This mornings score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Courtesy of NYSEG, our electric service provider. They've been trimming power lines in the neighborhood this week. Much of what they're cutting is small nusance stuff. Crew was in front of my house on Tues, talked to one of the guys about scrounging and he told me where some of the best stuff was and that it is OK with them to take it. Tried to talk him in to taking down a big old poplar along the road, but he didn't go for it. Anyway, hooked up the trailer this morning, and went to a couple of spots. loaded stuff that was anywhere from 10 ft long to already stove length. Brought it home, cut it up and stacked the rounds. Mostly white and red pine, some maple and birch. Figure I will wait for a nice cold single digit temp day later this winter to split the pine, much easier when it is frozen and less sticky and messy too. Was going to head out for another load, but it started raining and it is only 38* here. and I was getting a little damp and chilled. Always tomorrow.

Attachments

• 11-4-10 003.jpg
    11-4-10 003.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 638
Adkjake said:
Courtesy of NYSEG, our electric service provider. They've been trimming power lines in the neighborhood this week. Much of what they're cutting is small nusance stuff. Crew was in front of my house on Tues, talked to one of the guys about scrounging and he told me where some of the best stuff was and that it is OK with them to take it. Tried to talk him in to taking down a big old poplar along the road, but he didn't go for it. Anyway, hooked up the trailer this morning, and went to a couple of spots. loaded stuff that was anywhere from 10 ft long to already stove length. Brought it home, cut it up and stacked the rounds. Mostly white and red pine, some maple and birch. Figure I will wait for a nice cold single digit temp day later this winter to split the pine, much easier when it is frozen and less sticky and messy too. Was going to head out for another load, but it started raining and it is only 38* here. and I was getting a little damp and chilled. Always tomorrow.

Adkjake said:

Adkjake looks like a nice score, it's raining and damp here also but it looks like the weekend will be better.

zap

Always ask the property owners permission before taking wood cut by a power company. The wood is the property of the homeowner, NOT the power company. The homeowner has the right to call the cops on you if they see you taking it. It's happened to people before. Ask permission first!

Good advice on the permission.

You have the right idea Jake. Keep on scrounging wherever you can.

Perhaps there's a lawyer or real estate expert that can weigh in on this, in NYS at least most, deeds state that the first 15 feet of the property or 50 feet from the road centerline are not really yours, that land is ROW controlled by the municipality for roads, sidewalks, utilities. So would one technically be tresspassing if they picked up downed wood on this ROW? If so are they tresspassing against the homeowner or the municipality? Kind of tricky legal question.

At any rate, I always ask permission of the landowner and power company crew. Unless it's state land

Adkjake said:
Perhaps there's a lawyer or real estate expert that can weigh in on this, in NYS at least most, deeds state that the first 15 feet of the property or 50 feet from the road centerline are not really yours, that land is ROW controlled by the municipality for roads, sidewalks, utilities. So would one technically be tresspassing if they picked up downed wood on this ROW? If so are they tresspassing against the homeowner or the municipality? Kind of tricky legal question.

At any rate, I always ask permission of the landowner and power company crew. Unless it's state land

Not a lawyer or a real estate expert but........ If it is a ROW then the land is owned by someone other than the holder of the ROW. Otherwise there is no need for the "RIght of Way" since they own it. Where I live in PA we "own" to cneterline of road, but obviously the township has ROW from that point to I think it is aprox, 5 feet from edge of asphalt.

Owner of land is owner of tree, is owner of wood, and you can be "stealing" from them if you take without permission. Most peeps don't care but it only takes one to press charges and guess what you really have no defense. ALWAYS get property owners permission.

Now for transmission lines, those big arse towers that run cross country, different power companies have different arrangements, I know for a fact that my local power company has ROW and are not the owners of the land. But 50 milse south of me, the power company there, owns the land. As a matter of fact from what I understand that power company is our states largest land owner. You really need to know what, or who owns the land otherwise you could find yourself in some legal trouble,

chinkapin_oak said:
Always ask the property owners permission before taking wood cut by a power company. The wood is the property of the homeowner, NOT the power company. The homeowner has the right to call the cops on you if they see you taking it. It's happened to people before. Ask permission first!

Agreed . . . around here wood cut around the lines belongs to the homeowner . . . and woe be until all those who come along and just take the wood without permission . . . there are a lot of wood burners here in Maine and taking wood without asking is one of those things you just don't do.

In Michigan too. Generally speaking, I own land to the middle of the road but the county has the ROW. However, I found out just a few years ago when they did a survey that my property line actually got to the other side of the road! Yet, within 1/4 of a mile (to the corner) the ROW is once more dead center of the road.

There is a power line that runs along one edge of our property. It is my land, but the power company had the ROW for 34 feet. Every so often they have to come in to trim brush and trees. They can do so for 17' each side of the power line.

In short, it is always best to be sure.

In MS the wood is indeed the landowner's. If the power company cuts it they may or may not clean it up depending on where it hits the ground. If someone came unto my place to clean up after the power company we would indeed have to have a little talk. I might let him go ahead and cut all the wood and hope he got it split before I told him it was mine though. LOL Naw; I wouldn't do a fellow like that, but I would let him know I didnt want him there cutting my wood.

As stated, a Right Of Way is for a specific use. You will usually find that NYSEG doesn't own the underlying land. In some cases, there was incorrect information out there that NiMo -National Grid- owned the land where their lines were. Usually that ends up being wrong too.

You seem like a nice guy Jake . . . so if I caught ya, I'd only tell the Judge that you stole 20 cord, not 30 :smirk:

Now that would be some scrounging if you could make off with 20 cords!

My property line ends a few feet short of the road surface down here in Westchester County. Due to some construction, the town may be "giving" me some of the land between my property line and the road next year. Not a huge "give", about 20' x 75'. I guess it varies from one municipality to another.

I have seen township or state crews here in central PA clearing the roadside and leaving the wood, but I have also seen them take the wood away. I assume if they are taking the wood, then it is theirs to give away. I didn't ask for the wood they moved last year, but if they clear a little farther down the same road this year, they'll be clearing big old Osage Orange trees and I definitely will ask about the wood. I suspect they just dump it somewhere if nobody asks for it.

great score....back in Feb and March they did the same thing around here. I managed to score 2-3 cords of wood from them. From what they were telling me they do it every 3-5 years ever since the "big blackout" up in New York 5-8 years ago

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.