This has been done to death I realize, but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
I have many cords of black spruce that was cut last year with a harvester. The wood isn't big (6-8) inch diameter. I've taken several samples from logs that I junked and split. Some of it is 18%mc, others 27-28%mc.

We've had a crappy late summer/fall with a lot of rain. I'm intending on selling this wood in mesh bags, as I have been doing for a few years. I do split it pretty small as well, four quarters on most of it.

I don't want to sell to anyone and have them deal with a sizzle before the wood catches properly. Is there a way, be it fan/electric heater/tarp or whatever that anyone could suggest to solve the last bit of drying this wood needs? Thanks in advance.

Bodhran.

if you sell pine, you are spreading bad juju didn't you know that? people who burn pine go blind... those that sell it go blinder :)

WTF is "junked"? "Bucked"? Then why not say it?

Conifer sapwood holds LOTS of water. Small conifer sticks have a high percentage of sapwood. Some conifers are also reluctant to release bound water, just to make things more difficult. Good luck with that.

WTF is "junked"? "Bucked"? Then why not say it?

Conifer sapwood holds LOTS of water. Small conifer sticks have a high percentage of sapwood. Some conifers are also reluctant to release bound water, just to make things more difficult. Good luck with that.
We're from different worlds, skipper. Junked means junked in my world. Eat a snickers, you know what you get like when you're hungry.

Reactions: Mike Fromme
if you sell pine, you are spreading bad juju didn't you know that? people who burn pine go blind... those that sell it go blinder :)
The only pine around here is growing on someone's front lawn.

See @Poindexter 's thread on solar kilns. He got his stacks down to single digits in one summer, if I recall.

I would look for spruce going into my solar kilns tonight at 22-30% mc to be uniformly down to 16-20% a week or two after the ice breaks out of the rivers in may 2017.

Reactions: bodhran
I would look for spruce going into my solar kilns tonight at 22-30% mc to be uniformly down to 16-20% a week or two after the ice breaks out of the rivers in may 2017.
This has been a bad few months for any decent weather here. Days and days of rain, drizzle and fog doesn't make for good drying conditions.

This has been a bad few months for any decent weather here. Days and days of rain, drizzle and fog doesn't make for good drying conditions.
Rain and drizzle wont slow my kilns noticeably since uv gets through clouds and rain is shed by the shell.

4 hours of sunlight daily and ave temps of -20dF bring my kilns to a standstill. what is your latitude?

Rain and drizzle wont slow my kilns noticeably since uv gets through clouds and rain is shed by the shell.

4 hours of sunlight daily and ave temps of -20dF bring my kilns to a standstill. what is your latitude?

47.57338° N, -52.71832° E

Status
Not open for further replies.