This is what I have to see every day! LOL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
On my way home each night, I drive by this landscaping yard that is right on the border of Southfield & Detroit, Mi which is very much all city. I am always amazed by the monster pile of splits and wood they get from all the local tree services. What drives me crazy is that there can be no way this stuff could ever season; I would think that most of the pile turns to rot! Every day this is a tease to me!!! Wish I could have just a couple of those logs there dropped off in my driveway!

Attachments

• IMG00073-20100701-1646.jpg
    IMG00073-20100701-1646.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG00075-20100701-1646.jpg
    IMG00075-20100701-1646.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,050
What do they do with all that? Rick

fossil said:
What do they do with all that? Rick
Gee... lemme guess... Sell it?

I checked; $85 face cord + delivery. This spring they had about half of that pile left over and noticed once day they were just taking one of their big end loaders and moving the pile over. The one time I asked about their wood, they claimed it was very well seasoned and of course all hardwood. Hard to tell without taking a couple of splits, but I have enough at my place. It's just interesting to see how or what a landscaping supply does with it.

A place near my work in Rochester Hills has a stack similar to that but they toss from the one side and pull from the back side. I can't imagine it's ever well seasoned but I'd say it's a lot better then the guys who cut to length and split when you order it from them.

The wood I got from a landscaping company last year came with lots of free dirt, gravel, blacktop and rocks. I'm still trying to get it out of my yard where they dumped it and I probably need a new mower blade from the dings. They used a loader to fill their truck, grabbed up everything in their parking lot, I guess.

Went with a cut/split to order guy, the wood may be about 10% moister, but clean-up was a breeze and the wood itself was cleaner.

I get mine from a general contractor / builder who does the wood thing on the side. He gets the stuff from job sites. A cord C/S/D for $150. One of the other local landscaping supply advertises "ready to burn" only delivers from August to April and gets $350 per cord C/S/D! What's interesting to me is I know people who get there wood from them and I always see quite a bit of steam from their chimneys.

Apparently around here nobody stores wood. Even the guy I get mine from is surprised when I call for more wood off season. I scrounged about a 1/3 of a cord so far.

Thats a hell of a big pile. I drive by a big pile much smaller and I also question the woods seasoning ability in such a situation, aint gonna happen as far as I am concerned, now I know where my $125.00 cords come from and why they smell the way they do.

rdust said:
A place near my work in Rochester Hills has a stack similar to that but they toss from the one side and pull from the back side. I can't imagine it's ever well seasoned but I'd say it's a lot better then the guys who cut to length and split when you order it from them.

Is that on South BLVD.?

heatit said:
On my way home each night, I drive by this landscaping yard that is right on the border of Southfield & Detroit, Mi which is very much all city. I am always amazed by the monster pile of splits and wood they get from all the local tree services. What drives me crazy is that there can be no way this stuff could ever season; I would think that most of the pile turns to rot! Every day this is a tease to me!!! Wish I could have just a couple of those logs there dropped off in my driveway!

Where is that exactly?
Looks like Northwestern HWY/M10 and Telegraph area!

Hiram Maxim said:
Is that on South BLVD.?

A rental place on Auburn west of Crooks. Here's a sat. shot, it's looks to be a bigger pile now, I'll snap a cell pick next time I drive by.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 390
Hiram Maxim said:
heatit said:

Where is that exactly?
Looks like Northwestern HWY/M10 and Telegraph area!
This is at 8 mile and Lasher

Here's my version, Firewood processing facility & land clearing co.

Attachments

• IMG00228.jpg
    IMG00228.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG00229.jpg
    IMG00229.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 270
Now how would you like to stack all those splits................................by yourself? :eek:hh:

If it meant getting all that at a scroungers rate.... the yes, with one hand tied behind my back and one shoe tied to the other!

Why the fence around that pile? You would think the wood was dying to get in.

Uhhh that was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.