This is to stir the pot. read and look at the nice pictures. Pellet Pigs beware.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Please do not switch this to another forum. I am not trying to sell this stove anyone other than my local customers. I am just asking you to look it over.

I was a die hard pellet fan until I installed this unit in my store.

This is the Harman DVC-500 direct vent Anthracite (rice) coal burner. I have been buring it in the store for about a month and it is awesome. Other than not filling the hopper it has never went out. It is easy to light, and I sell pellets for the same price as coal, $250 a ton. Anthracite coal has 13,550 btus vs. pellets at 8,300 and corn 6,000-7,000 btus.

The stove is a direct vent and runs right through the wall using Harman's direct vent box. It then goes into a 4" P vent cleanout tee and all that is needed is a 3' vertical rise with elbow and cap. I run 6' due to foot traffic in the area of the exhaust. The complete cost with a black door and pipe is about $4,000.00 You can grab the 4" pipe at anytime and it is just "warm". Actually colder than a pellet stove.

Go ahead and fire away with questions.

Harman's description

The Harman DVC-500 Direct Vent Coal Stoker is incredibly smart and efficient. It comes standard with a computer on board which makes constant adjustments to the fuel consumed and to the heat driven into the room through the blower.

With a low setting of 7,000 BTUs, this is a stoker that doesn’t drive you out of the room with too much power. But come January, comfort is assured with a house-heating maximum of 75,000 BTUs. The DVC-500 is right for your home, regardless of the weather.

You get a whopping 93-pound hopper with the DVC-500. On low, that’s enough room for one load of quality anthracite coal to last at least four days without reloading. Even during winter at its worst, this stoker will run for days. You also get an oversized ash pan large enough to handle an entire hopper’s worth of coal. This means that you don’t have to empty more times than you reload.

The DVC-500 is a true direct vent coal stove, the first of its kind, and does not require a chimney for installation or operation. It is extremely safe and airtight, obtaining 100 percent of the air needed for the fire from outside your home and returning 100 percent of the exhaust air back outside.

You can’t get a more airtight coal stove than the DVC-500. The exhaust motor returns used air to the outside the same way, ensuring that your home stays clean and safe. In addition, there is a powerful blower dedicated solely for distributing heat through the stove and into your home.

Harman's specs

Specifications

Fuel: Rice Coal
BTU Range: 7,000 to 75,000
Heating Capacity: 2,200 sq ft
Hopper Capacity: 93 lbs
Blower Size: 135 cfm
Flue Size: 4 inches
Weight: 455 lbs
Depth: 29 inches
Height: 40-3/4 inches
Width: 25-3/4 inches
Wattage: 295 Watts
Testing: Safety Testing (by Warnock Hersey):
ASTM E1509
Mobile Home-Approved

Eric

Attachments

• IMG00052-20091218-1417.jpg
    IMG00052-20091218-1417.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,233
  • IMG00053-20091218-1417.jpg
    IMG00053-20091218-1417.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMG00055-20091218-1420.jpg
    IMG00055-20091218-1420.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG00054-20091218-1417.jpg
    IMG00054-20091218-1417.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,708
that things been out for years and years. neat machine.

Delta-T said:
that things been out for years and years. neat machine.

Yes it has been out for a while and I have had it for a year but I just hooked it up last month. I am very impressed with it and thought I would share this.

Eric

Coal is great for heat, but it is not a renewable resource- pillaging the ground and leaving mountains without tops is not great either. The other big issue is ash: these things leave fly ash everywhere and produce ash that is not good for plants or animals.... so in the end it is cheaper to run but has other costs.

-M

No one who has ever burned coal will forget the wonderful, steady heat that it puts out! I grew up in Pa. near the coal regions and had a free standing Franco Belge (I believe that's how it was spelled) in my house. One bucket of coal a day into the hopper produced a steady 78 degrees in the house all winter. I used just under 3 tons of coal. If you use the various fuel comparison tables on this site and others, you'll see that coal is by far the cheapest fuel. Now all the tree-hugging, global warming dregs out there will have a fit about burning coal, but you could put one in every house in the NE and not have as much pollution as just one Chinese coal-fired plant and those buggers build new ones every day.
Now the bad news is that down here in the South, we can't buy good ole anthracite coal. We are screwed with heat pumps or propane.

mapezzul said:
Coal is great for heat, but it is not a renewable resource- pillaging the ground and leaving mountains without tops is not great either. The other big issue is ash: these things leave fly ash everywhere and produce ash that is not good for plants or animals.... so in the end it is cheaper to run but has other costs.

-M

And out THEY come!! Aren't you supposed to be over in Copenhagen now?????? Leave fly ash everywhere.... ????? WTF are you talking about? Go hug a tree....

