1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

This is truly frightening...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by innkeeper, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Oregon aloha

Oregon aloha Member

Loc:
    Willamette Valley and the coast
    What was the point of the physics lesson if he was going to ignore everything he just taught? I have gotten a better fire going in less time in the driving rain then he could in a wood stove. Not too bright about fire, this one.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ddahlgren

ddahlgren Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    Well maybe sell the video camera and computer and buy some wood and a file to sharpen the chain? Oh wait he probably turned it around to use the other side of the chain.
  3. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    It's choochin!!!

Anyone remember that one?

:)
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    What I took away from this video . . .

1. Kids, don't do drugs.

2. Kids, stay in school.

3. Friends don't let friends burn green wood.
    Sprinter and stoveguy2esw like this.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Random thoughts . . .

"The key is small fuel . . . small fuel and . . . and . . . air." Huh, here I thought the key was dry fuel, oxygen and heat. Then again I am not a . . .

"I've been a fire maniac my whole life. I know fire." I guess he can remind the firefighters of that fact when he burns down his house with the wood stacked on his stove (then again it doesn't look like that stove is putting out much heat) or with the duct-taped dryer hose.

"And now we got it going really nice" with a "sustained fire" . . . thinking he would crap his pants if he ever saw any of woodstoves with the secondaries kicked in with a nice load of truly seasoned wood . . . then he would see a fire really going nice with a sustained fire. Of course, no hose is required . . . and at 39 minutes I have usually kicked back the air control on the stove and am off doing something else by then.

"And now we can kick back and enjoy the growing warmth" . . . of a slowly smoldering fire after close to 45 minutes of screwing around. If I burned like this . . . well, I would be burning oil.

And here we have some "cured wood" . . . hmmm, well with all that smoke you could perhaps cure the wood like you would cure some bacon.

If all else fails . . . when your fan craps out and you get tired of huffing and puffing I guess you can always take a stick and just randomly beat the fire . . . maybe Dennis needs to clue him in on Dennis' magical stick . . . if I was a betting man I would take Dennis' magic stick any day over this guy's beating stick.

Now I'm pretty lazy and sometimes don't sharpen my saw as often as I should . . . but I have never let my saw get to that point. I think he would be better off taking out a jack knife and sawing through the wood.

"And this is what a Scotch person does who is thrifty and who cannot afford to buy wood at $200 a cord." Or a truly thrifty person who is also frugal with their time and money could plan ahead and get seasoned wood . . . nah, that's just plain crazy.

I would love to see this guy's chimney in a month . . . heck, two weeks . . . on second thought . . . never mind . . . I suspect the local fire department will probably see his chimney in a few weeks unless he has another video on how to burn out the creosote in your chimney using a mix of dry hay and gasoline.
  6. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    My take
    Wood smoke from burning green wood KILLS brain cells[/quote]
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    WHere can i get one of those SMOKE INDUCING HOSE CONTRAPTIONS to blow some CO2 into the fire.
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    This is every "what not to do" I've ever seen, all on one video. A truly impressive feat.
  9. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    At the end, when he compared himself to the thrifty "Scots",
    My ancestors in Scotland rolled over in their graves to beat him with a freshly cut branch.Thrifty doesn't mean lazy and stupid.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  10. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I have a Scottish last name, and I'm from New England- I appreciate proper thrift.
  11. DMB

DMB New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Indiana
    Reading the comments in this post have got me laughing pretty good. Usually come here to learn, but its good to know that you guys can be hilarious too. Firefighterjake you almost made me spit coffe on my computer! LOL
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    You can learn a lot from that video. Just don't do any of it.
    firefighterjake likes this.
  13. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I wonder where this guy lives, I am in Maine right now and I see some interesting set ups for wood.
    Plus I have already heard of two fires on the news, one from an over heated chimney and the other one was not known yet but 3 guesses on that.
  14. Phoenix Hatchling

Phoenix Hatchling Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Fairfield, CT
    I would love to see the rest of the guys house:eek:
  15. Phoenix Hatchling

Phoenix Hatchling Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Fairfield, CT
    don't think I laughed that hard in a Loooooong time!!! Thanks loads!!
  16. Charles1981

Charles1981 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    For the first 1-2 minutes I was like ok so how is this guy going to get this frozen wet wood burning efficiently?

Then the hand draw picture of air, heat, and fuel came up on the back of a opened envelope and I knew this wasn't going to be good.

Then he started stacking wood on the top of the stove and I knew it was going to get worse.

Then he started chopping the wood into pencil sized pieces and just about lost it.

Then I fast forwarded the video and got so see amazing feats of blowing through a hose to stoke a fire and electrocuting oneself with a blower motor.

Thanks for posting this quality video.
  17. Rock Crusher

Rock Crusher New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    He just "proved" to us what fools we all are-cutting, splitting, stacking our fire wood 3 years out. Wasting time sharpening our saw blades, covering our wood, getting haircuts etc, we can just spend it picking out pieces of frozen wood and getting 15 minutes of being famous-more correctly-infamous. I too have laughed very hard at all the replies-THANK YOU ALL!
  18. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Iowa
    My four year old saw 10 seconds of this video and looked at me with a confused look on his face and asked "Why is that man doing it like that?"
    I'm so proud.
  19. theswampthing

theswampthing New Member

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    That was a bit insane
  20. Chris_Up_North

Chris_Up_North New Member

Loc:
    Canton, ME
    He must be related to these two bottom-of-the-gene-pool fellows. All three of them should get together and start a stove shop. Made of styrofoam. And acetone. It's amazing there aren't more Darwin awards.

21. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I couldn't get outside and cut a piece of my garden hose fast enough!!! I now know storing my wood in the swimming pool will be ok as long as I have 3' of garden hose and a couple dread locks to get it going.

Oh, by the way - I have 40+ feet of useless garden hose left over if anyone here would like I can mail you a chunk for a couple pieces of green wood?? Fair trade I believe. I am feeling warm already.
  22. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Knew a guy in WV who tried to use gas to freshen up the fire in his cookstove. The can lit and he, of course, threw it across the room. The house burned to the ground, but luckily everyone inside was OK.....
  23. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    I wonder if insurance companies can drop you for "stupid" after paying out a claim like that..... I sure don't want that guy as part of my risk pool!
  24. Chris_Up_North

Chris_Up_North New Member

Loc:
    Canton, ME
    What a re-tard.
  25. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    sorry, could only take about 2.30 of it before my brain exploded.

scariest thing is this dude actually thinks he's smart. the "chemistry" lesson was enough, this was the point where my brain started aching too bad to continue.