This was a first

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sun is getting stronger and warmer. It won't be long now. Planted some broccoli and parsley outside. Plum trees are in full bloom. Lilacs have big fat buds, early daffodils are starting to fade.

Saturday I climbed on screen porch roof to shovel the snow off to lessen the load and try to help the ice dam problem. Had 7-8 more inches of snow Sunday night into Monday. Spent most of yesterday taking wheel barrow loads of snow off my back deck since there's no room to put any more snow. Loaded it onto the driveway then blasted into the back yard with the snowthrower. Calling for snow this afternoon, turning to sleet then back to snow. Should have it cleaned up in time for Thursday's predicted snow fall.

I also cleared the path back to the wood shed again and a little bit of grass started to show. A Canadian goose showed up and started to feed (not kidding). Tough times to be a goose.

Hang in there. This should all be over by the end of the month.

Did the spring seed order this weekend. Hard to believe that we'll have trays of starters in the window while there's still 36" of snow pack out there.

I'm going to need a ladder to pull my maple taps back out after the thaw. They're chest high right now but that's with snow shoes on top of the snow. :rolleyes:

Just spent 20 min on the phone with a very nice lady (potential customer) who just moved here from FL in the fall. She and her husband bought a 50 year old home.

It was comical to hear her description of how the snow just kept piling up on the roof, then the water just kept pouring in the cabinets, the basement has water in it, the driveway is a sheet of ice, etc...

She really can't fathom why anyone chooses to live here. Actually felt bad for her, it's a rough introduction to a new england winter.

Guess we take for granted some of the things we do to cope with ice/snow and mitigate damage. Doesn't always work but for the uninitiated this must be rough winter to be on the learning curve.

Just spent 20 min on the phone with a very nice lady (potential customer) who just moved here from FL in the fall. She and her husband bought a 50 year old home.

It was comical to hear her description of how the snow just kept piling up on the roof, then the water just kept pouring in the cabinets, the basement has water in it, the driveway is a sheet of ice, etc...

She really can't fathom why anyone chooses to live here. Actually felt bad for her, it's a rough introduction to a new england winter.

This one has been written many times, and I had previously seen it credited to Vermont, not Connecticut. In any case, it's a fun read:

Winter Diary
August 12: Moved to our new home in Connecticut. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.

October 14: Connecticut is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

November 11: Deer season will start soon. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

December 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snow ball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Connecticut.

December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

December 19: More snow last night. Couldn’t get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. folking snow-plow.

December 22: More of that white chit fell last night. I’ve got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I’m done shoveling the driveway. poophead!

December 25: Merry folking Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-groan who drives the snow-plow I swear I’ll kill the bastard. Don’t know why they don’t use more salt on the roads to melt the folking ice.

December 27: More white chit last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can’t go anywhere, car’s stuck in a mountain of white chit. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the chit again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

December 28: The folking weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of that chit this time. At this rate it won’t melt before the summer. The snow-plow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the chit he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his folking head.

January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those folking beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that folking salt they put all over the roads.

May 10: Moved to Arizona. I can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state of Connecticut.

My goose is still here but the snow is quickly covering up his little patch of paradise. Sucky day goose.

Reactions: Dune and osagebow
Forecast here is for -24c tonight don't even wanna know hat the windchill is outside right now. I broke the starter switch on the snowblower last night - almost had a heart attack trying to pull start the old beast. Hard wired the starter motor and got it going - but fubar'd something else and now starter is pooched. Pulled something shoveling the end of the driveway this morning from the plow - was throwing the snow 10' up over the bank. I've always liked the change of seasons but seems like the only change lately was going from winter 2014 into winter 2015. Begreen it's nice to know there are gardens and lawns somewhere right now 'cause it sure ain't happening here for a while. You guys out east - wow - I feel for 'ya...

This winter has been hard on man and machines. Not too kind to animals either. Hang in there, the thaw is coming.

I don't mind it one bit, and actually enjoy a few good snow storms each year. I can go have fun with some snow removal equipment. I sure do feel sorry for the homeless, this year, of which we have many in Philly.

The most frustrating part for us is all the school closings. There were two this week alone, and that's been pretty typical of this winter. They play the game of opening late and/or closing early, so that they can still "count" the day by state rules (and bill us... private school). It's very difficult to manage all the late drop offs and early pick ups, in a dual-career family, but others are dealing with much worse.

