This has to be a new record

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I recall back in 1969-1971 we moved to northern Indiana and I was amazed to hear frogs in March. At that time we'd never heard them until some time in April around here. But since that time we have heard frogs a couple times in March but late March. Today I got the bike out for a ride.

CarbonAero2.gif

I was amazed to hear frogs! Never have I heard them this early in the year; not even when we lived in Indiana! I also saw and heard dozens of robins. The temperature right now is 64 and every day this week is forecast to be in the 60's. We may even flirt with the 70 degree mark. That would be amazing...and welcome.

So, how is Spring progressing in your area?

EDIT: Well geeze. I thought I was in the Inglenook for posting this..... Some days go that way.

EDIT: Thanks mod for moving this one where it should be.

VERY nice day here Dennis. I think we got to 61.
Didn't get out too much, due to everything still being ice, but that should be gone in a couple days.
Rain due tomorrow, so that will make a lot go away.
Lookin' good!!

Backwoods Savage said:
I recall back in 1969-1971 we moved to northern Indiana and I was amazed to hear frogs in March. At that time we'd never heard them until some time in April around here. But since that time we have heard frogs a couple times in March but late March. Today I got the bike out for a ride.

I was amazed to hear frogs! Never have I heard them this early in the year; not even when we lived in Indiana! I also saw and heard dozens of robins. The temperature right now is 64 and every day this week is forecast to be in the 60's. We may even flirt with the 70 degree mark. That would be amazing...and welcome.

EDIT: Well geeze. I thought I was in the Inglenook for posting this..... Some days go that way.

We always head back near the swamp so we can listen to the frogs, before we bought the property we would take my MIL down the road in the car so she could listen to the frogs.

swampy

Yep.... Frogs and Creepers here too Dennis. Along with Robins, Red Wing Blackbirds (Oriels), Blue Jays..

Almost all of our Lilies, Hostas, and other bulbs are popping up everywhere. Im hoping that we dont have anymore snowstorms (yeah right). Last year, was the 1st year in three years, that our Cleveland Pear trees flowered. They are so beautiful when they do... I am afraid this year they will not be flowering. They are starting to bud and a good frost will kill them off. If I didnt have so many, I would try and cover them. But we have a bunch of them lining the driveway and to much landscaping to try and cover everything.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoy this warm weather. But I wish it wasn't such a roller coaster..

I haven't heard any frogs yet on this side of the lake, but our crocuses just popped out of the ground so I expect any day now the frogs will be singing.

The weather next week is supposed to be amazing. 70's and 50m's for highs and lows. I'm probably about done burning for the year. Seems like the last week of March is usually the last fire...maybe a few weeks early this year.

The yard really greened up the past couple days.

My brother heard the spring "peepers" the other day. On many evenings I have taken the scenic route to go buy vernal pools along the edge of roads and local ponds to hear them. They can be extremely loud at times. It is one of favorite signs of spring.

So Dennis splits vertical and rides horizontal. Someone needs to tell him he has it backwards. ;-) :lol:

No frogs here yet, but I'd usually be still ice fishing. After today most all the ice is gone from the ponds w/ a high of 58.

No robins, yet either. I did see a woodchuck wondering around about a week and a 1/2 ago, and another dead in the road. WAY early for them to be out! If it doesn't stay this way, I think they are going to get hungry.

pen

That is one stylee ride but I recommend you put some pedals on it before your first ride.

We're still a fair ways away from Spring Peepers and Spring flowers . . . but I did hear a phoebe yesterday.

We also have a saying here that the frogs have to be frozen 6 times. That usually is the case too.

Jon, riding horizontal and splitting vertical just seems right to this backwards fellow.

Solar, yes, I put eggbeaters on it. Got those on both bikes.

Sad to say that the spring peepers are getting harder for me to hear. I have to be right on top of them.

75 f for a high the next seven days. lows in the 50's May have to turn the air on with the solar gain. Birs are going nuts around here. many flowers and plants coming up. The bushes and trees are budding out. I'm affraid we will get another freeze and really mess things up.

BeGreen said:
Sad to say that the spring peepers are getting harder for me to hear. I have to be right on top of them.

I can relate to that. The last several years my wife says she hears the danged things and I tell her she is full of it. Seems I have to get right next to them to hear them any more. I think it has something to do with the weather....

75 today!!!! Peepers for the first time. Bats last week, as well as swallows-the early migrants.

Still winter here. We had a snow squall today. Happy the stove is burning and keeping us warm.

(Though I did see a beautiful varied thrush at the feeder today.)

Snow storm last night. Another 6".
No green grass here yet, boys!

Frogs were peeping at my place last night too! And flowers are blooming!

Attachments

• 0314120717a.jpg
    0314120717a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 145
Backwoods...

sorry i had to drop in like this. I couldn't find the normal thread to start a new posting....? did they move it?
anyway...i have a question/problem.

we had an unusual fall last year...tremendous record setting rainfall. floodings etc etc.
with that, I was unable to cover my pile till about October. But by that time, I think the splits were thoroughly soaked. It did sit for a while till i actually started to burn.
wood prior to that was always uncovered and it is about 3 years old....cut stack and split.

during the middle of burning....seems there was an annoying influx of smoke coming into the house. I heard a few things to check for....most didn't really check the problem.

what are the chances the wood just stayed wet and didn't dry out enough before i burned it? when I would load the stove with a fire going. there would be lazy smoke trails coming back into the house and this smoke stunk. i do have the damper wide open and i crack the front door open for a few seconds till i open up all the way.

i have a lopi liberty.

all piping is clean. i just cleaned it...wasn't much there to remove regardless.

top of pipe is clean too.

any ideas?

thanks for reading and for your input.

CarbonAero2.jpg

EDIT: Thanks mod for moving this one where it should be.

So, you say lazy smoke trails coming back into the house. That has me puzzled. Do you mean you have smoke coming out of the stove? Some coming into the house somewhere else? I'm not totally understanding.

As for the wood, with flooding and the wood sitting in water, that definitely will pose a problem. Lots and lots of rain with no time in between to dry, depending upon the wood and how it was stacked, it could mean wet wood but normally, wood won't soak up rain and the surface moisture is quick to dry off. Yet I do admit there have been a couple times for us that after a long wet period the wood just did not want to burn as good. The answer for that was to make sure we had a big coal bed and keep the draft a bit more open than normal. That seemed to cure the whole thing. But it seems if you covered in October it should have been fine so long as you top covered only. This is one more reason we usually advise to stack the wood where it can get lots of wind. It really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.