This is something you don't see everyday.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This just happened in the Giant Sequoia National Monument park this month. A German tourist was just a few hundred feet away when these twin giants fell. They had been around since the new world was just being discovered by Europeans. I guess it is now the trail of 98 giants.

The park put out this memorial video for the fallen giants.

I experienced something very similar mountain biking in Humboldt Redwoods state park. WOW!

It's been many years since I was down there but I love that park and area.

Wonder how many cords of wood you'd get out of one of those? :)

Battenkiller said:
I think I saw Bigfoot running away from the drop zone.

Posts from Bigfoot,

Todays Work. Dropped a total of two leaners today, this is the area we plan on building our cabin.

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/klondike.html
The above link is the cabin we plan on building starting next summer, attached are some pictures of the area we will build it on. Looks like some old stumps will need to be removed along with some downed trees.
Once everything dies off I’ll start the clean up.
Foot

I started in the bowl on the two conifers (one topped off & the second a leaner) after getting those done I made a run over to the cherry leaner,the top of the cherry was wedged in the top of the maple before cutting so we pulled it out, attached are some pictures.
Looks like Sunday will be spent splitting and stacking todays haul.
Foot

:)

Wonder what they do with the trees that fell????? Other then move them,,,who gets them?

Can you imagine the thunderous BOOM when they hit ??? Wow !! Sad to see that.

Shawn

Joey said:
Wonder what they do with the trees that fell????? Other then move them,,,who gets them?

More likely since its an historic event and its in a national park, they'll leave em more or less where they dropped and work the trail around them. I think it would be really cool if they bored into the suckers to reopen the trail, at least where it goes through it in the short direction...where they're covering up 100 feet or trail, they'll have to either cut one or both trees or move the trail. Be neat if they could cut one clean and remove the section of trunk to uncover the trail and make a display out of the rings in the cut trunk...put flags and signs at rings of interest to show the timeline of the tree...illustrate significant droughts, rains, fires, Viking and Columbus landings, Plymouth Rock, 1776, etc.

Too bad the tourist stopped filming when he did. Another 5 seconds and we would have seen the impact too.

mayhem said:
More likely since its an historic event and its in a national park, they'll leave em more or less where they dropped and work the trail around them. I think it would be really cool if they bored into the suckers to reopen the trail, at least where it goes through it in the short direction...where they're covering up 100 feet or trail, they'll have to either cut one or both trees or move the trail. Be neat if they could cut one clean and remove the section of trunk to uncover the trail and make a display out of the rings in the cut trunk...put flags and signs at rings of interest to show the timeline of the tree...illustrate significant droughts, rains, fires, Viking and Columbus landings, Plymouth Rock, 1776, etc.

I have to agree. That would be totally cool.

I wonder if the impact registered on seismographs? That is one big thud...

I read an interview with the tourist that shot the pics. They were all alone on the trail and though fear wasn't the first thought, as he was filming it suddenly dawned on him that maybe other trees might be falling or the spray from the impact might hurl debris toward them. This concern superseded cinematic thoughts and subconsciously he decided that maybe it would be a good time to step back a little.

I suspect they will take a cut out of the tree to keep the handicap trail open. That 6 ft wide chunk out of the trees will yield a few cords of firewood, even though the bark on these giants can be up to 3 feet thick.

I grew up in California, and my folks loved to go camping, so I spent a lot of time in State and National Parks, especially Yosemite. In my experience, when a tree came down, it was left where it fell to the extent possible/practical. If it fell across a river, damming it up and that was a problem, they'd remove some portion of the tree to allow the river to flow. If it fell across a road, they'd likely remove enough to reopen the road. As I'm quite sure you all can well imagine, doing anything at all with a fallen tree that size is a big job. The general philosophy in all of those parks is to let nature be as much as possible. If that means relocating a trail, sobeit...that's easier than trying to remove the tree or a portion of it. Rick

Now all of the maps and signs have to be changed.

"Trail Of 98 Giants"

In Humboldt Redwoods (as in most parks) they leave the trees as is. We used to have to repel them with our mountain bikes to continue the trail. Maybe on the more touristy trails they would at least cut out a place for the trail. One of the park displays (can't remember which park) Does have a labeled rings to show when columbus sailed, etc. Pretty cool.

Wonder what saw they will use to buck it?

Bit soft for heavy use but I'm dreaming of a massive cabinetmaker's bench built from part of that with a top of 5" x 12" planks,legs of 6" x 6" posts, bracing 3" x 6". Top 4 ft wide & 16' long.With tusk tenons & tapered oak or locust pegs.

Oh & I'll need about 30 volunteers to help me place it or a big forklift. ;-P

Seems a shame to have it sit there & rot,even though Redwood & Sequoia are among the the world's most decay-resistant woods.

smokinjay said:
Wonder what saw they will use to buck it?

Early model Stihl 090 Gear-Drive w/.404 8' bar or McCulloch SP125 & the same would be cool. :coolgrin:

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
In Humboldt Redwoods (as in most parks) they leave the trees as is. We used to have to repel them with our mountain bikes to continue the trail. Maybe on the more touristy trails they would at least cut out a place for the trail. One of the park displays (can't remember which park) Does have a labeled rings to show when columbus sailed, etc. Pretty cool.

Because this is a disabled persons path I suspect they will open it. Whether they tunnel or carve out the tree is to be determined. The bulk of the trees will remain as they are.

In mid October I hiked a couple stands of virgin timber, tho of course no redwoods. I went thru Dysart Woods in Ohio which is hardwood and Cathedral St Park in WV which are 300-450 yr old hemlocks. It definitely lets you know where you stand in the grand scheme of things.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
We used to have to repel them with our mountain bikes to continue the trail.

Those must have been some really ugly bikes. :lol:

shawneyboy said:
Can you imagine the thunderous BOOM when they hit ??? Wow !! Sad to see that.

Shawn

You mean there WAS a noise even if no one was around to hear it?

I guess THAT question finally got answered... ;-)

Thanks for posting that BeGreen.

Here is probably what they will do:

Judybylog-3-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.