Coal ash//////
* It's used for making cement and concrete products
* It's used in structural fills and embankments
* It's used as mineral filler in asphalt pavement
* It's used to stabilize waste materials
* It's used to level out uneven terrain on sites including housing developments, malls and runways.

Coal ash has also been found useful in the making of:

* Paints and plastics
* Kitchen countertops
* Soil for growing plants. It increases crop yields.
* Bowling balls
* Vinyl floor covering
* Shower stalls

mapezzul said:

-M

AH yes the poopoo police!
So instead of burning coal you make all kinds of consumer trash and pillage the ground with it leaving poisonous methane belching mountains in your wake! %-P
When you recycle 100% then you can preach about coal.

Now, to get back on track with this thread.
When I can no longer burn wood I'll be down to snag one of those heat monsters. Quite a few of my older wood customers have gone to stoves like this model and love them. Put me on the list for one in say, about 25 years.

And yes it has begun. Next up......

Out of curiosity, what's the going price on that puppy?

tjnamtiw said:
Out of curiosity, what's the going price on that puppy?

unit $3,649
black door $135
wall termination $311
stove total $4095

4PVP-t $90
4PVP-36 $63
4PVP-E90 $81
4PVP-HC $39
4PVP-WS 421

Vent total $294

all suggested price and remember cash is a retailer's friend

Eric

Well coal is as renewable and as carbon neutral as pellets are.

It is all the same stuff, coal is just a lot older and more naturally compressed product.

What's a the more concentrated mineral content got to do with things anyhow?

Eric, these are anthracite stoves, correct? Where are you getting coal from? I'm in Utah and we have that "Western Bituminous" coal, just like Eastern Anth....... bull crap. There are Anthracite seams in the Mountains, but Southern California Power Companies own it all. If coal was available that was very clean, I, too would try one.

interchangabLEE said:
mapezzul said:

-M

AH yes the poopoo police!
So instead of burning coal you make all kinds of consumer trash and pillage the ground with it leaving poisonous methane belching mountains in your wake! %-P
When you recycle 100% then you can preach about coal.

Now, to get back on track with this thread.
When I can no longer burn wood I'll be down to snag one of those heat monsters. Quite a few of my older wood customers have gone to stoves like this model and love them. Put me on the list for one in say, about 25 years.

Actually I do recycle 90% thanks, I compost everything I can (naturemill produces dirt every week) and if were not for some things not being recyclable it would be 100%. Look at the ash content of your coal- and tell me where you are safely going to use that much on your property- while yes it has safe recyclable purposes the avg. home owner can not do it, excess is toxic and that was my point.

I am not a tree hugger I just believe in sustainability and that is a HUGE difference. If I was a tree hugger I would be touting solar or wind power; and that is not what I am saying. I am sorry some people just don't get it and while yes china is an issue the US still produces more emissions than all other countries. I rather not deplete things we can't put back that is all. And no I do not drive a hybrid as those are even worse considering how they make the batteries.

For what is worth, coal is great just produces too much ash for private use compared to alternatives- and yes fly ash gets everywhere go to someone's house that has one and ask how often they dust- the ash is so light that no matter what you do every time you open the thing up it will migrate.

I have witnessed many of these things to know it is not right for most. I am not going to be attacked here and will say this is my last commentary on this, some people are just stuck in the past.

I had my swing at coal. I will stick to pellets thanks anyway.

But it sounds like there are more stoves out there like this. Maybe there should be a coal stoker/ Coal Burner thread.

Don't feel it has anything to do with pellets. This is the "pellet mill and Corn crib" thread, Right? Don't see where coal fits in here.

jtakeman said:

But it sounds like there are more stoves out there like this. Maybe there should be a coal stoker/ Coal Burner thread.

Don't feel it has anything to do with pellets. This is the "pellet mill and Corn crib" thread, Right? Don't see where coal fits in here.

Jay,

Maybe someone just made a blunder, obviously Eric is hedging his bet by working on a pellet/coal/corn/cheery pit etc... device.

You take the best of each type and cross breed them, cull all of the bad ones and repeat.

Perhaps POOK works for Eric.

SmokeyTheBear said:
jtakeman said:

Jay,

Maybe someone just made a blunder, obviously Eric is hedging his bet by working on a pellet/coal/corn/cheery pit etc... device.

You take the best of each type and cross breed them, cull all of the bad ones and repeat.

Perhaps POOK works for Eric.

Nice try SmokeyTheBear. I remember Eric and Pook didn't get along to well. But if it is a multifuel fueler, Well that's a little different.

