this winter is a joke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
I'm sure you old farts are happy about the lack of snow and all but it has been a sad winter, never really got cold and now I will be just burning nights. long range forecast is mild and daytime temps in the 40's

Not that I don't mind saving pellets but I love the change of seasons.

I will be stocking up the bunker though I have a feeling that we will see a lot of pellets on the market go cheap and real soon to clear there lots.

Of course I could be wrong and we get hammered by a bunch of Northeasters!

We have highs near 40° or better for the next week???

Never seen a Winter this Mild. Although I'm pretty young. Its never been this warm.

Still way under the 2 ton mark, total for the year.

Bring on some more of that good ole global warming!!

Tom C.

Sorry to hear you're not liking it. Really if you want
to ski or whatever you can head further north and find what
you need....maybe not a buncha snow up there in Maine but
I know it's colder than down here.
I'm not quite in the "ol fart" category but not
a youngin either. Had my share of cold/snowy
winters and have been snowplowing driveways
since 1989 so spent plenty of time out in the crap.
I'm not missing the typical winter stuff one bit.
It's been cold enough for my liking and cold enough
that I don't want to ride the scoot or go kayaking so
for all intents and purposes it's winter enough for me. lol.
Nice to have a little break for once and nice to not be pissin through
a boatload of pellets. Will start packin the stash
high and dry soon.

I'm really enjoying this milder winter, and I'm an old fart who has seen 65 winters come and go... Someday maybe you will appreciate a break in the winter climate, when you no longer care to go out in it or shovel it. For me, winter could stay around 40 degrees every day every winter and I wont complain. We deserve a break now and then. I think back on last winter and look at my photos of the ice and snow, and how cold it was all winter, and how many snow storms and blizzard conditions existed, and I'm thankful for the mild weather. I haven't used many pellets either like most other people, so there is an additional savings, in the fact that I wont have to buy as many tons this year, I'll have at least a ton extra due to the milder days, and nights.

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what kind of spring or summer we will have, but for now it's ok with me.

If you miss snow you can always go to the more northern areas and find some skiing and winter activity.

I don't consider myself an old fart (yet), but I am loving this winter!

The last 2 winters just about killed my will to live. weeks and weeks of below zero temps. weeks of it snowing every fricking day. blizzards.

If we didn't have the ole Case 870 to move snow we would have been burried.

this has been the most perfect winter!

Having been through over 50 New England winters, especially the tough ones in the past 15 years, I have to say I'm enjoying this respite as well. I've been in the Snow and Ice business since 1978. I'm not complaining one bit that the equipment is getting a break. I do feel bad for the guys who went out and bought trucks and plows, etc., but your time will come! My pellet consumption is down at least one third maybe more.

Gotta chime in on the "been there, seen that" on the hard winters. A break this year is welcome.

Hey...!!!! Where were you on October 30 when we got buried with over 20 inches of snow and the tree limbs and power lines came down for us for the 3rd time in 5 months and knocked the power out for a week. Didn't see your behind dancing in the streets. There are plenty of places to go if you want some winter. Just get in your car and go there. You can have fun in the white crap for both of us. I don't miss the extra expense of winter, the screwed up roads, the salt eating away at my car, the deaths and destruction caused by nothing but frozen water and the real estate taxes that go to the moon because of the winter highway budgets.

The hell with saving the pellets. How about the money we are all saving with this non winter. If Al Gore is right, I'll gladly accept this new New England type of climate.

There's still time to get buried and when we do, I hope it all lands on you so you can be happy and don't come crying to the forum when your power goes out and your stove won't run. Geez...they walk among us.

End of rant.

I am lovin this mild winter but I am sure we will pay for it with drought conditions this summer.
Usually working on the 3rd ton of pellets by now but only half way through the 2nd one.

Hoping to find some sweet deals on pellets this spring as the product ain't movin
out like normal. ;-)

I'll take this joke every winter! :cheese:

Fair is fair. You got loads and loads of snow last season. This is our season! ;-)

I left Massachusetts 30 years ago to move to northern NH, usually we have 4 feet of snow in the front yard at this time. This year we have 1 inch. I'm lovin it.

Tom C.

I'm an Old Fart and dam proud of it!!
Though I hate shoveling heavy snow, I feel that snow is the only thing that makes winter tolerable.

My thoughts are, the more snow, the better. Since I've lived in cold country my whole life, I make just sure I'm prepared and go on with my day. Up here the snow related businesses are hurting quite a bit this year. Even places that can make snow don't get as much business because people have a tendency to not think about skiing/snowboarding if they don't see snow around them. I couldn't even participate in the Sebago Lake ice fishing derby this year. There was an article recently that mentioned the Corinth pellet mill is only running at 50% this year, I'm sure this mild season has plenty to do with that and not just the fact that there aren't enough federal subsidies. That means this winter is even hurting the key item that this forum is based around.

