This One Has Really Got Me Stumped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraxinus

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
coastal Maine
I'm far from an expert on house wiring, but I've done enough repairs, additions, etc. over the years to feel reasonably comfortable and I think I am able to recognize when I'm totally out of my depth. Anyway...

A few days ago, a single outlet in one room stopped functioning. All other outlets on the same circuit were fine. Tested the inoperable one with one of those simple light flashing beeping type testers. This indicated that there was current, so the obvious, if kind of unlikely, answer seemed to be the outlet itself.

Shut off all current at the main breaker this morning and replaced the outlet. Turned the breaker back on. No current at the new outlet, and now no current at any of the upstairs outlets on this circuit - first floor ones were fine.

There is another outlet in another room which backs up directly to the one which started this all. Thought I'd check and see if a loose connection in that one could be the problem. As I was loosening the screws to check, power came back to the outlet and all the others. EXCEPT the one which started it all - maybe.

The tester shows current at the original non-functioning outlet but nothing plugged into it works. BUT, I plugged in a light on a cord, stretched out the cord perhaps 10 feet. Tester showed current at the light switch, but it would not come on. ????

I should mention wiring is non-grounded circa 1940's (probably.) There have never been any other electrical problems, no recent changes. I know this simple type tester does not indicate amperage or any other value, but anyone who has any idea what's happening and how to fix it would be my hero for the month, at least.

These cheapy testers are not worth much. A simple $10 voltmeter is more helpful. It sounds like there may be a break in the neutral wire in that area. Is there a short jumper wire between the first outlet, and the outlet on the other side of the wall? If so, I would replace the wiring that connects to the other side of the wall and that other receptacle while at it.

Another thing to check is the jumper link on each of the screw terminal sides of the receptacle. Make sure it is not missing or burnt off. Do a very close visual inspection of the outlet and wires and look for any sign of black pit marks indicating arcing.

This is how I am visualizing your setup. So that I am not assuming something wrong, is this what the circuit is like?

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 261
Thanks, BeGreen for such a quick reply. About 20 minutes after I finished typing, I realized the problem was most likely in the neutral wire - there is a short jumper connecting the two outlets as you surmised. The problem outlet is receiving current as far as I can tell, but a simple voltage tester (which I borrowed a few minutes ago) shows no usable power from the outlet. Could be a break in the neutral jumper wire or possibly within the second outlet (?). Will have to wait for tomorrow for further exploration - time for the Memorial Weekend picnic.

RE the diagram: Just like it, except that the original problem outlet has only one hot and one neutral wire - last thing on the circuit, I'm assuming.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.