This is truly frightening...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the point of the physics lesson if he was going to ignore everything he just taught? I have gotten a better fire going in less time in the driving rain then he could in a wood stove. Not too bright about fire, this one.

Well maybe sell the video camera and computer and buy some wood and a file to sharpen the chain? Oh wait he probably turned it around to use the other side of the chain.

What I took away from this video . . .

1. Kids, don't do drugs.

2. Kids, stay in school.

3. Friends don't let friends burn green wood.

Random thoughts . . .

"The key is small fuel . . . small fuel and . . . and . . . air." Huh, here I thought the key was dry fuel, oxygen and heat. Then again I am not a . . .

"I've been a fire maniac my whole life. I know fire." I guess he can remind the firefighters of that fact when he burns down his house with the wood stacked on his stove (then again it doesn't look like that stove is putting out much heat) or with the duct-taped dryer hose.

"And now we got it going really nice" with a "sustained fire" . . . thinking he would crap his pants if he ever saw any of woodstoves with the secondaries kicked in with a nice load of truly seasoned wood . . . then he would see a fire really going nice with a sustained fire. Of course, no hose is required . . . and at 39 minutes I have usually kicked back the air control on the stove and am off doing something else by then.

"And now we can kick back and enjoy the growing warmth" . . . of a slowly smoldering fire after close to 45 minutes of screwing around. If I burned like this . . . well, I would be burning oil.

And here we have some "cured wood" . . . hmmm, well with all that smoke you could perhaps cure the wood like you would cure some bacon.

If all else fails . . . when your fan craps out and you get tired of huffing and puffing I guess you can always take a stick and just randomly beat the fire . . . maybe Dennis needs to clue him in on Dennis' magical stick . . . if I was a betting man I would take Dennis' magic stick any day over this guy's beating stick.

Now I'm pretty lazy and sometimes don't sharpen my saw as often as I should . . . but I have never let my saw get to that point. I think he would be better off taking out a jack knife and sawing through the wood.

"And this is what a Scotch person does who is thrifty and who cannot afford to buy wood at $200 a cord." Or a truly thrifty person who is also frugal with their time and money could plan ahead and get seasoned wood . . . nah, that's just plain crazy.

I would love to see this guy's chimney in a month . . . heck, two weeks . . . on second thought . . . never mind . . . I suspect the local fire department will probably see his chimney in a few weeks unless he has another video on how to burn out the creosote in your chimney using a mix of dry hay and gasoline.

WHere can i get one of those SMOKE INDUCING HOSE CONTRAPTIONS to blow some CO2 into the fire.

This is every "what not to do" I've ever seen, all on one video. A truly impressive feat.

Gives low down disgusting trash picking scroungers a bad name with that attitude.

At the end, when he compared himself to the thrifty "Scots",
"And this is what a Scotch person does who is thrifty and who cannot afford to buy wood at $200 a cord." Or a truly thrifty person who is also frugal with their time and money could plan ahead and get seasoned wood . . . nah, that's just plain crazy.

My ancestors in Scotland rolled over in their graves to beat him with a freshly cut branch.Thrifty doesn't mean lazy and stupid.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Reading the comments in this post have got me laughing pretty good. Usually come here to learn, but its good to know that you guys can be hilarious too. Firefighterjake you almost made me spit coffe on my computer! LOL

I wonder where this guy lives, I am in Maine right now and I see some interesting set ups for wood.
Plus I have already heard of two fires on the news, one from an over heated chimney and the other one was not known yet but 3 guesses on that.

I would love to see the rest of the guys house:eek:

Random thoughts . . .
I would love to see this guy's chimney in a month . . . heck, two weeks . . . on second thought . . . never mind . . . I suspect the local fire department will probably see his chimney in a few weeks unless he has another video on how to burn out the creosote in your chimney using a mix of dry hay and gasoline.

don't think I laughed that hard in a Loooooong time!!! Thanks loads!!

For the first 1-2 minutes I was like ok so how is this guy going to get this frozen wet wood burning efficiently?

Then the hand draw picture of air, heat, and fuel came up on the back of a opened envelope and I knew this wasn't going to be good.

Then he started stacking wood on the top of the stove and I knew it was going to get worse.

Then he started chopping the wood into pencil sized pieces and just about lost it.

Then I fast forwarded the video and got so see amazing feats of blowing through a hose to stoke a fire and electrocuting oneself with a blower motor.

Thanks for posting this quality video.

He just "proved" to us what fools we all are-cutting, splitting, stacking our fire wood 3 years out. Wasting time sharpening our saw blades, covering our wood, getting haircuts etc, we can just spend it picking out pieces of frozen wood and getting 15 minutes of being famous-more correctly-infamous. I too have laughed very hard at all the replies-THANK YOU ALL!

My four year old saw 10 seconds of this video and looked at me with a confused look on his face and asked "Why is that man doing it like that?"
I'm so proud.

He must be related to these two bottom-of-the-gene-pool fellows. All three of them should get together and start a stove shop. Made of styrofoam. And acetone. It's amazing there aren't more Darwin awards.

I couldn't get outside and cut a piece of my garden hose fast enough!!! I now know storing my wood in the swimming pool will be ok as long as I have 3' of garden hose and a couple dread locks to get it going.

Oh, by the way - I have 40+ feet of useless garden hose left over if anyone here would like I can mail you a chunk for a couple pieces of green wood?? Fair trade I believe. I am feeling warm already.

Knew a guy in WV who tried to use gas to freshen up the fire in his cookstove. The can lit and he, of course, threw it across the room. The house burned to the ground, but luckily everyone inside was OK.....

I wonder if insurance companies can drop you for "stupid" after paying out a claim like that..... I sure don't want that guy as part of my risk pool!

sorry, could only take about 2.30 of it before my brain exploded.

scariest thing is this dude actually thinks he's smart. the "chemistry" lesson was enough, this was the point where my brain started aching too bad to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.