This cant be right, NC 13 owners please look at these photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
Is this what the primary air control is suppose to look like? Every picture I have been able to find on the net shows the control lever coming strait out, not bent upwards. The total sliding distance is only around 3" from all of the way open until the little spring hits the ash tray. And when I open the stove door it always hits the spring. Looking in the rear of the unit through the intake hole. I see a triangular opening that I would assume the sliding primary air damper plate should be regulating. Whether the primary control is pulled open all of the way or closed all of the way I cannot see the sliding plate at all. Before I go and try and bend the primary rod strait, I want to make sure its bent to start with. The stove was a floor model at Home Depot where it could have been abused by who knows who. Since I've never saw another 13 before I bought this one I never considered the bend to be abnormal.

Attachments

• 100_1876.jpg
    100_1876.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1875.jpg
    100_1875.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_1871.jpg
    100_1871.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 284
That thing slid out and got bent in shipping somehow or some clown bent it at HD playing around. It is supposed to be straight.

Oh wait, I don't own a 13. Seen a bunch of'em though and that rod is bent and it should not be. Take that stove back and get another one.

reaperman said:
Is this what the primary air control is suppose to look like? Every picture I have been able to find on the net shows the control lever coming strait out, not bent upwards. The total sliding distance is only around 3" from all of the way open until the little spring hits the ash tray. And when I open the stove door it always hits the spring. Looking in the rear of the unit through the intake hole. I see a triangular opening that I would assume the sliding primary air damper plate should be regulating. Whether the primary control is pulled open all of the way or closed all of the way I cannot see the sliding plate at all. Before I go and try and bend the primary rod strait, I want to make sure its bent to start with. The stove was a floor model at Home Depot where it could have been abused by who knows who. Since I've never saw another 13 before I bought this one I never considered the bend to be abnormal.

I think you already know the answer to the question.

BrotherBart said:
That thing slid out and got bent in shipping somehow or some clown bent it at HD playing around. It is supposed to be straight.

Oh wait, I don't own a 13. Seen a bunch of'em though and that rod is bent and it should not be. Take that stove back and get another one.

Thanks for the fast reply, I cant exchange it for another because my store doesnt stock the units anymore and will no longer be. I'll try and bend it back myself, maybe I should call HD first and get their opinion. This confirm my suspicions that the slider wasnt doing jack####.

Ok problem solved, I was able to heat up the rod with a torch and bend, pound, twist, the rod strait enough to where it slides in and out without hassle. I was pretty impressed with the burn times with the primary air opened for the past 2 days. Now that I can actually close it down, I feel I may be even more impressed.

As far as the glass goes, its just a poor picture, its surprisingly clean. My old smoke dragon had two glass doors and I dont think I ever actually saw a fire in action, even after cleaning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.