Thinking.................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
I know- it's dangerous to do but sometimes necesarry. As you all know, I'm currently packin' a 42cc Craftsman. It seems to be getting old and I was thinking of a 46cc Poulan but what I've cound is that they have a 20" bar. I'd like to stay with the 18" and also wonder can I take the chain/ bar with me from the Craftsman to the Poulan? Thanks..................

Yes, but will the stuff fit..................

Sears didn't make that Craftsman saw. The low bidder on their rfq did. I'd say there is a good chance that the low bidder was Poulan.

Hmm, cool. Silly me- I ought to be cross- referencing part#'s and replacement parts fit what, yeah................

I only ran craftsmans, small poulans and and old homelight for years. In fact I bought a new 40cc craftsman last fall, just so I wouldn't have to mess with any of my old junk for a change. Then I was at a yardsale, and bought a nice Jonsered for $80, about half what the craftsman cost. I tell ya, I am keeping all the craftsmans, junking the little poulans and the homelite, and if I ever buy another saw, it will be a pro model like a husky or jonsered. I use to laugh at all these expensive chainsaws, but now I am sold.

yeah- I know everyone swears by a pro saw around here, but the thing is- I don't cut enough per session to warrant the cost of a pro level unit. I'd just like a little more umphoutta the saw so I thought a Poulan might be the hot ticket while retaining an 18" bar and chain. Anything longer is overkill for my needs....................

My first saw 30 years ago was a Poulan.

After that POS, I moved to a Homelite which was somewhat better.

Finally graduated to a Stihl and have been impressed for 12 years.

You should find someone with a higher end saw that would let you use it to cut off a stick or two. I used to have a 40cc class Poulan with a 20" bar (wishful thinking, I know) but didn't know what I was missing until I moved up to the Husky 51. I used that saw for years and have just now added a Husky 570 (68cc) for cutting the stuff that is just a little out of the 51's league. The 51 runs a 16" bar and the 570 a 20". I just got a 28"bar with a skip tooth chain for that rare, really big stuff. The fruits of a better saw and sharper chain are less work when you are cutting and less time spent cutting.
Also, don't forget the used market if your budget is a concern. Both of my saws were bought used and I don't regret that a bit.

That's what I'm afraid of, I'll get a taste of honey then I'll have to have it. Granted- I was astounded when I switched to a semi chisel chain from the store bought, safety chain, that cut my work way down as well as time spent cutting. I just think that the mostly 8 to 12" dead standing anything more than 46cc would really be overkill. I've got a buddy with an MS 250, but like I say- I'm afraid if I try it that I'm gonna have to have it..................

cycloptic pendulum said:
a lighter saw weighs less!

true, but a lighter saw with more power requires the same amount of effort...just gets more done.

Two different discussions: moving from the box store cheap 40 cc to bigger motor 50+ cc. second discussion is jumping up in quality level. a stihl 250 is not high end, nor even mid range, but will be a big improvement over what you have.

How about used pro saws in the same money range? You could be in 026, 346, 5100 range for $200-300
I had a top handle poulan and a gear drive david bradley and some other assorted old junk to cut for 3 or 4 housesholds for several years. bought a used 026 for $125 and thought it was heaven on earth. Faster, lighter, more reliable, better AV, and less wasted time fiddling with saw. vastly improved production and more fun. Thought it was a big saw compared to what I had.

50 to 55cc to me is about the perfect homeowner range. light, nimble and easy to handle for long hours.
Also puts you in good position to add a lot more production with 60 to 80 cc stuff later. That can be your 'next saw'. There doesn't seem to be a 'last saw'.

look at the trading post on arboristsite.com.
the odds of good people are better.

Craigslist is decent chance, but usually high around here. Lots of cheap homwowner stuff but brand names go high. ebay, not for me, way overpriced usually and no idea of seller. and no seeing the saw.

Let's remember what and where he is cutting here. New Mexico firewood is Juniper, Pine and Fir. A decent 40cc saw with narrow kerf chain will rip through that stuff in no time. I know because I made short work of two big solid pines this week with a 40cc Husky.

You won't regret buying a good chainsaw no matter how little you cut-most hate to spend $$ on tools that don't see much use, chances are 6 months & beyond from now you won't even think about the cost. Its an investment that if cared for should last many years of use. I too have a 42cc Craftsman saw that I got new about 7 years ago and cut quite a bit with. After getting that saw I came across an old Stihl 028 about 4 years ago from the late 1970's vintage and found what joy it was over the Craftsman to use-mainly in the minimal antivibe, started good when hot, and better cutting torque in saw that's 20-25 years older than the Craftsman! Now I've added to the arsenal and bought new Echo's and enjoy cutting with them since my burning wood interest/wood pile increases every year. I actually look forward to cutting firewood now.

A month ago I dug out the Craftsman to cut some tree roots out and I was quickly reminded why I don't enjoy cutting with it anymore.

Reliability is better with the Stihls/Huskys etc that are designed for the pros

Having your saw quit, having a part vibrate off etc when you're ready to get some wood cut is a major PITA.

Had numerous episodes with the Poulan and Homelite before I went to the Stihl.

My thinking is that if the Craftsman has worked well over the last 6-8 years or so, and with the type of wood you are cutting (lighter species and dead/standing) why not just get another craftsman? i.e why get a pro saw and spend all that money when it might be not needed...guess it depends on your cash flow ? :)

Yeah- the Craftsman has done what has needed to be done, so I guess another 42cc unit would be the ticket. Money isn't growing on trees right now so that doesn't help either............

Status
Not open for further replies.