Thinning Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is the first area that I'm going to thin out the small Basswood and leave the hard maple to help it develop better.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0750.jpg
    100_0750.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 275
It is pretty noble to buck the trend of people taking just the good stuff and leaving the woods full of junk. In the last round of logging, I had all the junk taken out that had taken over since the property was high graded 20 years ago. It didn't generate a lot of cash as much of it went for pulp but hopefully it was a good long term investment.

SolarAndWood said:
It is pretty noble to buck the trend of people taking just the good stuff and leaving the woods full of junk. In the last round of logging, I had all the junk taken out that had taken over since the property was high graded 20 years ago. It didn't generate a lot of cash as much of it went for pulp but hopefully it was a good long term investment.

I'm sure it will be a good long term investment for you, once the leaves came out on the trees on our property in the area that I'm going to thin out I noticed that we have alot of hard maple taking over.

zap

I've noticed that too. Helps the blackberries as well. Keeps the bears happy.

I think thinning the smaller stuff is a great way to get firewood plus improve the forest. most of the woods around here could yield a lot of firewood without removing any marketable timber. In fact, removing the firewood would help the timber grow better. it isn't very common to see people thinning the woods. most just wait until there are trees to sell, then sell off the saleable stuff. Timber management only seems to happen when you own the woods where you cut firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.