This site motivated me this morning w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
I was "pushed" in another thread to get the chainsaw out after I finished canning. (tks backwoods !!!) We received a little dusting of snow this morning so I continued working on this baby bur oak that I dropped awhile back, deer season got in the way! It measured 37" at the hinge! After bucking up a trailer load (5x10) I noddled and felt like a dang hamster with all the shavings around me. BTW, a 460 with a 20" bar is like a chainsaw on steroids.

I need some cold weather to freeze the ground solid now so I can get this wood to its home for the next 5 years. In the pics the rows on the left are approx 18 ft long and 5 deep and the rows on the right are 16 ft and are 3 deep. I'm way ahead of this game!!!! :)

Attachments

• rps20111209_124609_280.jpg
    rps20111209_124609_280.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 632
  • rps20111209_124653_481.jpg
    rps20111209_124653_481.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0528.jpg
    IMAG0528.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 621
  • rps20111209_124802_297.jpg
    rps20111209_124802_297.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 629
No pics bro?

Sorry Pat, I'm doing this solo. Daughter is at school!!!!! Pics added.

Is the 4th pic the same tree splitt and stacked on the right side? Pat

Edit. I see you havent gotten it out yet.. Great looking wood tho

Yep the 460 20 inch bar is like its on roids and a shot of coke.... ;-)

Nice work wishlist. Good signature. Maybe you could see if the daughter and wife know how to stack wood without the piles falling over. If they don't, there is something they don't know and you can teach them. Got helpers? :)

Judging by the stump, I'd say you know how to fell a tree.

Nice work on this Oak. Looks like fun splitting especially near the brach sections. I just bucked up a white oak and it was a bear to split those logs that had branch sections.

Gasifier said:
Nice work wishlist. Good signature. Maybe you could see if the daughter and wife know how to stack wood without the piles falling over. If they don't, there is something they don't know and you can teach them. Got helpers? :)

Hey gas, in theory the daughter and wife SHOULD stack. Not happening tho. Daughter is a senior in HS and she's way to busy. Wife keeps stove going when I'm not around so that's as far as I push it. No helpers!

Should you run short of room, I could possibly find a nice area to stack some of that oak...

MarkinNC said:

Thanks Mark. I always take pride in my work. For me main thing is look over tree and make a plan. Don't just start cutting haphazardly and I always make the back cut slow!

wishlist said:
I was "pushed" in another thread to get the chainsaw out after I finished canning. (tks backwoods !!!) We received a little dusting of snow this morning so I continued working on this baby bur oak that I dropped awhile back, deer season got in the way! It measured 37" at the hinge! After bucking up a trailer load (5x10) I noddled and felt like a dang hamster with all the shavings around me. BTW, a 460 with a 20" bar is like a chainsaw on steroids.

I need some cold weather to freeze the ground solid now so I can get this wood to its home for the next 5 years. In the pics the rows on the left are approx 18 ft long and 5 deep and the rows on the right are 16 ft and are 3 deep. I'm way ahead of this game!!!! :)

Nice work wishlist, I see all the different wood on this site and the one I wish we had is Oak, not one darn tree on our lot. Our first year burning we got started late so the wife did the stacking so I could cut, that was the last year she has stacked even though she wants to, she does enough plus I actually enjoy stacking.

Zap

wishlist said:
MarkinNC said:

Thanks Mark. I always take pride in my work. For me main thing is look over tree and make a plan. Don't just start cutting haphazardly and I always make the back cut slow!

When you get my age, everything you do will be slow...

Well as my daughter says to her grandpa Dennis, "your older than dirt! " lol....

Oh, oh. I'm in trouble.

The good news is, Dennis, since you and I and the rest of us are MADE of dirt, well, we really are at least as old as dirt.

And slow is good sometimes:D

watch until it gets removed :p

Holy crap! I listened to about 5 seconds of that noise and could stand it no longer. I'll stick to the dirt.

If that's a "baby bur oak" a big one must be a years supply of fire wood. :)
Great pictures.

bogydave said:
If that's a "baby bur oak" a big one must be a years supply of fire wood. :)
Great pictures.

Yea Dave its a baby compared to the one in the background. It's coming down soon, gonna make sure I save some of the stump for our friend Dennis to split! ;)

Make sure you inform the seismologist in your area when you plan to fell it. Gonna register on the Richter scale :)

Lookin' real good & nice work... In pic #4 it looks like a fort with walls made of wood stacks. Very cool- thanks for the photo's. The best have mountains of noodles and chips. That oak will pay back the sunshine it drank for so many years.

Backwoods Savage said:
Holy crap! I listened to about 5 seconds of that noise and could stand it no longer. I'll stick to the dirt.
Les Paul, SG and Marshall are the pinnacle of dirt! :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.