This mornings haul..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

man of stihl

Feb 28, 2010
Mississippi
Working on a big blow down that was given to me by a neighbor...can only get the polaris Ranger or the 4-wheeler into where it is, so have bring it out in loads like this at a time. Good red oak, these cuts are some of the limbs off of the tree, the trunk is shown in my avatar.
This tree has been down over 2 years and with the first lick of the splitting axe, the bark comes off...How long will take to season?

Attachments

• WoodLoad03_01_10.jpg
    WoodLoad03_01_10.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 498
That's a nice big load for the Ranger. I work with a rhino and don't usually get that much in. Nice score! Being down two years that wood should be ready to go. With the bark still on, it might have some moisture in the center though. You probably don't have a lot of burning left to do this year do you? By the time you really need the wood it should be ready!

Nice load, I concur!

Nice!

Still, plan on giving it two years to dry after splitting and stacking. Oak doesn't dry well, if at all, while it's still in the tree/log. Some of the limb wood might be closer to dry, but don't count on it.

Uper said:
That's a nice big load for the Ranger. I work with a rhino and don't usually get that much in. Nice score! Being down two years that wood should be ready to go. With the bark still on, it might have some moisture in the center though. You probably don't have a lot of burning left to do this year do you? By the time you really need the wood it should be ready!

Thanks, the Ranger suprises me, it will haul more than ya think, bought this one new in 05 and it has been worked hard since day 1 and it has held up extremely well.
Your right, I don't have much more burning this year and I still have some seasoned wood left for that, this wood is getting split & stacked for later..if any gets burned next year it will be in late Jan. or Feb. if at all.

quads said:
Nice!

Still, plan on giving it two years to dry after splitting and stacking. Oak doesn't dry well, if at all, while it's still in the tree/log. Some of the limb wood might be closer to dry, but don't count on it.

We have a good many days over 100 degrees F. during the summer, with the average temps in the low to upper 90's for the most part of 3 - 3 1/2 months.

Ya think it won't dry out enough here in this Mississippi summer heat in 1 year???

I am in SC but spent most of my life in MS. They are both very humid. I'm not sure that your wood will be seasoned. Red Oak takes a really long time to season. Before I found this sight I thought I could season my wood in 8' sections. Over a year later when I cut and split it I think it was as wet when I took the tree down. Keep in mind that I am new to all of this myself but I think your location could change the situation.

Man of Stihl said:
We have a good many days over 100 degrees F. during the summer, with the average temps in the low to upper 90's for the most part of 3 - 3 1/2 months.

Ya think it won't dry out enough here in this Mississippi summer heat in 1 year???

I'm guessing you're also dealing with near 100% humidity on those day. Maybe your area is less humid?

rdust said:
I'm guessing you're also dealing with near 100% humidity on those day. Maybe your area is less humid?

Yeah and some days it seems like it maybe 115%..... :bug:

I am fairly new to all this too...been heating with wood only for 3 years now..so still got alot to learn.

Thanks.

Man of Stihl said:
rdust said:

Yeah and some days it seems like it maybe 115%..... :bug:

I am fairly new to all this too...been heating with wood only for 3 years now..so still got alot to learn.

Thanks.

Get it split and stacked in full sun/wind asap and let nature do it's best. If you want to use it this coming winter you may want to split it on the smaller side. General consensus around here is 2 years for oak. I burned some 18 month stuff this winter that burned just fine though.

if the wood has been down for 2 years and the bark is coming off, more than likely it will be ready by dec... i just had some this fall, when the axe got near it the bark ran away, it was still wet in the middle but not like when it was green... some of it was ready to burn right away some was not.... its still out there stacked and will be ready this year... when you split it, take the outer piecs and keep them from the middle ones, you will be able to tell in weight which ones are closer to being ready.

Man of Stihl said:
quads said:
Nice!

It's not the heat necessarily, but the humidity. Sometimes I think oak seasons the best here in the Fall when it's dry weather (and the dry forest fire type days in Spring), even if it's not really warm. Anyway, you could be right, but don't depend on it without a backup plan, if possible.

I agree with quads. 2 years to season. Also your area is definitely high humidity and that slows the drying process.

Another vote for 2 years from the day it is split.

Tell me the bark was not only off when you found it , but decomposed and gone and I'll change that to 18 months. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.