycle timer off and I'll check everything again at 7:00.
    Stay tuned.....
  12. Ok, I'll set the over under at 400 for the temp of the refractory.

I say it will be under.
  13. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    Ok, after exactly an hour of sitting idle the water temperature was at 170 (bathed the wee boy) but the boiler didn't call for heat and fire. Here are the readings:

Top of refractory: 435 right at the edge of the nozzle bricks
    Refractory plug: 250 on the outside of the plug inside the handle.
    Refractory just outside plug: 275
    Gasification tunnels: 450
    Fire tube: 170

Still had a large amount of embers in the firebox.
  14. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    WOW! MAN DID I DROP A HAND GRENADE AND RUN.
    Sorry guys.
    Mike from Maine, I meant no ill harm. i just saw your signature and started laughing so I thought that wiki def would be fun.

To beat the horse a little further, I don't know how other units are built, but the bottom of WG firebox is all refractory including the gasification tube and heat exchange tubes, so it will hold a lot of heat for a long time and that heat will be able to "auto ignite" a piece of charcoal. Thats what the AHS claims and thats what I have seen with my own eyes.

Anyway, all this stuff does is fill use with more information that may or may not be useful. Bottom line is that all of our units heat all of our homes and save us all a lot of money on oil.

But I still love the banter so I will post a few more links with some more arguable tidbits of info;)
  15. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  16. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  17. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Well...this is interesting. The autoignition temp of charcoal (is that what we would call "out" wood in the WG after a fire?) is 660F. Woodsrover has already found that his refractory is well BELOW this temp.

Science is proving a falsehood! Back to the gremlins!

ac
    infinitymike likes this.
  18. Well that settles the debate. The fire was never out or "off". The temps in the refractory would not have supported auto ignition.

Guess the woodgun follows the laws of physics after all
    Taylor Sutherland likes this.
  19. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    IF the refractory was above the autoignition point...it would have followed the laws of physics also...
  20. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    What someone needs to do is run their Gun for a good long time, get everything as hot as possible, shut it off and then pull all the logs out, vacuum all the ash and embers until it is completely clean and then throw three fresh logs in and start it back up. Who's gonna be the guinea pig?
    Taylor Sutherland likes this.
  21. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ha! I could do that, if I could just catch the moment I run out of wood. The worst part of my learning curve has been making sure I have enough wood in this monster. I have opened up an empty boiler all too often. Not good for gassification.

ac
  22. Gasifier

Loc:
    Ohhhhhh. That is no big deal. Mike will do it. Personally, I don't see the point. The wood gun can go a long time by keeping the coals hot when it closes off the fire chamber. Then, get the fire going again in a hurry by blowing a lot of air on those embers. Even if there is only one. Works great. For those who do not have storage, or that do, it works great.
  23. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    That won't be a true comparison since that is not what happens typically.
    What might be better would be to let a fire burn for a while then let it sit "off" for a few hours.
    Then turn the unit on and take a heat gun to the coals to see if they starting glowing red, than we will know if the radiant heat from the refractory will light the coals.

Are we having fun yet?!
  24. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sort of...it's getting cooler here!
  25. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Just to mix it up a bit and since you guys said you like my videos here is another one.
    Gasifier likes this.