This is more wood than I thought.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I have a heck of a time getting white oak to burn. It just sits there and laughs at me while everything else in the stove burns happily away.
Get it dry & it'll burn burn just fine. Great actually. It generally takes 2 years to burn well. 3 years,even better if you can manage to get that far ahead.

Keep working it, you will achieve the 3 year plus plan, all will be good....

Yeah, the stuff under the blue tarp is last year's score. I did come across a branch with oak leaves on it today, so at least on of those is an oak. Roundish leaves, so I think that's red oak? I am shooting for 20" rounds. My stove takes 22", but I like to leave a little room for error. I cut the fatter stuff shorter so it's easier to split.

In case you guys haven't already guessed, I'm a bit of a tomboy. When my sister was playing with Barbie's, I was outside playing with frogs. I am a Patriots season ticket holder, have remodeled my house mostly solo, ride horses and play softball. I think I have a dress in my closet, but it's most likely sharing a hanger with my ski pants. Makeup and broken fingernails are not on my agenda!

Nothing wrong with being a bit of a tomboy. My wife may not run the chainsaw, but she is right there with me on every home improvement project and truthfully she's the brains of the operation as she grew up rehabbing a home with her father. She also likes to watch football (but roots for the Steelers and hates the Pats so there is always a bit of friction while watching the game :). ) As for make up ... I think she uses that brown stuff occasionally to cover blemishes. Fingernails are cut short and never manicured. Saw her wear a dress one time and one time only ... a borrowed wedding dress.

Some of it has really coarse bark and almost looks like cherry, but I don't remember seeing anything other than Maple leaves over there over the years. I've gotten really good at cutting on the ground and am finally in the home stretch with this batch. Next it's off to the store to buy myself a fiskars splitting axe for Christmas. I'm rather proud of myself since I am new to chain saws as of last year and had only cut large limbs before this score.

I didn't realize that women + any power tool = hot. While I was taking a break and sharpening my chain, a guy came by walking his dog and said, "I'll never say this in front of my wife, but that's really hot". There I am standing there in blue chaps, dirty sweat pants, sawdust in my hair and googles on and apparently it's all overlooked due to the aforementioned power tool. Gotta love the male mind!
Need pics

Status
Not open for further replies.