This should help, right (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well, it is finally up, second one this year and I decided to put this one where it counts (first one in my sons room).

As you can see by my pics, one of my stoves is in a 19x15 Florida room with mostly windows. Now they are all good quality windows but still windows. With the Avalon Olympic in here I have obviously a tremendous amount of heat for this room. Adding a ceiling fan should help to circulate more heat right? I have 2 small door fans to push out some but I figured this will circulate even more

Attachments

• 0812081434a.jpg
    0812081434a.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 815
  • 0812081435.jpg
    0812081435.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 819
  • 0812081435a.jpg
    0812081435a.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 798
Nice job. I have all 18' ceilings in my first floor and without the fan on all hot air goes up. With it on it all circulates evenly. They make a big difference.

The ceiling fan, run on updraft, will establish a vertical circulation in the room where it's located. Roughly toroidal...think donut...pulling relatively cool air up from below which will then wash across the ceiling in all directions, displacing the warmer air above out to and down the walls to the floor, where it will begin another lap. This will destratify the air (temperature-wise) in the room, greatly improving the comfort factor down where the people are. It will do very little to move air out of the room it's in, unless the floor plan is such that the toroidal pattern isn't established completely, like if you had a lofted second floor wide open to the lower room. A ceiling fan is not an effective mover of air horizontally. Rick

The ceiling fan will make a great differnce in heating and cooling.
Anybody have any tips on balancing a ceiling fan. Mine wiggles at high speeds.
I ve tried putting paper clip type clamps on wich has helped but still not great.

You could experiment with some smoke to watch what happens.

Incense would work if there are no smokers around.

Doesn't always work, doesn't always show you a lot, sometimes it indicates enough.

(you might even see that torroidal pattern of moving air in the room ) :)

fossil said:
The ceiling fan, run on updraft, will establish a vertical circulation in the room where it's located. Roughly toroidal...think donut...pulling relatively cool air up from below which will then wash across the ceiling in all directions, displacing the warmer air above out to and down the walls to the floor, where it will begin another lap. This will destratify the air (temperature-wise) in the room, greatly improving the comfort factor down where the people are. It will do very little to move air out of the room it's in, unless the floor plan is such that the toroidal pattern isn't established completely, like if you had a lofted second floor wide open to the lower room. A ceiling fan is not an effective mover of air horizontally. Rick

Improving comfort is the number one priority, it's too hot sometimes (most of the time?) and I don't like to open windows if I can help it to cool the room down. I am sure the combo of ceiling fan and small door fans will help enough. It is amazing how with the door fans going (might just splurge this year and buy one of those whisper quiet door fans) the heat goes out the room and across another even going upstairs because of the "chimney effect" as wildland firefighters call it.

Thanks Ric, I figured the ceiling fan would just help make the room more comfortable

brogsie said:
Rick,
toroidal????
Did you make that word up? LOL

doughnut shaped for the non-techies.

You want to blow the cold air into the room, towards the stove, preferably low. I think you will get the best results with setting a fan on the floor and locating it in a cold area that is within line of sight to the Florida room door. Point the fan right at the doorway and have it blow towards the stove.

brogsie said:
Rick,
toroidal????
Did you make that word up? LOL

I most certainly did not. Every time you eat a donut, you eat a toroidal shaped deep fat fried lump of sweetened dough. If you were doing research into the feasibility of harnessing fusion power, you would undoubtedly be working with some massively powerful electromagnets precisely built and aligned to produce a very strong toroidal shaped magnetic field to contain the plasma in which you hope you can make the process take place. Rick

Thanks Rick.
Is that wheel in your picture a steering toroidal?

I would love to put a ceiling fan in my house living room but our ceiling is so damn low. I am 5'10" and I can reach up and touch it

My ceilings are 7' above the floor. The ceiling fan in the photo is as close as possible to the ceiling and no light kit to keep it high. I can also touch my ceiling but I have to use my arm and hand. Don't stick your arm into the fan.

Attachments

• stoveroom.jpg
    stoveroom.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 583
I am in the same boat (as shown in my pictures), ceiling about 7-71/2 feet. The fan blades are just above my head, maybe 3 inches tops. If I don't pay attention, which happens everyday, I will smash into the light kit. Oh well at least the hearth gate will stop me from going head first into the wood stove :cheese:

I too,have low ceilings in one area of our home. We purchased a couple of Hassock fans. They are round and sit in the middle of the room (on the floor) and circulate the air similar to a ceiling fan. I think they arte made by Lasko. Cost about thirty dollars and are worth their weight in gasoline for helping to stir-up the air.
Mike

huh, about how many " from the ceiling does that ceiling hugger fan extend down? I might be able to put one in. Right now we use jsut one of the $20 occilating fans, put it on a bar stool next to the stove and point it upwards. I bet a ceiling fan would make quite a difference overall though

The ceiling hugger fan that I have has blades that swing less than 9" below the sheetrock and the little boob of the motor hangs down to less than 12" from the sheetrock.

It was not a special hugger fan but just a lightless one from the HD for about 50$. Energy star rated too.

I was going to get one of the 50 dollars ones from HD or Lowes but I decided to spend a little more and buy a Hunter. One thing I will say is the "5 minute Fan" by Hunter is not really worth it. The quality is OK but not as good as a "regular" fan from Hunter. My sons room has a nice 44 inch Hunter which is smooth as silk even on high. I bought this 5 minute fan because the blades matched the walls. The only real benefit I see to the 5 minute fan is the blades assembly, it is just a little lever that snaps them into place (not worth it again) None the less it still works very well and the most important reason was to get the stuffiness out of the room in the winter and summer. I wanted to get the 52 inch but way too big for the room, it looks huge as it is right now (50 inch)

This fan I could not use the flush mount because my ceiling is angled very slightly
Overall I am happy with the fan in room, should have done it last year, but I am still a home improvement rookie, baby steps :cheese:

what is a 5 minute fan?:?

It is a line of fans from Hunter, the catch is it only takes 5 minutes to put together (not put up). I did not notice a tremendous savings of time to do the entire install as compared to the other Hunter fan I put up last month. Plus I think the quality is a little less, overall I would recommend it though for the price

Here is one from one of those big stores
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=140455-79-23928&lpage=none

well, I dont know if I want to go there. I did install one fan once when I totally gutted and re-did my sons room but I have never put one in other than that. How do you run the wires in the ceiling and then connect to power and put in a switch??

I just removed the light kits (globes) in both of the rooms and install the fan in it's place, pretty easy if you have a light you can take down. If you don't have a previous light on the ceiling to use that wiring that is going to be very tough and I would stick to floor fans unless you are a "carpenter type".

Have any lights on the ceiling? If you do it will be pretty easy install, takes about 1 hour

nope, no lights in the ceiling

guess I will stick with the floor fans! Was also thinking about getting one to mount just above the stove to circulate air. one of those super quiet ones

Status
Not open for further replies.