SmokeyTheBear said:

Please educate me on that one. I see where there are lots of trees growing from saplings (renewal/replacement of the source for pellets), but I've never seen where there are "coal farms" where coal is being formed. As I understand it, for all practical purposes, coal is not a renewable resource...just as oil is not a renewable resource. What there is of it is what there is of it, and there will never be any more of it...at least not in any sort of timeframe that anyone can grasp. We don't produce oil or coal, we just extract it and use it up. Neither of these resources is inexhaustible, nor is either renewable. One day there will be no more of either one that's within our power to access...and we can't produce any more. Rick

fossil said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Please educate me on that one. I see where there are lots of trees growing from saplings (renewal/replacement of the source for pellets), but I've never seen where there are "coal farms" where coal is being formed. As I understand it, for all practical purposes, coal is not a renewable resource...just as oil is not a renewable resource. What there is of it is what there is of it, and there will never be any more of it...at least not in any sort of timeframe that anyone can grasp. We don't produce oil or coal, we just extract it and use it up. Neither of these resources is inexhaustible, nor is either renewable. One day there will be no more of either one that's within our power to access...and we can't produce any more. Rick

You'll just have to wait until mother nature finishes processing all of those peat bogs.

People have such a warped perception of time, they seem to think that replacement must be immediate or within their life time.

The planet will do it eventually just like it has already done and is doing right now.

mapezzul said:
For what is worth, coal is great just produces too much ash for private use compared to alternatives- and yes fly ash gets everywhere go to someone's house that has one and ask how often they dust- the ash is so light that no matter what you do every time you open the thing up it will migrate.

I have witnessed many of these things to know it is not right for most. I am not going to be attacked here and will say this is my last commentary on this, some people are just stuck in the past.

Bye now! I had a similar, though much less sophisticated self standing coal burner using pea coal for 8 years and it was cleaner than my pellet stoves, so you don't know what you are talking about, sorry. I used the ash in my garden and had great veggies every year. You definitely wanted a low ash coal as a high ash content would cause clinkers and defeat the self feeding design. Let's see. I make 5 trips a year to Pa. so I could take my trailer with me and bring 5 tons back............. hmmmm. Now to convince my wife to replace my brand new pellet stoves with brand new coal stoves. I guess I have to move. Anyone want a nice 2800 sq ft home, 3.5 acres of oak woods, a swimming pool in a little college town with 600 people? Oh, and it has these two fireplaces.................

jtakeman said:
This is the "pellet mill and Corn crib" thread, Right? Don't see where coal fits in here.

Coal is really just a VERY HARD pellet. :)

SmokeyTheBear said:
...You'll just have to wait until mother nature finishes processing all of those peat bogs.

People have such a warped perception of time, they seem to think that replacement must be immediate or within their life time.

The planet will do it eventually just like it has already done and is doing right now.

I understand the process, Smokey, and I think I have a fairly decent grasp (or wonderment) of the time scale we're talking about. I also know that most all the fossil fuels we extract (oil, coal, natural gas) were produced some 300 million years ago during the carboniferous era. I also know that we really haven't been doing this all that long (mostly since the Industrial Revolution), and we're already having to innovate to keep the supplies coming. Yes, the earth's processes of formation of fossil fuels continues...but at a rate much slower than that at which we extract these resources. I have no doubt that we're going to exhaust our supplies of these resources in fairly short order (I don't mean next year, and no, I don't know when...but we will). I have no confidence whatever that mankind will still be on the planet 100 million years from now to extract whatever fossil fuels might be forming today. All I'm commenting on is the use of the term "renewable", because I think it really does carry a connotation of short time span...things that we can exploit in such a way as to have a sustainable source of energy...solar, wind, tide, wood, what have you. Oil, coal, natural gas do not fall into that definition. I'm no tree hugger, I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and I have extensive knowledge and experience in the nuclear field. What I'm trying to emphasize is that fossil fuels are, for all practical purposes, finite, non-renewable resources, and that while we continue to use them up we really ought to be looking to the future and figuring out what the hell we're gonna do between the time we use up all the fossil fuels and the 100 million years later when some more become available. Rick

Now lets see.... Non-renewable, hmmmmm, coal, oil, natural gas, electricity (1/2 comes from coal, less than 10% from renewable), Oh crap, I can't keep it all straight, lets just make it all fuels. Dirty old fuels, nasty nasty burners. Well, what the heck, lets not do anything about it. Let's condemn the efforts and give up.... Yeppp, We should start fires in our back yards and burn old tires, all those nasty plastic bags and lots and lots of cardboard, especially the stuff with colored inks. Burn it all and to heck with the next generation.

I can not conceive of a person not using something that is or has been harmful to the earth, and being hoity-toity knicker twisted about accusing anyone on this forum is yelling at the choir. The fuels are there, why can't we work towards a better way of using them.

I'm looking at a Stokermatic "Pellet Stove" according to the seller. I know it's a nut or pea coal stove, but if the price is right, it may be an interesting project. Not for pellets, but I am thinking about for cherry pits..... hhhhhmmmmm???????

So you pseudo environmentalists using your contaminating computers with printed circuit boards and toxic flat screen monitors go listen to your tube type radios and leave us alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.