This was a dirty chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a perfect case were pine would cause a chimney fire -

we have a customer with a yukon wood furnace whose chimney looks like that,
he has a nearly horizontal section of flue, last trip 1/2 of the hz section was a puddle of solid tar. once chipped out it was about 15 gallons! We took another 20-25 out of the vertical section. and his heat exchanger has close to 10gal too

Reactions: bholler
Wow that's absolutely nuts. I do my
Hotblast chimney twice a year and burn 24/7 and get maybe a gallon each time out of chimney and stove pipe and I thought I could do better. That's just an absurd amount of creosote.

How freakin wet was their wood. I mean man how would you get wood that wet to burn. I have a few pieces here and there that aren't great but damn!!!

I've seen that with our old woodfurnace. Over 5 gallons sometimes over a month period. Burning what I thought was seasoned wood and having a 7x11 liner on a 32' chimney. Now we get next to nothing for the entire season with an insulated liner and epa furnace. It's scary to see how much "fuel" that can be sitting there waiting for a spark.

2 years ago I burned most of a cord of marginal wood, starting fires with some kiln dried and supplementing with several Orford compressed logs each night. These lit well, burned well but didn't last terribly long - tough to get an overnight out of them. This gave me about a gallon at clean-out time. Sweep gave "thumbs-up".

Last year I burned about a full cord of less marginal wood, again starting with some kiln dried but could not get my Orford logs, went with a pallet of Logik-E's that were larger, harder to light and smokier but would go overnight just fine. This gave me about 2 gallons at clean-out time. Sweep was less than thrilled.

This made me think I should keep shopping for a different compressed log, which to me means trying various things before loading up. Not sure I can get that done before snow sets in at the rate things are going - given the (again) marginal state of my wood I wasn't planning to start burning until Xmas or 1-Jan. The Logik-Es would be pretty easy to nab now.

Now I wonder if I should be so worried about 2 gallons of creosote LOL. FWIW it's about a 25' stainless 6" lined masonry outside chimney.

I guess my question should be, how worried should I be about 2 gallons of creosote per year? By the looks of those folks I'm doing pretty well!

Thanks for any professional thoughts,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.