This Craigslist offer seems actually fair!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
http://easttexas.craigslist.org/for/2453184549.html

NEED LARGE RED OAK CUT UP ON TRAILER TO BE SPLIT. WILL MAKE ABOUT 3 CORDS.
CAN BRING TO SPLITTER'S SITE. WOULD LIKE IT DONE FOR HALF THE WOOD?
CALL VIC @ 903 758-8311

So, he'll bring all that wood to you. You split it and keep half. Seems like a fair deal. You could split his half then do your own at your leisure. Especially good if Mr. Vic will leave his trailer full of wood for you to do when you get a chance. Even better if he helps unload the trailer then reloads his own split wood. All you'd be out is your time and gasoline. Heck, I might even ask him to kick in for gas money.

Anyone see this as a bad deal? Not that I'm going to do it. I don't have a splitter and I don't live anywhere close to this guy, just thought it was one of the few deals on CL that might make sense.

Yep that's a deal!

I'd do it, but I don't think he'll drive that far!

I'd be all over that. I can split a cord and a half a lot faster and a lot cheaper than I can go scrounge a cord and a half.

Great deal if you're close alright

I have been to two goat ropings and a world's fair but I have never seen a three cord red oak. Seen some big ones, since that is what most of my five acres of woods consists of, but nothing in three cord territory. Or a trailer that will carry fifteen thousand pounds for that matter. :coolsmirk:

Maybe he meant 3 Chords ... aka ricks..... aka face cords

Shawn

Them ole boys down in Longview never heard of a rick of wood. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I have been to two goat ropings and a world's fair but I have never seen a three cord red oak. Seen some big ones, since that is what most of my five acres of woods consists of, but nothing in three cord territory. Or a trailer that will carry fifteen thousand pounds for that matter. :coolsmirk:

By "firewood" he means "brush" and by "splitter" he means "wood chipper"...I'm sure the brush cubes out to 3 cord.

I have a couple red oaks in my woods that are probably over 2 cord. That is one big tree! Hope whoever splits it has some help moving those rounds.

BrotherBart said:

Lots of trailers that will haul 15,000 pounds. Not to many red oaks that produce three cord.

Well, disregard the numbers but the point is, regardless of how much wood there is in it for you, getting half the take for splitting it is a pretty good deal, as long as there is enough to make it worth while. After all, he's bringing the wood to you.

Doesn't seem like a fair deal to me, dude is ripping himself off.

Sounds like a good deal.....splitting is alot easier than cutting, hauling and splitting! I have a red oak on my place that is 15 feet in circumference so diameter is about 54 inches, it is very tall with a good size crown. Dwarfing all the other trees around. Notsure how much wood would be in it. It survived as it is just about 15 feet from a four corner property line and they all used it when saying many years ago, "my line is over at that big oak tree" according to the old timers around here.

pdxdave said:
Doesn't seem like a fair deal to me, dude is ripping himself off.

Dave, the wood is worth nothing at all until it is split. If I provide my expensive equipment and my time, how is taking half the wood not fair?
He could go out and pay $100 (most likely more) and rent a splitter for the day and do it himself. Or....

He could give the wood away (or let it rot) and go out and buy three split cords for $500 to $600. Or....

He could go in halfsies with someone who will provide the equipment and labor to do the job.

I think it is a good, and fair deal, for all parties concerned. And remember, HE is the one offering the deal, NOT the splitter owner/operator.

Sounds like a good deal and we have to remember that a whole lot of folks really don't know how much a cord of wood is, especially before it is cut, split and stacked. Most folks just guess.....and most folks are poor guessers. I'd split that for sure.

Yep, B.S. As I said earlier, it doesn't really matter how much wood is there. I'd split just about any amount for half the wood. But more wood = more better!

Now... if can just find me a good deal on a splitter!

Hey Ken. I'll loan you mine for a while if you want to come and pick it up.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Ken. I'll loan you mine for a while if you want to come and pick it up.

Darn! B.S. I just got home from Michigan last Sunday. Wish I had known. Surely I could have talked Continental Airlines into loading it up in the baggage bay. Or maybe let me carry it on the plane and stash it in the overhead bin!

I appreciate the offer, my friend!

I wonder if you could take that a carry-on?! :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.