This past summer's project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Spent last summer building a two car garage at the cottage. As part of the building permit and to stay within lot coverage zoning, I had to tear down the old carport.
No big deal as it was in the way and the posts holding it up were starting to rot. Can't locate any pix of what it looked like as standing, but the pic gives an idea of what I'm talking about, it was 12 X 20.

Took it apart board by board and salvaged everything I could, planned to use it to replace an old sheet metal garden shed, and I mean old. My father bought it from Montgomery Wards when I was a kid. That's it in the second pic. It was still in pretty good, shape, had been repainted and was still weather tight, big problem with it was entry door and inside clearance, hit my head more than once. Anyway, unbolted it, lifted it off the slab. Put it out by the road and on Craig's List for sale, for $100. And I got that for it!

So, I used the existing slab and the materials salvaged from the carport and leftover from the garage project to build a new 9X10 storage shed. Shingles were a mix of leftover garage and leftovers from a neighbors cottage which he gave me. Windows also came from a neighbor that put in new ones. Spent maybe $200 or so on treated lumber for the sill plates, nails, screws, some other hardware, paint. $100 of which came from selling the metal shed. Ended up with this, so nice not to bang ones head on the door jamb or ceiling.

Attachments

• Carport Demo 001.jpg
    Carport Demo 001.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Shed 002.jpg
    Shed 002.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 259
  • shed sept 2010 003.jpg
    shed sept 2010 003.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 268
  • shed sept 2010 004.jpg
    shed sept 2010 004.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 268
Yeah, and I still have enough material left over, I might build a little storage shed down by the shore. 6x6 or so should do it.

The old carport had a bunch of 2x6s for the roof joists, so I used them to frame the new shed. I don't care how much it snows and blows, that
baby ain't going nowhere

Cute shed . . . and nice job on the recycling.

Thanks, other than using the existing bolts in the slab for the layout, it was pretty much a make it up as I go along and see how the materials hold out design. The only must was a door opening wide enough for the lawn tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.