This just showed up yesterday :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
This just shows up yesterday. The tree trimmer down the road from my dads place pulls into his drive and ask if we wanted the oak wood. Dad being a Hoarder for everything says SURE. Well I did really want anymore wood but Im going like a few of you here with about 8-9 years worth of wood.

image_22.jpe

image_23.jpe

The local power company has been cutting trees back from the lines here and I picked up 9 truck loads from the side of the road. Free wood is like money in the bank

Could be worse; Dad could be hording Tulip Poplar and Cottonwood. ;lol

Reactions: Jags and 7acres
What kind of Oak? Looks from here like it might be something in the White group? I don't suppose there are any leaves...looks like it was pretty dead. How much do you figure is there?

The only thing that's a pain about power company and tree trimmer scores is the odd lengths of each round. I end up with a hundred little cutoffs as I true up each round to 18".

It's worth it though. Just save the cutoffs for making premium hardwood charcoal to feed the grill. ;)

Likely you know other wood burners so you could share the wealth with them ... if you can convince Dad to part with it!

The only thing that's a pain about power company and tree trimmer scores is the odd lengths of each round. I end up with a hundred little cutoffs as I true up each round to 18".
So true.. I work for a power company and every once in while our tree trimmers have to bring wood back to the shop due to a property owner not wanting the wood, I've been scoring a years worth of wood evert year, the problem I'm having is if the rounds are really big and heavy the tree trimmers cut them into small 12" thick cookies, its a bit of a pain but free is free and I'm getting tons of wood without having to saw anything up.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I thought I was going to stop with cutting/splitting after my wood was finished here at home. I have about a 4-5 year supply here. And now with this oak and the other oak wood behind that pile, I will be cutting and splitting all winter. Im even trying to sell some of the dry ash that I have stacked and covered but no bites yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.