This weeks score! Need help w/ID's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ruggeri

Nov 23, 2012
Rhode Island
Great score this week. Between 2 and 3 face cords of this from the local public works dept. Actually thought most of it was Ash or White Elm until I started to Cut/Split it. I'm terrible at ID'ing unless it's upright with leaves on it!
My gut tells me it's some kind of Cherry. Heavy as hell, and has that fresh "Pine-sol"-esque smell.
IMG_20130404_123650.jpg

The Bark on this one is slightly different, but the wood is the same.
IMG_20130404_122816.jpg

Some before cutting -

IMG_20130328_181819.jpg

...And for good measure, one of my 'Minions' gladly lending a hand!IMG_20130404_125105.jpg

And, yes, we've gotta rebuild those stacks back there..

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Something in the Red Oak group, for sure...Pin? Where there any leaves attached?
Did a tree service bring that?
It'll be a few years before that Oak will put out. How far ahead are you?

No leaves, if so i'd probably be able to nail it! Came from the local public works, my neighbor has family that works there, he says most of it just gets chipped, mulched or landfilled. I'm never far enough ahead! Might have some oak ready this coming season (in the last pic to the left), been, C/S/S'd for 2 years now, probably just shy of a cord. Again, not enough! Got plenty for 2-3 seasons from now. Need more for next year. Worst case, I may have to buy some already seasoned (local yard has some nice stuff all stacked), and a little oil. Killed me to do it, but we turned the furnace on 2 weeks ago for the second time since last spring.

R.oak

Reactions: PapaDave
looks like Oak to me. good to see you are passing on the trade to your helper. My boy loves to mess with the wood too. I got him his own Fiskars.

Those first 2 pictures are red oaks. You also got some cherry and maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.