This weeks haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
The last week I've spent clearing wooded lots for new construction.
As is usually the case, by the time the site is cleared enough to get the home and utilities in, there aren't many trees left...

But, it sure does add to my wood stock!

Here are the trees I plucked out, laying across the road.

ry=400.jpg

Most are pretty small, about 6"-12" diameter, and 40-60' tall.

Here they are after saving the good parts.

ry=400.jpg

Mostly Cherry, with Ash (I think?) and some Siberian Elm, and Mulberry.

Does this look like Ash?

ry=400.jpg

I don't know how many cords there are, I was way off last time I guessed, but it is a lot more than I had last week...

Rob

48rob, nice haul. Not sure on the ash but my guess is 3-4 cord.

zap

That really yellow wood might be mulberry. Good stuff. oops I see you already identified that. Great score of wood. Nice size for cutting and splitting!

Looks like white ash to me . . . but I'm better at IDing trees by the leafs . . . obviously a bit hard this time of year.

48rob said:
Thanks Jake,

It really doesn't matter, Ash is close enough.
It splits easy, burns nice, and Its free!

Rob

Splits easy, burns nice and free . . . what more can you ask for? :) The way I figure it . . . all wood burns . . . and all wood will split up . . . just some wood burns better and splits better than other wood . . . but they all make heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.