This is the answer to 75%-80% of stove problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Dirty or clogged exhaust.

Please check your exhaust. Not by just thinking it is clean because you have only been running it for two months.

1.) Empty the tee cap
2.) Replace the tee cap and smack the vertical rise. Not in the manner of Hulk Hogan smacking his wife but a smack to loosen the ash.
3.) Check the tee cap again.
4.) Run a brush up the vertical rise.
5.) remove the combustion blower and look what is in there.
6.) If needed clean the blower.

This should take less than 20 minutes.

Sorry I forgot
7.) Drink beer and know you did good and saved $$$$

If you can not do the above this is for you.

1.) Go to your phone and call your dealer.
2.) Wait for him/her to come out and do the above.
3.) Pay $300 for that service.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:

Please check your exhaust. Not by just thinking it is clean because you have only been running it for two months.

1.) Empty the tee cap
2.) Replace the tee cap and smack the vertical rise. Not in the manner of Hulk Hogan smacking his wife but a smack to loosen the ash.

Sorry I forgot

Eric

Yep!!!!! Agree with all but #7 and 20 minutes. Mine took 30 mins because of 2 beers and a couple of sandwiches.

Excellent advice. However I do believe you missed the beer on the part about the original install. YOU KNOW THE TWO GUYS DOING THE REAL WORK, AND THE FOUR OPTICAL ENGINEERS TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO. While they are drinking all of your beer.

Burn it HOT at least once a day, and it solves most problems.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Excellent advice. However I do believe you missed the beer on the part about the original install. YOU KNOW THE TWO GUYS DOING THE REAL WORK, AND THE FOUR OPTICAL ENGINEERS TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO. While they are drinking all of your beer.

Burn it HOT at least once a day, and it solves most problems.

KC

Somehow the "Optical Engineers" seem to be non-men.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:

1.) Empty the tee cap

Sorry I forgot

Eric
I'm sure you're right, but if that's what's required, what's the advantage of installing a pellet stove? After burning just two tons of pellets you should clean your entire system, or pay $300 to have it done to insure it works properly. Wait a minute pellets cost $250-300 ton (sans delivery) vs oil costing $1.85-2.15 gal delivered. I guess it only makes sense for those who's only alternative is to heat their homes with electricity, propane, or kerosene to currently buy pellets. I guess pellets will really become a niche market.

mralias said:
Yep!!!!! Agree with all but #7 and 20 minutes. Mine took 30 mins because of 2 beers and a couple of sandwiches.

Yep, I'm with mralias on this one, although I might have to add an additional beer or 2 for the "stand back and admire my work after I'm done".

39 bags burned so far and I was outside tonight, no kidding really, saying its time to clean the pipes,,,,,

pelletizer said:
..... I was outside tonight, no kidding really, saying its time to clean the pipes,,,,,

Are you talking about your stove, or something else? :lol:

itworks said:
kinsman stoves said:

1.) Empty the tee cap

Sorry I forgot

Eric
I'm sure you're right, but if that's what's required, what's the advantage of installing a pellet stove? After burning just two tons of pellets you should clean your entire system, or pay $300 to have it done to insure it works properly. Wait a minute pellets cost $250-300 ton (sans delivery) vs oil costing $1.85-2.15 gal delivered. I guess it only makes sense for those who's only alternative is to heat their homes with electricity, propane, or kerosene to currently buy pellets. I guess pellets will really become a niche market.

If you can get heating oil for under $2.15 a gallon I would use that and heat the house. Yes pellets are high this year due to the building industry in a nose dive. Propane in my neck of the hood is still at $3 a gallon. I never said for you to spend $300 a ton for pellets on top of your stove. You have to do your own research and make your decision. You can always change your mind, this is America.

There is no reason you can not spend 20-60 minutes every couple months and do some maintenance. A pellet stove is not fire and forget.

Eric

macman said:
pelletizer said:
..... I was outside tonight, no kidding really, saying its time to clean the pipes,,,,,

<beep beep> Stop it right now! <beep beep>

Eric

OK, I will put a stop to this right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone clean your stove, and enjoy some beer!!

Going to be in the mid 60s here tomorrow. Stove will die out out in a few hours (house is at 74) install my OAK in the morn do a real nice cleaning, and..........................then enjoy some BEER!

PS also install my Bear Mountain Design thermo guard.

