This is how NOT to kill a bee hive on the side of the house by burning it!! See video!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Someone use a stick with a fire on the end of it to burn out a wasp nest on the side of the house.
Now the house is not livable!!!

See video in Link below:
From >> http://www.wmur.com/news/29261804/detail.html

Family Displaced After Fire Engulfs Salem Home
Fire Begins When Resident Tries Clearing Wasp Nest

POSTED: 10:53 pm EDT September 21, 2011
UPDATED: 4:27 pm EDT September 22, 2011

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29261804/detail.html#ixzz1Yk6GboNI

SALEM, N.H. -- Firefighters from several communities responded to a house fire in Salem that started after 7 p.m. Wednesday.

When they arrived at the scene, crews said they saw flames coming out of the roof of the two-story home.

The family inside got out safely, but the home on Stanley Brook Drive sustained significant damage.

"We were called by the homeowner. When we arrived, the companies encountered a fire that was on the second floor of the home. It had extended into the attic to the roof," Salem Fire Marshall Jeff Emanuelson said.

Fire officials said the fire started when a resident tried to use burning papers on the end of a stick to remove a wasp nest. There were initial reports that an aerosol can was also used, but fire investigators said those reports weren't accurate.

The fire was contained, but not before burning off a significant portion of the roof, spreading into the attic and leaving damage to the interior of the house.

"Right now, it looks like the bulk of their items were able to be protected, but there's still some extensive damage to the home," Emanuelson said.

Firefighters said the family will not be able to live in the house for a while.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29261804/detail.html#ixzz1Yk6UUQrl

From >> http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...09/22/salem_home_damaged_by_fire_family_safe/

Salem home damaged by fire; family safe
September 22, 2011

SALEM, N.H.—A Salem home suffered extensive damage during a fire but the occupants and their two per birds made it out safely.

The fire reported on Stanley Brooke Drive at about 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday took about two dozen firefighters from several communities 45 minutes to get under control.

The blaze was reported by the homeowners.

Fire officials say it appears the fire started on the second floor and extended to the roof.

The cause remains under investigation, but investigators are looking into reports from neighbors that someone using an aerosol spray and a flame was trying to burn a hornet or wasp nest on the house.

Attachments

• SalemNHRT38houseFire1.jpg
    SalemNHRT38houseFire1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 484
  • SalemNHRT38houseFire2.jpg
    SalemNHRT38houseFire2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 446
Indeed, though at the cost of about $100 per wasp.

Biting my tongue . . .

My neighbor had a hornet nest in a low soffit over his dining room. He sprayed it a few times without success. I brought a small shop vac over with about 4 or 5 extra rigid tubes and set it next to the hole. We ran the vac for a about 2 hours on a sunny afternoon, and that thing sucked every hornet coming and going out of the hole. When we were done a quick shot of wasp spray in the shop vac and that took care of them.

No fire, and we enjoyed a few cold beverages watching it. I renamed my shop vac the bee vac 2000.

I'd laugh my ass off if you saw wasps coming & going the next day.......... Persistent little bastards.

I had a bald face hornet nest some 30ft up a tree right across from my garage, nasty devils those. Couple weekends ago I and a friend spent the afternoon picking them off the outside of the nest with are air rifles. Of course this left the nest with many holes shot through it. We had storms all last week and Mother Nature finished the job. Just some shreds hanging up there now.

fishingpol said:
My neighbor had a hornet nest in a low soffit over his dining room. He sprayed it a few times without success. I brought a small shop vac over with about 4 or 5 extra rigid tubes and set it next to the hole. We ran the vac for a about 2 hours on a sunny afternoon, and that thing sucked every hornet coming and going out of the hole. When we were done a quick shot of wasp spray in the shop vac and that took care of them.

No fire, and we enjoyed a few cold beverages watching it. I renamed my shop vac the bee vac 2000.

Very interesting idea....I have a wildly active ground hive in my yard right now. This sounds like a pretty cool idea. Perhaps I can just lay the hose next to the hole and watch the body count rise. Too bad this probably wouldn't kill the queen. But still fun I suspect....

If you don't want to put hornet/wasp spray in your shop vac, I used water one time and they all drowned. You just need a few gallons in there. I don't think a nest will survive if the majority of the workers were removed.

Soapy water does the job. No need to put poison out there to bioaccumulate in your body and your kids bodies.
I just get the mud nests out under my carport where I hang my laundry. I don't bug them. They don't bug me. I hope they eat a lot of my garden pests.

We had a nasty ground nest about a foot away from my shed, underground. I tried flooding them out after dark when I knew the workers were in there. I jammed a hose in there and ran like hell. Then I flooded it out. The next day the wasps were business as usual. Then I tried pouring some chemicals through the hose and into the nest entrance the next night. Again, business as usual the next day. By this point I was PISSED! The next day I went out wearing my Carhardt winter overalls, jacket, hat and gloves just in case. I had a can of that dielectric foam that can spray up to 25-30 feet. I jammed the nozzle in that hole and didn't let off until the can was empty. After 24 hours, I took a shovel and dug up the nest. Sometimes you just have to get up close & personal.

Either that of the wasps all died from hypothermia and cancer and my can of spray just broke their spirits. :lol:

I agree on the non-chemical use Kathleen. I used some spray since I have bee sting allergies, as well as others near me. We just needed that particular situation taken care of without incidents. Other than that we are chem free in our yard.

Now, if I could only get a chicken to climb a ladder to that hole and snack on those hornets...hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.