Third break-in fire, now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I've done break-in fires each of the last 3 days. I've seen that some others do more than that, but my plan - based on reading this forum - was 3 fires. The first at 300F for an hour, the second at 400F for an hour (I actually ran it to around 450 yesterday according to my magnetic Rutland for about 2 hours, just because it took so long to burn out after I stopped adding fuel), and I'm currently working it up to 500F today.

My question is, can I choose to keep this third fire going? Or, as a "break-in" fire should I let it work up to 500 for an hour or two and let it go out and cool completely? I'm anxious to shut my windows and actually see how this baby heats up the house, but I'm keeping windows open in case there are more fumes.

Thoughts?

Loosen up on the reins and let that puppy run.

That's the answer I was hoping for. Think I'll do just that. I'll leave the windows open for a couple of hours, and then shut them and see how toasty it is in here with all the thermostats turned down.

Thanks

Adios Pantalones said:
Now the stove is done. Pull it out and replace.

You should see the dumpster full of toilets outside my house.

I had to read this three times before I got it and started laughing. I think I get your point. It is a wood stove. It is for burning wood. Think I'll burn wood in it....

It is nice, yeah. What is also nice is that each day it took a little less time for me to get the fire roaring quickly. Getting more comfortable with each fire, which is good.

I am particularly anxious to shut these windows and see what it does to the house in terms of warmth. I've had to rely completely on oil the past couple of days...

I'm in CT too and have been deliriously telling everyone who will listen for more than 15 seconds how we're now burning zero oil to heat our 2800 sq ft victorian. This Heritage is a freakin' machine, and I know I'm still not getting it up to its full heat potential due unfortunately to some wetness in the wood and to my occasional inability to build a consistently well-burning fire. I am managing to clean up most of the glass tho, which is really encouraging. It was BLACK the other day, to the point where you couldn't see thru it. Now just two little dark patches in the lower corners.

Woodstove Wife is stuck home today and did just say: "the fire is good, but not as hot as you usually get it..." I think she's learning :)

We'll see how blackened my glass is when i get home from work :)

I think the hardest part of installing a new stove is the willpower you need to keep from loading her up and letting her rip. You still might get a little of that paint smell, when firing up to new levels. But don't let that stop you from shooting a flame out the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.