This Week's Tally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewiston

Burning Hunk
Jun 17, 2012
South Central, WI
Red Oak - 2014/2015
1 cord for the trailer.
1 cord for the pile.

Ran out of posts so I decided to try boxed ends. Definitely takes longer; much practice needed. Being a classic type A person I restacked the ends 2-3 times. I need to work on splitting better square/rectangle pieces. Currently have 8 cord stacked outside and 4 cord under roof. If I keep up the 1 cord a week pace I should reach my goal of 20 cord by the end of November.

Attachments

• 2012-08-31a small.jpg
    2012-08-31a small.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 2012-08-31b small.jpg
    2012-08-31b small.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 2012-08-31c small.jpg
    2012-08-31c small.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 169
You are kickin' some serious butt! Looks great! :cool:
I don't spend too much time on the ends; I'll stack two or three levels the regular way, then stack three splits the long way, rectangular, triangular, whatever I've got. Seems to be working....so far. ==c
I finally get to burn some dry Red Oak this year. Dead standing and been stacked for two summers, including this record-breaking hot, dry summer. Never seen humidity so low for so long.

Nice Haul Lewiston, the stacks look great.
zap

Reactions: ScotO
I wish I could put a hole day in of just cutting and splitting, but I have too many other projects going. So I usually cut and split in morning while it cool, and do yard fixes and cleanups the rest of the day.Nice stack by the way.

You are kickin' some serious butt! Looks great! :cool:
I don't spend too much time on the ends; I'll stack two or three levels the regular way, then stack three splits the long way, rectangular, triangular, whatever I've got. Seems to be working....so far. ==c
I finally get to burn some dry Red Oak this year. Dead standing and been stacked for two summers, including this record-breaking hot, dry summer. Never seen humidity so low for so long.
I'll have to give your method a try since I'm trying to decide if I want to continue using posts.
Past couple of days were great for drying: High heat, low humidity, and high wind.

Nice looking stacks.:)

Nice Haul Lewiston, the stacks look great.
zap
Thanks!

I wish I could put a hole day in of just cutting and splitting, but I have too many other projects going. So I usually cut and split in morning while it cool, and do yard fixes and cleanups the rest of the day.Nice stack by the way.
During the week I spend 2-3 hours (beginning at first light) each morning cutting, splitting, or stacking. This is my version of going to the gym. Wrestling 30" rounds 18" thick provides both cardio and strength training - you'll never find me on a tread mill. :)

Lookin' good!

Wow a cord a week is great, you should be way ahead by he end of the year.

Lewiston, the ends look great.

Lewiston, that looks fantastic. I don't see anything wrong with your ends at all! you said "one cord for the stack, one cord for the trailer"......does the trailer have it's own woodstove??;) Keep up the great work, love that stack!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks everyone.

you said "one cord for the stack, one cord for the trailer"......does the trailer have it's own woodstove??;)
LOL. A buddy is a arborist so when I split wood for him half goes on his pile half in my trailer. It's a win-win.

GO, GO GO, don't stop GO,GO GO,
you can do it .
20 cord by November very impressive

Great work and very nice stacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.