This should be everyones resolution for 2013

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 in the garage (1 "portable" for when using te small boat or transporting the snowmobile)

1 in the kitchen

2 at the top of the basement stairwell ~ 1 abc and 1 for grease fires

1 LARGE one at the bottom of the basement stairwell

1 near the pellet boiler

Wired with battery back up detectors on every floor, with the basement one having a built in CO detector

Battery detector at the top of the basement stairwell, in the family room, in the upstairs hallway, and in the garage

Battery CO detector in the garage, and at the top of the basement stairwell

Electric with battery backup CO detector in the family room (have a gas Jotul that's on pilot 99% of the time in there)

This is my 5th season with pellets. I always keep the stove clean and running the way it should, try to shop for price and quality of pellets and in general keep the operation running smooth.

But you know what, I do one of the dumbest things that's pellet stove related. I wish I was, but I don't think I'm alone. I have two stoves but, I don't have one fire extinguisher, now that is plain stupid.

Is there anyone else out there, and willing to admit it, that also has a dunce hat on like me? Or I also would like to hear from people who have one, and are at the head of the class. Funny, I never hear of this being mentioned.

My resolution for 2013, get one pretty quick!

Tom C.

Last year I didn't have one but this year I have 2...put one in the kitchen plus one down in the stove room...i know that red container doesn't go with many peoples decorations but I put mine in a cabinet in the kitchen and a cabinet in the laundry room which is near the stove room...I told everyone in the house where it is and we went over how to use it

Got em, but great reminder for those who don't.

This is my first season using a wood burning stove. Scares me enough that I loaded up on new smoke detectors, a couple of CO detectors, a BIG fire extinguisher and a chimflex flare. Then me, the wife and kid had a chat about how the stove works, clearances to combustibles and what to do if the worst happens. Bottom line for us is get out, call fire department, and lastly, consider the options for heading back in to deploy extinguisher and/or chimflex.

you should have never even typed that last sentence...should have ended with...call fire department

the last we/they need is to worry about a homeowner going back inside trying to fight the fire

Reactions: Eatonpcat
You should have an extingusher wheather you have a stove or not.

Prolly a good idea to check the ones you do have now. They sometimes loose their umph over time. Check the gauge if it has one. If its over 5 years old and no gauge. Cheap insurance to toss it and go new.

Really bad feeling when you have to use one and it only fissles/spits/sputters on you.

Have two 10 lb ones in the house, 1 in the kitchen and the other 1 in the laundry room.
Have three 20 lb ones in the garage, 1 near the welder, 1 near the cutting torches, and 1 by the grinder.
All have gauges and are checked every other year by a local extingusher company.

CO detectors have a shorter life span then smoke detectors. Couple of the ones I checked were only 5 years. Dry extingushers should be tipped and lightly rapped on the side with a plastic mallet regularly to keep the carbonate and phoshate from bricking up. One can feel and hear the filling moving when you slowly tip. When I taught thier use I tried to show that a quick thump or two on the ground or floor could possibly keep the filling flowing when used.

Status
Not open for further replies.