This my chit (Chain sharpener CS-BWM)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

As usual, I waited to fall to get wood. And since it had beena very mild fall, I waited till November.

SOS, the 440 was cutting to the right. For a 12" round it would cut so much to the right that it would bind. I sharpen freehand, but I'm not very good at it. But first, I tried an experiment. Having read the flaming thread about flipping bars, I first flipped the bar over and tried again. This made no change in the way the saw cut.

Next I bought a Timber Tuff CS-BWM from Tractor Supply. Assuming that this electric chain sharpener would work, the $129 price made sense in my circumstances. I have two Stihl chains which I purchaed at the same time as the saw (3-4 years ago). I also have 6 Oregon chains. The guy who sold me that latter chains said my Stihl chain was not worth tryingg to save - he didn't want to sharpen it - so he offered me his 'special'. 5 chains for $75". My experiance has been that you need 5 Oregon chains be cause they seem to dull under the SLIGHTEST of occasions. I also founf that when the Oregons threw, the drive teeth would end up burred up. Anyway, not the point of this post . . .

So I brought the electric srarpener home and began to commence. The first thing I did was to sharpen the chain that had been cutting to the right. Back on the saw, no more cutting to the right. Bull chit (in this case ;-) ) on the whole bar routine.

Comments on the Timber Tuff CS-BWM:
1: Maybe a bit of overkill unless you are sharpening many different chains. All the adjustment the grinder has are meaningless if you set them once and forget it.
2:It would be nice if they had incorporated a raker grinder into the unit.

So far, I am happy with the performance. Hopefully I will get all 8 chains sharpened this weekend. I have about 4 cord of Oak that I dragged out of the woods to cut. Obviously, the dragging operation does a great job of setting me up for a chain dulling experience.

Jimbo

Yes Jimbo, you need to build a drey or get a small trailer for hauling that wood out. Dragging on the ground is no good. It is hard on the equipment, it tears up the trails and the worst of all, it eats chains. Chains are not cheap so why do something that you know will dull them. Remember that every time you sharpen a chain, those teeth get smaller. Don't wear them out unnecessarily.

On the other hand. You can somewhat clean the area that you will be cutting. Get the dirt out of just that small area and your chains will last a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.