This guy is hosting free lessons, who wants to sign up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI

sign me up for the advanced class

I'm no expert . . . far from it . . . but watching videos like this makes me wonder why there aren't far, far more ER visits due to inexperienced folks using chainsaws with little to no clue as to basic felling techniques and cutting practices.

Well that . . . and my other thought is that there are a lot of folks making videos of themselves doing things where they think they are experts . . . when clearly they are anything but and are setting themselves up for a world of hurt.

I do think my favorite part (like Hasufel noted) was the back and forth sawing motion of the chainsaw . . . as if that helps . . . well it may help tire him out a little sooner.

I'll stick to scrounging and let Darwin do his thing in the woods to thin the herd
before (hopefully) these guys reproduce.

To be fair, I've only pruned with my saw previous to stoving, and then only cutting carryable
scrounge in half. Even that tore out the plastic drive system on the Remington 16" electric.
Never even replaced it, and grab shorter scrounge while out "shopping".

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldman47
Pretty much looks like a Donald Trump run for the presidency. Unorthodox but successfully executed.

Being that the person dropping the tree is obviously not a spring chicken and has all four limbs, who are any of us to second guess his understanding of leverage and such? I am certainly concerned in safety while at the same time being confident of my assessments and procedures. I too have all four limbs after decades of heating with wood. One tree in all that time that didn't land on my mark and all work done without helmet, goggles, earmuffs or chaps.

I do understand that some people need more safety than others.

His name is Eugene-ius

Between him and Master Woodsman, I think I've found my crew if I ever wanted to start up a tree service.

I will give it to him, he got the tree down, and bucked it up in the process. I guess I will never understand people's need to record and share this type of stuff. I'm glad they do, it is quite entertaining.

Reactions: colin.p
Another nominee for a Darwin award

People like this are the reason why there are safety labels on a cup of coffee warning you it's hot....

Does he offer chain sharpening lessons?

I was waiting for it to drop on his truck

Reactions: CTYank
Well he got the tree down but I'm glad I was nowhere near this when it happened.

Suddenly these craigslist posts of come cut my tree down for free firewood don't bother me as much.

im going to try moving the saw back and fourth when I cut - seems to make it cut better !!! THANKS TO THIS SITE I LEARNED SOMETHING !

I have a neighbor who just cut down about 20 really nice oak trees around his house. Now he's the kinda person who you can look in the eyes wave and get no response. Every tree cut he started like you would do making a back cut and just kept getting it. Sometimes using his truck to finish pulling them over and other the natural lean just did it's thing. It scared me watching but it was one of those can't look away as tree after tree barber chaired to the ground. Was it unsafe definitely did he get it done yup and took all the wood to the dump.

I have a neighbor who just cut down about 20 really nice oak trees around his house. Now he's the kinda person who you can look in the eyes wave and get no response. Every tree cut he started like you would do making a back cut and just kept getting it. Sometimes using his truck to finish pulling them over and other the natural lean just did it's thing. It scared me watching but it was one of those can't look away as tree after tree barber chaired to the ground. Was it unsafe definitely did he get it done yup and took all the wood to the dump.
Ouch. Can you get the wood from the dump?

No can do it's a liability as per the man who works there. I will try and get pictures next time I'm out that way. Just load after load of some of the best wood you could imagine. Most is already bucked and no limbs.

No can do it's a liability as per the man who works there. I will try and get pictures next time I'm out that way. Just load after load of some of the best wood you could imagine. Most is already bucked and no limbs.
Rats! I've often wondered when I hear the liability excuse if offering up a legal waiver would get us in. At the least it would make them come up with more excuses. Is the dump municipal, and in your municipality where you pay taxes?

Took the time to watch! Wow! Amazing mistake after mistake. Glad he was ok.

That is a funny, sad video. I had a few theories as to his constant sawing action. At first I thought it was a nerves reaction. But now I think it has to do with getting the saw pinched. A pinch for him is 50% of the cuts he makes, so if he keeps the saw moving, he can feel it coming and maybe get it out in time. Now we all have pinched a bar from time to time. Ever time I do it I stop and figure out why I made the wrong cut. For me it rarely happens, but when it does. I'm moving to fast and didn't study all the weights.

While where on the subject, any videos out there with proper methods to remove a pinched saw?

That tree wasn't very big. Once he had his bar free, a quick yank with his truck would have got it down and untangled from the other trees.

I always take two saws one to cut the other out we've all been there. No how many are talented enough to get both stuck <> might have happened.

I have one saw, so it forces me the be real careful. Someone gave me a good tip. If it get it stuck and you have to leave it, unbolt the bar and remove the power head. You can go back and cut out the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.