This is how I roll.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
So, here is the tree:
DSCN0794Small.jpg

One with the truck for perspective, I think I paced out about 45 to 50 feet when it was down.
DSCN0795Small.jpg

--------------------------------------------
This is the Man, this is the Saw:
DSCN0796Small.jpg

You didn't think I'd forget PPE, did you?
DSCN0797Small.jpg

Seriously, I thought about putting a target of some sort on the ground to see if I could land it exactly where I wanted, but I thought that would be silly since many of you could do the same. You wouldn't see the flag I was going to use anyway. It would be right under that tree.
DSCN0798Small.jpg

Lunch time consisted of an apple and a sandwich. My wife made my son a sandwich for school today before she remembered the kids are off. he's allergic to nuts, so this is a "Soybutter" and jelly sandwich. yes, those are dinosaurs:
DSCN0799Small.jpg

after lunch I cut the limbs off and threw them in a pile:
DSCN0801Small.jpg

Then I bucked it up:
DSCN0800Small.jpg

Then I backed the truck up to load, you can see some hickory and junk from cleaning up in the timber earlier this morning:
DSCN0803Small.jpg

DSCN0802Small.jpg

Here's a nice picture with some of the main trunk in the bed so you can all play the ID game. I know what it is, but I want to see if someone can tell me why my brother asked me to take this tree down.
DSCN0804Small.jpg

This box lives in the bed of my truck. it has ropes, bungees, and ratcheting straps in it. Pile some wood around it because I didn't get a bigger load today, otherwise that would be thrown in the cab:
DSCN0805Small.jpg

Put the tailgate up and strap the "gear" tub on the back. that's where the saws and all the other necessities ride.
DSCN0806Small.jpg

DSCN0807Small.jpg

The innerds remind me of that of a Black Walnut. The tree growth however, does not. Unless your black walnut's grow different than mine....If not black walnut, my next guess is locust. I'm a newb tho so I could be WAY off.

MeThinks Black Locust.

I wish I had some leaves to take a picture of. Then i think you would have gotten it pretty quickly.

We dont have Osage up here-so if thats what it is -NO FAIR! :p

Young black walnut. Not black locust for sure.

the black walnuts have it.

This is what happens with a black walnut when it sits out alone. Most of my black walnuts grow straight and tall, and don't get much girth on them. I have also recently commented that my black walnuts tend to burn hotter and longer than what I read online. I think that what I may be learning is that in a heavy stand of trees they grow slower and denser in order to really reach up to the sun.

This tree has sat out in the open and has been able to really grow some major branches. it really is fairly young, I imagine, as the rings seem spaced pretty decently. I should probably count them to confirm. The rounds were not near as heavy as the walnut I generally harvest.

The black walnut in my yard it half the height but 3-4 times the girth and the branches are squiggly shaped. It is in close proximity to locust and shagbark hickory. Kind of ugly looking to be honest but I cant seem to bring the ole gal down.

Looks like Siberian Elm to me. Nice drop.

mrfjsf said:
The black walnut in my yard it half the height but 3-4 times the girth and the branches are squiggly shaped. It is in close proximity to locust and shagbark hickory. Kind of ugly looking to be honest but I cant seem to bring the ole gal down.
methinks my brother-in-law was not looking forward to picking up all the mess they make every year. They are building a home out there in the next month or so and when I sent him a text saying I was working out at the timber, he sent me one back asking to remove this tree.

It's the family farm and the original farm house is long gone, but there are rows of pines that Grandpa planted while in FFA. Really cool windbreaks, but a couple of the pines are looking pretty dead. I bet BIL asks for those to come down next. They are pretty tall, so it will be fun, but they are still pines, so I'll be wearing old gloves and clothes. I hate sap.

They do make quite the mess, gets worse when older like mine....CONSTANTLY picking up twigs. Good luck with he pines, I dread felling, bucking and splitting them. Just a PITA if you ask me.

Nice job dropping the tree.

I will be burning Walnut forever with all the tops laying at our farm from the last harvest. None
of our trees have that thick of an outer ring like that.

Nice score. : )

I'm still blown away...

YOU WIFE MADE YOU LUNCH? Some guys have all the luck!

Corriewf said:
SolarAndWood said:

Black Walnut.

That's too bad, probably doesn't split as easy.

SolarAndWood said:
Corriewf said:
SolarAndWood said:

Black Walnut.

That's too bad, probably doesn't split as easy.
Black walnut splits very easy. I think it has a larger outer ring because of its young age.

That looks like the young, healthy Black Walnuts here. They also grow on poor soils, where they look a lot more twisted and branchy, but in the open and decent soil, you get a tree just like yours. What about that stump? I think I see one more round there.

I tried Soy Butter for the first time recently, and was surpised how much less it sucked than I would have guessed.

Good looking stump!

I had to leave a big stump. I almost always leave exactly one round worth of stump when I'm done unless it's way back in the timber. Don't want to hit it with a mower or truck when the grass gets tall. If I knew that my BIL would burn or grind out the stump then I'd have cut it off much lower for the firewood.

BTW, if you don't catch that Solar is being sarcastic, then you haven't been around her very long, lol.

Danno77 said:
I had to leave a big stump. I almost always leave exactly one round worth of stump when I'm done unless it's way back in the timber. Don't want to hit it with a mower or truck when the grass gets tall. If I knew that my BIL would burn or grind out the stump then I'd have cut it off much lower for the firewood.

BTW, if you don't catch that Flatbed is being sarcastic, then you haven't been around her very long, lol.

Level of the stump what I llok for.

Danno, we used to drive pegs into the ground and then finish driving them when we felled the tree. Most guys rarely miss. It just sort of adds a bit of fun to the work.

it's now ready to get stacked into the 2011-2012 rack:
DSCN0809Small.jpg

That split easily. I could have done it all in 1/2 the time using a fiskars (or axe). the electric splitter is pretty handy, though.

i bought an electric splitter from lowes. i love it, beats swinging the maul. plus i get the family operating while i load new pieces in.

btuser said:
I'm still blown away...

YOU WIFE MADE YOU LUNCH? Some guys have all the luck!

Me . . . I'm still flabbergasted that someone would spend that much time cutting a sandwich into dinosaur shapes!

Status
Not open for further replies.