This should push me out of the SWA bracket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Wednesday, I was driving next to this guy in some slow moving traffic on the famous LIE.
I asked him if he would dump it for free at my house and he was happy to, since my house was 20 miles closer the. the dumps he was going to and he didn't have to pay $200 to dump it.
In hindsight, I should have said he could dump it at my house for $100 :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I didn't realize that his grapple could only offload on the sides so he had to dump it, and that he had some monster pieces in the bottom of the truck. I may not have taken it knowing that, but hey, it's still free and its good oak and locust.

Wow that is awesome!! That's more like a steal than a scrounge!! Shows that it never hurts to ask!

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
That's a good looking pile of wood. Hopefully he was nice to your driveway on the dump. I'm sure you got his number for future drops. Just going to need to train him to cut it to the length you need or in multiples there of. For the time/money and miles you save him I bet he would accomadate.

Yeah it's great. I actually have done this a couple times.
It saves having to scrounge and move the stuff twice.

That's a good looking pile of wood. Hopefully he was nice to your driveway on the dump. I'm sure you got his number for future drops. Just going to need to train him to cut it to the length you need or in multiples there of. For the time/money and miles you save him I bet he would accomadate.

He dumped the trailer first then back the truck up over that pile so it kinda came down soft on the driveway.
We exchanged numbers but I forgot to store it :-(
Oh well, at least there's plenty of guys driving around looking to unload for free.

Oh, and I think the rule is that it has to be c/s/s to count. Better get humpin'.

I went out and measured what I have c/s/s. I'm actually already out of the SWA. I have 22 cord. This load should produce about another 5-6 cord. I guess I'll be a woodpile psycho !!!

We exchanged numbers but I forgot to store it :-(

Don't know how many K&A Tree Services there are on Long Island, but this one pops up in a google search. Says it's owner operated, so maybe one of the numbers on this site will work for future reference. http://www.katreeservice.com/index.html

Good looking pile of wood.. Looks like some silver maple in there too..

Reactions: Woody Stover
OMG
OAK< LOCUST< & do I see some maple in there?

Gotta be in the top 10 scores, ever !
Scrounged from the LIE & delivered FREE!
& you still get the fun of CSS'ing !
Way to go :)

Freaking awesome score!!! _g

Man o man, you guys deserve the psycho awards, that is pretty brazen to get that much wood dropped off in just one shot, I am impressed that you can handle that much. I'm just a small fish in this pond, last cound I have 2 1/2 cords split and 2 cord waiting to be split. I am actually unimpressed with my per Ram load, I think I'm only hauling a 1/4 cord at a time...congratulations on the load

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Don't know how many K&A Tree Services there are on Long Island, but this one pops up in a google search. Says it's owner operated, so maybe one of the numbers on this site will work for future reference. http://www.katreeservice.com/index.html

Good looking pile of wood.. Looks like some silver maple in there too..
Nice investigative work. Not sure if that is it. I'll give it call. We exchanged numbers, by me giving him mine and him calling me. I went back in the phones history and the last recorded phone number was about and hour after he called me.

Incredible score!

and that he had some monster pieces in the bottom of the truck. I may not have taken it knowing that

Have ya lost your mind? You would turn down monster oak and locust delivered to your property for free? I think you must have tripped over one of the logs and bumped your head.:p

The only thing I hate about huge stuff is getting it to my property.

You are making me want to call my favorite tree service and ask for another log load. But I think I'll wait till November, much easier to work when it's cold out and I'll begin to have some space for it without annexing another part of the yard.

that was just a dream.
Im guessing 3 cords in the dump and 1 1/2 on the grapple trailer. The guy had a nice setup. Nice trailer and very interesting dump truck. Not like the gravel trucks I see around here. I think you hit the driver in just the right mood. And you must have said just the right things.
Those big rounds are gonna make a nice looking stack of wood. There are some real finger smashing chunks of wood sitting there. What I feel jealous of is the amount of work you bypassed to get to that stage of the process. Some homeowner somewhere "paid" for that free load of wood. Took alot of sweating to get that load.
Around where I am tree companies sell those loads of wood or process the wood themselves. You must consider yourself blessed.

I don't if the pictures can relate the size of some of these things but they big.
This must have been the tail end of his runs because there are 6 huge bases in there!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yuppers. Some biggies in that haul.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.