This forum is cool...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you can become a firefighter...lol
My former Chief was fond of saying that he hated being mostly administrative; that he would much prefer setting fires. Of course, he meant controlled burns or back-fires, but it's true that most of us love fire. Fortunately, 99% or more of us are on the right side of the fire line.

BTW, I've started a thread in the Inglenook for Firefighters for those interested.

Doesn't happen often...

Hubby is in the Chief seat now ... lots of paper. He gets to set fires too - at the training site or our fire ring in the yard;)

Reactions: Sprinter
I set fires all the time (training fires for extinguisher training) . . . and get some pretty strange looks when I go to the local True Value Hardware Store and buy 2 or 3 cans of their Coleman fuel . . . I usually tell the clerk things have been a little too quiet around the fire station . . . hopefully he knows I am kidding.

Reactions: Sprinter
Advice needed. I'm looking to buy a thermometer. Would prefer to stay away from IR gun.

I obviously can't put it on the top, or flue pipe, so where do I place it on an insert like mine in order to obtain the "best" reading?

Picture1.png

Last edited:
I would say right above the glass. IR gun would be easier to use.

Reactions: iceman2424
No on the door frame but on a body of the stove. It will be a bit lower temp than the top stove figure 200-250 fd less than stove top.

If an IR thermometer can be pointed at an angle through the left hand convection slot at the top of the insert, that may give the best reading.

Reactions: iceman2424
Welcome! You are correct, this forum is cool. With a lot of helpful people with many years burning experience. I am so glad I joined it last year.
You are at the right place to learn all you need for safely heating your icebox. I consider myself a rookie and I learn something everyday.
What a nice cast insert with a huge viewing area. Did you get it in matte black or enamel finish? It's going to be a gorgeous new addition! Congratulations

First burn on the Nap tonight. Honestly, I'm blown away...

Because I'm a nerd, I took a video as well...

Attachments

• 20160901_215816.jpg
    20160901_215816.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.