KC

kinsman stoves said:
macman said:
pelletizer said:

Eric

<beep beep> Awwww......c'mon Dad...we're just having some fun <beep beep>

iskiatomic said:
PS also install my Bear Mountain Design thermo guard. KC

I installed mine a while ago, and it works great....really took the worry out of the issue of possible frozen pipes.

macman said:
kinsman stoves said:
macman said:
pelletizer said:

Eric

<beep beep> Awwww......c'mon Dad...we're just having some fun <beep beep>

<beep beep> I will block your direct connect minutes!!!!! <beep beep>

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
<beep beep> I will block your direct connect minutes!!!!! <beep beep>

Eric

That's OK...I'm about ready to dump it anyway....nobody uses it anymore......Unless you want to send me your direct connect # Eric, and we can chat all the time! :cheese:

Sorry I have Verizon. I was a Nextel for many years.

Eric
330-876-0200 store

kinsman stoves said:
Sorry I have Verizon. I was a Nextel for many years.

I'm going to go Verizon too....much better coverage overall.

Stove is shut down and I will clean it tomorrow.

Oh, and 10+ yr (happy) Nextel subscriber here!
cell.gif

My dealer charges $75.00 for a service call plus mileage. I'm about 40 miles away and it cost me $125.00 last year for him to come out and clean my stove after I started having problems with a poor flame and low heat output.

"ALL" pipes will be cleaned on Sunday beer will flow too, %-P

zeta said:
Stove is shut down and I will clean it tomorrow.

Oh, and 10+ yr (happy) Nextel subscriber here!
cell.gif

Mine shut off today as per the stat, and I did a cleaning after it cooled off.....had been running 24/7 (except for cleaning) from about the middle of november.

<beep beep> Yep Zeta, I really haven't had any major issues with my Nextel, but Verizon has better coverage, and my old i95c is getting a little long in the tooth compared to the newer phones <beep beep>

Two days ago our oil furnace let out a backfire, so we called to get it serviced. Guy showed right up, cleaned it good and tested it, took about an hour. $125!

That really should be done once a year, but we skipped a year. Shame on us.

I'll be doing my first thorough cleaning of the pellet stove next weekend. Looks like this will be a twice-a-year job. I'm slow at this kind of stuff, so it might take me almost an hour if what the above posts say is true.

So that means I'd earn/save $62.50 an hour at the oil guy's rates. What are you guys complaining about again?

Oh yes, I forgot to subtract $7.00 for the beer -- I like a good dark wheat.

itworks said:
kinsman stoves said:

1.) Empty the tee cap

Sorry I forgot

Eric
I'm sure you're right, but if that's what's required, what's the advantage of installing a pellet stove? ... I guess it only makes sense for those who's only alternative is to heat their homes with electricity, propane, or kerosene to currently buy pellets. I guess pellets will really become a niche market.

What's the advantage of installing a pellet stove? Here are a few to remember...

1: Economical. Your heating dollars employ your neighbors in the harvesting, processing and transportation of that heat, not people from other regions of the world. This helps to stabilize your local economy, keeping more dollars local.
2: Enviromental. You make use of a natural, renewable resource.
3: National security. You don't contribute to a run-up in the worlds total use of oil, allowing speculators to drive up the cost of oil. Iran and other countries that don't care for the U.S raked in cash due to the unreasonably high prices we saw over the last 5 years. The less use of oil there is, the lower the price for crude will stay. and yes, EVERY BIT HELPS.

Pellets make sense on a number of levels for those who have each and every alternative available to them. Even if you believe mankind has no hand in global climate change, the above three reasons still stand. Twenty minutes to half an hour to maintain your stove is a small price to pay.

Pellets as a niche market? Honestly, how anyone can think that oil is going to remain cheap is beyond me. Are we really that short-sighted? Is our attention span so dismal? As soon as the world economy turns around, oil is going to go through the roof AGAIN and people will again be clamoring to buy Hybrid cars, pellet stoves and alternative energy generated electricity. Learn about your stove now and follow the Boy Scouts of America motto... "BE PREPARED". Only an oil dealer who hasn't moved into alternative energy would seriously counsel anyone to stay on oil alone. Keep your heating options open and you'll be better off in the future.

Funny, with the small issues I've been having with the stove, I was told to clean the pipe last nite.

I took the bottom of the pipe off, and not a helluva lot of ash came out, but it is clean. Stove is off right now, gonna be in the 60s in CT like someone else said........what else should I be cleaning today?? Or what else am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.