This forum is cool...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman2424

Jun 13, 2016
Michigan
Reverse-pun intended.

My boring story, not that anybody cares: I love fires. The crackling, the smell, the dancing flames and the cheery ambiance. I love the idea of an independent heating source. I love the fact that I'll soon be able to transform the ICEBOX that is the poorly insulated 1960s addition to my home into a sweltering sauna.

I've saved money for years in preparation for the day when I'd finally be able to purchase and install a wood stove insert. Well, that time has finally arrived. I've got the unit selected (Napoleon Oakdale EPI3T), the installation scheduled, and a cord of split, two-year seasoned wood on a log rack out back. It's funny, I've been stockpiling logs for ages, raiding sections of tree trunks from curb sides whenever the city chopped down a dying tree.

I'm ready. Everything goes down the week of 6/20.

I'm a rookie when it comes to burning wood indoors, and this place has been a great resource. Thanks to all you fellow firebugs who've helped me along the way...even if you had no clue you were doing so!

God bless...

Welcome! You are correct, this forum is cool. With a lot of helpful people with many years burning experience. I am so glad I joined it last year.
You are at the right place to learn all you need for safely heating your icebox. I consider myself a rookie and I learn something everyday.

Reactions: iceman2424
Welcome to Hearth.com. Dry wood and and decent draft with a tall enough chimney should make that stove perform well. Keep us posted and take some pictures. We need more reports on the new line of Napoleon stoves.

Welcome to Hearth.com. Dry wood and and decent draft with a tall enough chimney should make that stove perform well. Keep us posted and take some pictures. We need more reports on the new line of Napoleon stoves.

Thanks!

You're 100% correct, I noticed there that there is indeed a lack of intel out there on these stoves. That made me a little nervous when it came to pulling the trigger but I've run across a few Napoleon junkies who have assured me it'd be a sound investment. Plus, I liked the fact that the company was stable, especially considering the fact that a VC unit was also on my list.

Great idea - I'll definitely return to this thread with updates and pictures.

Welcome to the forum! You'll have all the support you need from the awesome people on here. Here's to a warm '16/'17 Winter!

I hear that @7acres. I almost want winter to get here faster. ALMOST.

Alright, documentation will now commence. Below is a visual that shows my current situation. The piece of crap existing fireplace ain't much good save for a nice home for spiders. It also serves as an excellent air conditioning unit during the winter months. My wife has spent many a night curled into a fetal position on the couch shivering, clad in a snowmobile suit and Russian fur hat, and wrapped in several heavy down blankets. Sexy!

fire1.jpg

Reactions: gregbesia
Welcome to the forum! Just a heads-up on your hearth .... make sure you have the proper clearance in front (check the manual). May want to extend the tiles (?) out a bit further to protect your home from embers on the carpet. More space for easy clean-up of wood rubble from loading too.

Go Tigers - welcome!

Come winter you'll have your sauna to watch the lions/packers.

Let us know how it goes.

Can't believe the Tigers are only 2 games back. Seems like they should be 30 back. Or in 1st place. Been an odd year for the Motor City Kitties, eh?

So, I gotta ask - you a Pack or Lions fan? I know a lot of Yoopers lean Packers, and that used to annoy me, but as I grew older I realized how smart you guys are in distancing yourselves from the disaster that is the Lions.

Either way, dangit, you just got me pumped for winter again...fire, Lions, bottle of Two Hearted...bang, heaven.

The wood stove install is booked for this Wednesday and Thursday. I made my own mantle, so that's ready to go. I'll follow up with pics on Friday!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Just a heads-up on your hearth .... make sure you have the proper clearance in front (check the manual). May want to extend the tiles (?) out a bit further to protect your home from embers on the carpet. More space for easy clean-up of wood rubble from loading too.

Rock 'n roll, @Lake Girl . Good call. I'd planned on going the minimum distance as required by code (18 inches, I believe), but now that you mention it, I might go a bit further. And yep, we're using tiles. Cheap ones, but whatever. The fire is what matters here.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Hmmmm . . . so you love fire. Don't worry . . . we have a special program here at the fire house for folks like you -- it's our juvenile firesetter intervention program . . . unless you are above the age of 18 and have an abnormal interest in fire setting behavior . . . in which case that would be our special "Arresting the Arsonist" package. ;) :)

Actually, welcome to the forum . . . and you're right . . . this is a special place full of some very special people (some are more special than others) . . . because we "get you" and understand your passion and zeal for burning . . . just as long as you keep the burning in the woodstove, insert, etc. ;)

Welcome, can't wait to hear what you think of that insert. I've got an Englander 30 NC in the basement that supplies plenty of heat, but I'm still toying with the idea of replacing my old fireplace with an insert at some point. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics once that thing's installed.

