This Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
Craigslist score. It's about 2/3 cord and has a faint oak smell. After doing some research I'm thinkin pin oak. Would that assumption be correct?

Attachments

• 393.jpg
    393.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 673
  • 392.jpg
    392.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 636
I brought home 2 loads as seen in the picture.

Attachments

• 390.jpg
    390.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 563
Halligan said:
Craigslist score. It's about 2/3 cord and has a faint oak smell. After doing some research I'm thinkin pin oak. Would that assumption be correct?
I think it probably is. Definitely something in the Red Oak group. Nice score! :coolsmile:

In the Red Oak family, maybe Pin Oak, hard to say without seeing the whole tree. Lots of limbs down lower on the trunk? If yes, most likely Pin Oak. Landscape use, such as front or back yard or commercial building grounds? Most likely Pin Oak. In any event, it's Red Oak and will, in a couple of years keep you toasty! Now quick get split an stacked off the ground! :lol:

Ralph said:
In the Red Oak family, maybe Pin Oak, hard to say without seeing the whole tree. Lots of limbs down lower on the trunk? If yes, most likely Pin Oak. Landscape use, such as front or back yard or commercial building grounds? Most likely Pin Oak. In any event, it's Red Oak and will, in a couple of years keep you toasty! Now quick get split an stacked off the ground! :lol:

Wood is from a vacant piece of property that is being cleared for construction. The wood was placed roadside by an excavator and I just had to buck and load it into the truck. There were very few low branches. Anyhow, I'm happy with the score.

Doesn't look knotty enough to be a typical pin oak, but the wood does look right. I'm going to say red oak (pin is a "red") leave it at that.

NOT Oak, no medullary rays, not for sure what it is not one from these parts but I can assure you it is not an oak of any kind!

TreePointer said:
I've never cut one that big, but how about sassafras for some of those rounds?
+1

TreePointer said:

FWIW all the wood pictured came from the same tree. Your really taking the wind out of my sail's because I was much happier when I thought it was oak. Oh well, still free wood.

Here's some Red Oak.
DSC06834.jpg

The bark on your wood doesn't look like Red Oak to me.

Whatever it is, it looks like a dense hardwood. Is it heavy?

Mr A said:
Whatever it is, it looks like a dense hardwood. Is it heavy?
with those growth rings it's not that dense.

nrford said:
NOT Oak, no medullary rays, not for sure what it is not one from these parts but I can assure you it is not an oak of any kind!
Those rays are sometimes hard to see on fresh cuts. Not saying it's Oak necessarily...bark doesn't seem quite right, and the Oak I've seen is more or less round, not that oddly shaped (ignore my previous post.) :lol:

nrford said:
TreePointer said:
+1
Sassafras here has really orange inner bark and different-looking outer bark than seen in the pic. One sniff should tell him weather it's Sass...

Halligan, was that a yard tree?

I agree it is not oak because it lacks medullary rays. The rays can be hard to see, but that is a pretty good picture of the end of a round and I don't see any at all, which i think means it isn't oak. I don't know what it is.

I had picked up some old oak from a 100+ year old tree, and it did look a lot like this wood. dark inner part and lighter outside ring, just like the pics. Looks a lot like flatbedford's wood to me. Split it wet. Mine was in a field for a few years, and bound up 25 ton splitter

It does not smell like sassafras. I used to chew on sassafras as a kid and this did not resemble the smell. Like I stated it has a faint oak smell.

You can't mistake the smell of Oak, and on a fresh cut, it should no be faint, it should be very pungent.
Split some open and give another sniff, and also can't mistake the grain of Oak either.

I've got a pile of black oak that looks a whole lot like what you have, even the bark. I'm sticking with the red oak family. Wow, this is getting fun!

Not Oak. Rings are way too big. Bark is too thin.

Ralph said:
I've got a pile of black oak that looks a whole lot like what you have, even the bark. I'm sticking with the red oak family. Wow, this is getting fun!

Sorry my mistake, I did not mean to add to the confusion. I was speaking of the wood shown in the back of the truck with the caption "Here's some Red oak." That's the stuff that looks like the black oak I have.

Good eye on the thin bark makes me change my mind back to .... well I don't know! :bug:

I split this wood over the past few days. It's rather stringy and made me glad to own a log splitter. Smells foul, kinda like oak but I'm still clueless as to what it is. Somebody I know looked at it and he thought it was Mulberry. I'll grab some photo's of the splits and post them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.