This mornings scrounge - Help with ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Had some strong winds last night and more predicted today so I packed the chainsaw and my gear in anticipation. Spotted this pile of wood on the way to work this morning. Already cut to length. Had one look and thought, nah, thats crap wood and drove off....5 min down the road the wood hoarder in me took over and found myself turning the car around to go and grab the best bits...even if it is crap i'll burn outside. Any ideas on what it is?.....thanks guys...

Note: you wouldn't know its mid winter here in oz by the photos would you. Its been really mild this week. I want icey cold and snow in the hills damn it!!!

hoard 3.jpg
hoard 2.jpg
hoard 1.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Looks like a fast growing tree species. Typically lower on the BTU scale here.

Nice score none the less.

Global warming ! ?
Well not here so much , Summer & it got to 56°f (13° C) today <>

OK cheers.....i'll split and dry and use it for out side next winter...

Sounds like we are having very similar temps too..haha... Although there is a cold front coming through so i'll be lighting the fire first thing tonight!

I have heard of Green wood before but never seen it . :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Someday I hope to be lucky enough to visit your Continent.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Neat stuff y'all got down there! Almost looks like a palm, but rings say otherwise. (Palm is a monocot, like grass, corn, rice and wheat, and has no rings). Hope the rest of the winter treats you well, HH.

EDIT - May have Looked up (Lacebark?) and think I have it "looking" back at me LOL...(cool pic)
http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1070

Neat stuff y'all got down there! Almost looks like a palm, but rings say otherwise. (Palm is a monocot, like grass, corn, rice and wheat, and has no rings). Hope the rest of the winter treats you well, HH.

EDIT - May have Looked up (Lacebark?) and think I have it "looking" back at me LOL...(cool pic)
http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1070

You are a champion....i think you have nailed it! nice work....i have to admit i wasn't convinced from the link you posted, but upon further searching i have to agree..

From what I read this tree shouldn't have been growing this far south either...

3699935_de15da6346_m.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and osagebow
I'm thinking either lacebark or some type of young fig tree........from the research I just did on the 'net.....
I'd love to fly over there and spend a couple weeks in your beautiful country!

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Is it possible that that wood is oatmeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.