True, there are a lot of people and businesses that depend on snow, but I'm just enjoying the hand that was dealt to me.

Tom C.

This winter has been mild. 2 years ago we had back to back blizzards in southern md. We got 2 feet on the first one and about 18 inches on the second. Which is a lot for my area. It was a headache. I dont mind not getting any snow but I also dont mind seeing a little just for a change of pace. I got a bad feeling about next winter. We have had 2 very mild winters in a row. So look out!

Just want to say its only mid Feb.
still plenty of time to get hammered with snow
might snow all the way to April...............

ironpony said:
Just want to say its only mid Feb.
still plenty of time to get hammered with snow
might snow all the way to April...............
WOO HOO!!!!

Nicholas440 said:
I'm really enjoying this milder winter, and I'm an old fart who has seen 65 winters come and go... Someday maybe you will appreciate a break in the winter climate, when you no longer care to go out in it or shovel it. For me, winter could stay around 40 degrees every day every winter and I wont complain. We deserve a break now and then. I think back on last winter and look at my photos of the ice and snow, and how cold it was all winter, and how many snow storms and blizzard conditions existed, and I'm thankful for the mild weather. I haven't used many pellets either like most other people, so there is an additional savings, in the fact that I wont have to buy as many tons this year, I'll have at least a ton extra due to the milder days, and nights.

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what kind of spring or summer we will have, but for now it's ok with me.

If you miss snow you can always go to the more northern areas and find some skiing and winter activity.

I've seen 44 winters come and go, and I'm really enjoying this one. We live in the mid-Atlantic region near Balt/DC, so we don't really get hammered with snow, but on the other hand we do usually see some very cold temps in the single digits to 20's, and this year has been remarkably warm compared to most winters.

With each passing year, I get less and less tolerant of cold winter weather. I can see me and my wife moving south when we retire. I can see why all the old folks move to Florida now!

Great State of Tennessee in the house.

Supposed to hit 60 today. You guys can have all the snow.

Fish On said:
I'm sure you old farts are happy about the lack of snow and all but it has been a sad winter, never really got cold and now I will be just burning nights. long range forecast is mild and daytime temps in the 40's

Not that I don't mind saving pellets but I love the change of seasons.

I will be stocking up the bunker though I have a feeling that we will see a lot of pellets on the market go cheap and real soon to clear there lots.

Of course I could be wrong and we get hammered by a bunch of Northeasters!

It'd be nice to get a little snow... weekend snow that is. I don't mind shoveling... it's good exercise. :lol:

But the bottom line is that this winter is saving me money, period. Can't beat that!

I've seen a three foot deficit in winter snowfall get wiped out in one snow event in April, don't count your spring chickens by counting the eggs in the incubator you may get a nasty surprise.

Ejectr said:
Hey...!!!! Where were you on October 30 when we got buried with over 20 inches of snow and the tree limbs and power lines came down for us for the 3rd time in 5 months and knocked the power out for a week. Didn't see your behind dancing in the streets. There are plenty of places to go if you want some winter. Just get in your car and go there. You can have fun in the white crap for both of us. I don't miss the extra expense of winter, the screwed up roads, the salt eating away at my car, the deaths and destruction caused by nothing but frozen water and the real estate taxes that go to the moon because of the winter highway budgets.

The hell with saving the pellets. How about the money we are all saving with this non winter. If Al Gore is right, I'll gladly accept this new New England type of climate.

There's still time to get buried and when we do, I hope it all lands on you so you can be happy and don't come crying to the forum when your power goes out and your stove won't run. Geez...they walk among us.

End of rant.

Gramps, I to lost power that's why I have a generator, Also don't want to see people hurt or homes destroyed but if this is GLOBAL warming just wait until spring comes and we see rains that are in feet and peoples basements flooded or drought this summer because of a mild winter.

I love all the seasons that's why I live here! GEEZ!

It's been very mild in Montana as well. Statewide the snowpack was running way behind as of several weeks ago. Although the respite seems 'wonderful' on the surface- we really depend on the snowpack. Last year was waay too crazy, we were at like 200% of normal snowpack and there was massive downstream flooding, now it's behind.. normalcy would be nice!

Very little snow here in S. Maine, and I've heard about very little snow out west too. Kind of a bummer. Never took my sleds out this year and probably won't at this point. Not worth the high registration fees.

I've used only about half as many pellets at this time as compared to last year. We've had very few serious arctic outbreaks here. And the ones that do are short lived followed by above normal temps. Sun is getting higher and days are clearly getting longer. Could we get big azz snowstorms in the next 30 days, yep. But they won't last long at this rate.

Pitchers and catchers have begun reporting in Florida and Arizona, boys of summer aren't far off.

P.S. Gotta get to Montana at some point, one of 20 states I haven't been to yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.