Welcome aboard. Eager to hear how the nap performs for you (when weather permit, obviously). You should have plenty of time to get a couple of fires in the new unit for the break in while you can still open the windows.;)

I can't agree more with your original post - all the things I love and crave.

I'm adding a zero clearance wood burning fireplace from scratch to my 1955 house - for all the same reasons you mentioned. I too couldn't have figured everything out without the help of you members - thanks, thanks, thanks!

Napoleon has some gorgeous units and I can't wait to see your pictures - your room has the perfect layout!

Best to you and your new insert - you'll be making fires in July, just to have the light show!!!

Matt

Alright, it's go-time. The installers were out on Wednesday - they cut and laid the tile and rerouted some electrical up from the basement (for the blower). They also removed the old glass door and fire grate, and cleaned the interior of the old firebox.

pic1.jpg

They came out today to finish the job. Ran the liner kit down the chimney, flashing and cap, installed the insert, grout on the tiles, and hung the mantle (I built that mantle and saved a ton).

pic2.jpg

Naturally, that painting is just keeping that spot warm for the TV...that'll be my next project. Hopefully I don't electrocute myself. I also want to order a cord of wood (at minimum) to add to the one I've already got.

90 degrees this weekend in Michigan. Not too hot for a couple break-in fires is it? Speaking of which...any advice on that from you pros? To be honest, the instructions for first fires in the manual were pretty crappy...

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: HearthPlus
I can't agree more with your original post - all the things I love and crave.

I'm adding a zero clearance wood burning fireplace from scratch to my 1955 house - for all the same reasons you mentioned. I too couldn't have figured everything out without the help of you members - thanks, thanks, thanks!

Napoleon has some gorgeous units and I can't wait to see your pictures - your room has the perfect layout!

Best to you and your new insert - you'll be making fires in July, just to have the light show!!!

Matt

Nice, man! Details? This stuff gets me jacked...nice talking to people on hearth.com about it because nobody in real life will listen. I can see my wife's eyes glaze over, and hear the gears whirring in her brain ("hmmm, should I make chicken or hamburgers for dinner tonight?") when I start babbling on about fire, and wood stoves, and heat, and so on...

Last edited:
Congratulations. It fits right in there. Draft may be weaker due to the warm temps. No real need to do a breakin fire other than baking the paint and maybe drying out residual moisture in the bricks. The paint won't get baked in until the stove body gets over 450-500F. I'd wait until September, but If you must burn, wait until a cool night in the 50s or 60s, open up all windows, put a fan blowing out of the closest one, and burn away.

Can't believe the Tigers are only 2 games back. Seems like they should be 30 back. Or in 1st place. Been an odd year for the Motor City Kitties, eh?

So, I gotta ask - you a Pack or Lions fan? I know a lot of Yoopers lean Packers, and that used to annoy me, but as I grew older I realized how smart you guys are in distancing yourselves from the disaster that is the Lions.

Either way, dangit, you just got me pumped for winter again...fire, Lions, bottle of Two Hearted...bang, heaven.

The wood stove install is booked for this Wednesday and Thursday. I made my own mantle, so that's ready to go. I'll follow up with pics on Friday!

It has been odd...a lot of people were ready to throw out the GM, but the players said no and seem to have stepped up to the plate a bit.

Not the biggest NFL fan, have always watched college (UM). I like to see both teams do well, but I root for the Pack as my wife is from WI.

Two Hearted is my go-to beer, whether I buy it or make a clone of it.

Nice looking install. You've made a lot more progress than I have. I bought my insert back in January, still sitting next to the fireplace on the pallet with the liner in the box in the garage. Some day when it's not so hot and other things aren't taking priority (and I can get a helping hand on the roof).

As for the break in fire, I'd wait until Sep or so once it gets cooler at night. Just warn the wife, it'll smell.

As for the cord, see if you can find someone that's selling that will let you test it. If it's not fully seasoned yet, should be getting close and you can let it continue. Don't get caught buying wood that was just cut down, it just won't be ready for this year.

Your Nap insert looks awesome - nice work! Have you fired it up yet?

Thanks! I really love the style of the Napoleon EPI3T, I just hope the quality is up to par. I will definitely provide regular reviews on this bad boy as time goes on...

Funny you should say that - I was HIGHLY considering lighting up the initial break-in fire last night. It was about 50 degrees when the sun went down. However, my wife is over 8 months pregnant and she was a little concerned about the potential effect of breathing paint fumes, so...check mate, I guess. Instead, I spent the evening building a crappy log rack out of 2x4s that were laying around in my garage, haha. Looks like Picasso built it, but it'll play.

Never fear, another opportunity for fire will arise soon!

Any updates on your efforts to install a fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.