This may be a stupid question but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Later

Jan 30, 2009
We are not 24/7 burners, more like 12/5. When I burn my Castine and let the fire die down overnight the temperatures on the top of the stove and flue drop. Am I creating creosote deposits as he temp drops from 500+ degrees to cold?

I am not a pro, but I don't think you would if you had a clean burn before and you did not add any new wood while it is cooling down.

Once the wood is at the coaling stage, most of the nasties that could accumulate as creosote have already gone up the chimney.

Rest in peace knowing it is not a creosote problem Retired Guy. Maybe you should stoke that thing up before hitting the sack. Might as well use it as to let it just sit there.

A junior high teacher once told me a long, long time ago there is no such thing as a stupid question except for the question not asked . . .

I have since found out thanks to my wife that apparently there are a lot of stupid questions and apparently I often ask these stupid questions. :) ;)

On the serious side . . . as others have said . . . no worries. If you're burning hot fires (but not over-firing things) from the start with well seasoned wood and then letting the fire go out naturally you should not see an excessive build up of creosote as the fire dies a natural death as the fuel runs out. Running the fire "cool" through the burning process and/or burning unseasoned wood (with an excessive amount of moisture) will however lead to creosote build up.

firefighterjake said:
A junior high teacher once told me a long, long time ago there is no such thing as a stupid question except for the question not asked . . .

Huh, I have always been told that there is no such things as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions. I'll have to ask my shrink during my next session.

Status
Not open for further replies.