We share ownership of 2 snowblowers with BIL next door. A couple of weeks ago the newer (more powerful of the 2) gave up the ghost in spectacular fashion. Grinding and some smoking... Tecumsah motor is kaput... cracked block. We're hoping "old faithful" keeps on chugging until the thaw. We'll be shopping this spring/summer. And I'll tag along... it's clear to me that my 'til now refusal to deal with snowblowers has to end. And whatever we purchase has to be "girl friendly"!

And whatever we purchase has to be "girl friendly"!
You could paint it pink...

Actually, what kind of square footage are you dealing with? I'm a big fan of tractor-mounted snow-blowers, and even the little 42" unit I had on my 12 hp Cub Cadet 123 (50 year old tractor) was way more capable than any walk-behind.

I've since gone a "little" bigger, with my tractor-mounted blowers. ;lol

snowblowers.jpg

I don't really know, frankly. But it's a lot. We have a circular driveway (large enough for the oil truck to navigate comfortably; based on architectural standards c. 1970) and a large area in front of the barn. I've mentioned a tractor mounted snow blower before but have been repeatedly shot down. It's still under negotiation, but when price is factored in along with the likelihood of a repeat of this epic winter I'm not sure it's the best option. As I said, still under consideration and I simply "dunno".

The driveway has also been designed to accommodate plowing, with several points along the circle designated to "store" snow and no plantings to impede a plow. But plows are tough on lawns and oftentimes they're really not the best option.

We share ownership of 2 snowblowers with BIL next door. A couple of weeks ago the newer (more powerful of the 2) gave up the ghost in spectacular fashion. Grinding and some smoking... Tecumsah motor is kaput... cracked block. We're hoping "old faithful" keeps on chugging until the thaw. We'll be shopping this spring/summer. And I'll tag along... it's clear to me that my 'til now refusal to deal with snowblowers has to end. And whatever we purchase has to be "girl friendly"!
What would it cost to just replace the motor or is the whole unit not that well made and worn out?

I'm not sure what a motor replacement would cost. My brother (metalsmith/gear head) has the unit now and is fiddling with it. But we'll be "shopping". I'm not at all confident about picture posting but I'll give it a whirl.

IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0847.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty from afar in my warm office. Just the way I like it. ==c

OK, what did I do wrong to have the 2 shots diagonally opposed? I really want to get this stuff right, but don't know how.

And it was really pretty. I always like that part of winter! And, to be honest, it's not usually this severe. We often have what can only be described as "brown" winters. We're in the zone for the dreaded "changeover" and while inland they get 6" of snow we'll get rain/freezing rain (the pits).

I got a new 24" Ariens to replace the old 24" Ariens that ran fine but was just old. It is also somewhat 'girl friendly' (for my wife, just in case), since it has a differential that's supposed to make it easier to turn; maybe it does, a little anyway. I don't think the Briggs engine is as strong as the old Tecumseh engine-it doesn't seem that way. And, it positively crawls along in reverse, and doesn't go as fast in forward-safety 'features', I assume. I think all the heated handles do is melt the snow on your gloves, thus soaking the gloves and making your hands cold. The chute turning/angle of throw controls on the handlebar are very helpful-I wonder how long they'll hold up though. This model with the differential is weighted more to the front, which I like, generally, for getting up the snow, but it might not help with maneuverability.

Not to turn this into a snowblower thread, but newer is not necessarily nicer.

Reactions: Bobbin
OK, what did I do wrong to have the 2 shots diagonally opposed? I really want to get this stuff right, but don't know how.
Hit return once or twice before inserting pictures so that they are on a new line. I did this for you on the last post.

Reactions: Bobbin
Last edited:
I'm not sure what a motor replacement would cost. My brother (metalsmith/gear head) has the unit now and is fiddling with it. But we'll be "shopping". I'm not at all confident about picture posting but I'll give it a whirl.

View attachment 155251 View attachment 155252
Looks like a nice setting! I envy your view of nothing but trees.

You likely wouldn't envy the endless deafening thunder of "loud pipes" that cruise by with impunity when the weather is warm (it's their god-given right, after all). I can hardly wait for the first warm day, however many days from now... NOT. And you prolly wouldn't care much for the necessary "KP duty" to clean up the empties and litter chucked out the windows as the oglers stream by. My personal favorites are the "disposable" diapers; I guess "disposable" means you simply chuck it out the window of your car for someone else to clean up... Whatever has a front has a back... and the back is usually marked by an -sshole. It's not all you see in the attached shots, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.