This Winter's Forecast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids going back to school will not be long now!

Adios Pantalones said:
Now if they could get it right for this upcoming weekend

The weekend up here is going to be 71-75 both days, might take a day off from the woods and take the boat out.

zap

As usual, it is pretty vague and says nothing. To state that an area might be 1 degree below normal is silly at best. The same for snowfall. A bit above or below is meaningless.

Backwoods Savage said:
As usual, it is pretty vague and says nothing. To state that an area might be 1 degree below normal is silly at best. The same for snowfall. A bit above or below is meaningless.

Sav real cold at your house with lots of snow! :coolsmile:

zap

Bring it on Zap. We're ready.

I'm trying to post Joe B's forcast for last winter here. (see if it works)
This was made early in the year, and was about as accurate as a long range forecast can be.
It followed his LR forecast for 2009 where he actually used the phrase "year without a summer". This was also about as accurate as it could be.

Thus...I have started paying closer attention to Mr. Joe B.

Attachments

• WinterForecast09-10.jpg
    WinterForecast09-10.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 594
OK...I found the proof for the Year Without Summer graphic. This was published by NOAA. A ranking of "1" means coldest July on record..."2", second coldest, etc.. Here in MD, for example, we had the seventh coldest July on record.
Considering the large warm bias in modern temperature data, I consider this very impressive.

Attachments

• TempsJuly2009statewideRank.png
    TempsJuly2009statewideRank.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 610
The winter of 2009-2010 will be remembered for its warmth. Based on data compiled by the National Climatic Data Center, for the winter season, 63 percent of the country experienced below normal temperatures. In contrast to this national trend, Maine experienced the third warmest winter and parts of northern Maine experienced the warmest winter on record.

It's probably not right that some Americans think of ME as part of Canada, but (having said that)...
I think that link zapny listed had a comment about this winter in Canada being as cold as last winter was warm...or something like that.
Thus; ME was in the warm...it's true.

BTW; looks like you had a dang cold July 2009. (If I know ME, that means wet and maybe buggy)

granpajohn said:
It's probably not right that some Americans think of ME as part of Canada, but (having said that)...
I think that link zapny listed had a comment about this winter in Canada being as cold as last winter was warm...or something like that.

BTW; looks like you had a dang cold July 2009. (If I know ME, that means wet and maybe buggy)

Only Frenchville, ME is part of Canada. Lots of people think NH is in Boston too, also not fair. We're a real state (jumps up and down waving arms "We're over here!").

I hope we get real winter this year. Last year was laughable at best and sad, for the most part. I want bitter cold and massive snowfall, and I want it now. I'm all done with summer.

granpajohn said:

cant remember but this july was great! moderate with little AC needed

Delta-T said:
granpajohn said:

Only Frenchville, ME is part of Canada. Lots of people think NH is in Boston too, also not fair. We're a real state (jumps up and down waving arms "We're over here!").

I hope we get real winter this year. Last year was laughable at best and sad, for the most part. I want bitter cold and massive snowfall, and I want it now. I'm all done with summer.
Careful what yu wish for.

Delta-T said:
granpajohn said:

Big diff between S Me & N Me & ure living in the tropics!

I know there will be less than average snowfall at my house this winter because I bought this last spring.
DSC06112.jpg

Flatbedford said:
I know there will be less than average snowfall at my house this winter because I bought this last spring.
DSC06112.jpg

Thats what I thought last year when I bought my set-up but there was lots of snow.

Well I hope I get to use it. My luck there will be one big one. It will start at about 4:30 am. When I leave the house at 6:00am for work, there won't be enough for the tractor yet, but there will be enough to make my 40 mile commute to NYC miserable. By afternoon there will be 6" on the ground. Early evening there will be a change to rain, by the time I get home at about midnight there will only be about 1 1/2" of icy slush. I will probably miss the whole thing and my wife and son will be afraid to use the machine because I haven't been around during snowfall to show them how. But, if it doesn't snow much, then I guess gatting the tractor is still worth it. Kinda like when it doesn't rain even though the weather man told you to bring an umbrella. That umbrella still kept you dry.

Yeah yeah. Its on the list. :)

Flatbedford said:
Well I hope I get to use it. My luck there will be one big one. It will start at about 4:30 am. When I leave the house at 6:00am for work, there won't be enough for the tractor yet, but there will be enough to make my 40 mile commute to NYC miserable. By afternoon there will be 6" on the ground. Early evening there will be a change to rain, by the time I get home at about midnight there will only be about 1 1/2" of icy slush. I will probably miss the whole thing and my wife and son will be afraid to use the machine because I haven't been around during snowfall to show them how. But, if it doesn't snow much, then I guess gatting the tractor is still worth it. Kinda like when it doesn't rain even though the weather man told you to bring an umbrella. That umbrella still kept you dry.

Easy to make a lot of friends in a snow storm with one of those. I had a blast last year.

Flatbedford said:
Yeah yeah. Its on the list. :)

Flatbedford big cloud over your house all winter long, lots of snow. :zip:

zap

I'll take anything over this:

Current conditions (central Indiana).

Fair

93 °F
(34 °C)
Humidity: 66 %
Wind Speed: SW 10 MPH
Barometer: 29.94" (1013.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 80 °F (27 °C)
Heat Index: 112 °F (44 °C)

You read that right...heat index 112*. It is unbearable.

lukem said:
I'll take anything over this:

Current conditions (central Indiana).

Fair

93 °F
(34 °C)
Humidity: 66 %
Wind Speed: SW 10 MPH
Barometer: 29.94" (1013.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 80 °F (27 °C)
Heat Index: 112 °F (44 °C)

You read that right...heat index 112*. It is unbearable.

Exact same conditions here in South Carolina, except no breeze is blowing here.

I was just thinking about how nice it is compared to how hot and humid it's been ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.