This is the biggest I have ever cut.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you DO with rounds that big?
This:
oak5.jpg

Or this:
big3sm.jpg

I don't have a lift on my splitter, and I got tired of trying to muscle 1000+ lb. rounds onto the footplate of a vertical splitter, so I developed a pretty simple method of handling them.

1. Use my 60" LogRite cant hook to set the round on its edge.
2. Use my Stihl 064 saw to noodle the round into 6" or 8" slabs, leaving about 1" holding it together at the bottom of each kerf, to keep the thing from splitting off and rolling over.
3. Break these slabs off one at a time and move them over to the splitter, where they're split into firewood. I can handle the slabs off a 24" - 30" round with the splitter set horizontal. I set it vertical to do the slabs from bigger rounds.

This works well, but I can generate more than a cubic yard of noodles in a day of splitting big stuff, so it's a little messy.

IMG_4917.JPG IMG_5129.JPG IMG_7614.JPG

When the rounds are that big having mill chain and noodling sometimes is the only way to process it awesome pic.

That is amazing. I am duly impressed.

That is amazing. I am duly impressed.
I know that Ashful and myself have poked back and forth about working up these large rounds. It ain't for everybody and you better have a plan. One of the reasons that I deal with the big stuff on frequent occasion is that I am set up to do it and others know that. It is work but the yield from a single round is amazing.

I would 100% kill myself if I tried mucking about with something like that. Know your limits :)

Reactions: Oldman47
I get the big stuff for one reason... Others don't want it. I cut most of my wood on the land of a 75 year old friend. I give him everything that's nice to handle (eg. 12" - 16"), and take the big stuff that he shouldn't have to deal with. I'd truly rather have all 16" rounds, as I find that the sweet spot for getting wood processed real fast, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm in the same boat Ashful no body wants to deal with the big stuff it's heavy you need the right equipment more time consuming. I love going after it best burning wood that old growth. Takes a strong back and strong mind. My father hates dealing with the big stuff so I do it he knows the payoff is much more with the big stuff but would rather deal with 16 to 20 inch rounds. Where I'm at it's easy to get your hands on the big stuff so like he said beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Status
Not open for further replies.