This is thougthful

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting! Will read the rest of it later.

Kind of gives a whole new meaning to 'mind control.'

"Eleven years ago you created a legend about three men who had been condemned to death for treachery. You pretended that you had seen a piece of paper which proved them innocent. No such piece of paper ever existed. You invented it, and later you grew to believe in it. You remember now the very moment at which you first invented it. Do you remember that?"
"Yes."
"Just now I held up the fingers of my hand to you. You saw five fingers. Do you remember that?"
"Yes."
O'Brien held up the fingers of his left hand, with the thumb concealed.
"There are five fingers there. Do you see five fingers?"
"Yes."
And he did see them, for a fleeting instant, before the scenery of his mind changed. He saw five fingers, and there was no deformity...

O'Brien torturing Winston with mind control in Orwell's 1984.

There is no published scientific study in regards to this article. It's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo saying that the placebo effect is real. We already knew that.

Heed the warning in 1984. That is why Orwell matters.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I love that we are like newborn babies in the science of genetics. So much yet to learn.

Sorry, the article came from a reasonable friend, but I did not check it out. It failed when I tried to follow through on references. At first I couldn't find backing documents. SmokeStack is correct to be skeptical. For him I did a simple google search and did find that there is a publication on the topic in the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The research is new and ongoing.The most important thing to remember is that we are in our infancy in genetics and cell science. Keep an open mind.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269910.php
http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370

Sorry, the article came from a reasonable friend, but I did not check it out. It failed when I tried to follow through on references. At first I couldn't find backing documents. SmokeStack is correct to be skeptical. For him I did a simple google search and did find that there is a publication on the topic in the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The research is new and ongoing.The most important thing to remember is that we are in our infancy in genetics and cell science. Keep an open mind.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269910.php
http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370

It's all good. I actually really enjoyed reading it. There was no need to do a search. The one sentence 4th paragraph in the article tells us.

From the article:
"because positive thoughts come from the conscience mind, while contradictory negative thoughts are usually programed in the more powerful subconscious mind."

This is exactly what "doublethink" is.

Also from the article:
"The major problem is that people are aware of their conscious beliefs and behaviors, but not of subconscious beliefs and behaviors. Most people don't even acknowledge that their subconscious mind is at play, when the fact is that the subconscious mind is a million times more powerful than the conscious mind and that we operate 95 to 99 percent of our lives from subconscious programs."

Well, well, well... I guess that puts an end to "intelligent design" wouldn't you say?

I am definitely keeping an open mind. Imagine this type of science in the wrong hands. You know, like O'Brien.

I'm not arguing with you. Just conversing on your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.