This woodchuck chucks-seems to work quite well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
My woodsheds would hold 9 cords if I stacked it all in rows. :smirk: However,because I am too lazy to stack it out in the sun first, and then restack it in the woodshed again,what I have been doing for the past few years is -stacking the back and front rows, and chucking the wood into the shed inbetween. So, except for two perfectly stacked rows the rest is in piles which seems to dry quite nicely. Started doing this after remembering that years ago my father got loads of (lilypads) delivered, and then he split them and just tossed them into the woodshed, and a year later they were ready to go. For those who dont know what lilypads are, they were cut-off ends of logs that floated in fresh water and then loaded into delivery trucks for home fueling. Anyone else out there going to admit that they just chuck their wood into the shed? And if you do? How do you find your wood burns after a year of seasoning? I have a moisture meter and most of the stuff tests out at between 17 and 27% moisture after between 10 to 12 months. Only downside I see to this is the volume under cover-7 cords as opposed to 9.

If it works, don't try to fix it. When I was young we used to do somewhat the same thing only our shed was not large enough to have an entire winter's wood stored there. So we had a stack outdoors plus the woodshed. As winter wore on it was one of my jobs to get wood from the outside stack and put it into the woodshed. Though it was not the best thing to do, this also is where all the wood got split. Now we know enough to split it all before stacking it. Probably because of the old stoves it did not bother much as we had them cooking pretty good most of the time and if the wood was a tad green it still burned okay and held a fire overnight. We did always have a year's supply on hand though so I doubt there was much moisture in the wood.

I have two woodsheds, one about 6 cords capacity, the other about 1.75. both are open sided, the big shed holds five rows deep. I fill as I split, stacking as tight as I can manage, at least until I get into the overflow stacks, and burn in FIFO order - so far it seems to work pretty well, and I figure it minimizes the handling. Next spring I'll start by moving the overflow stacks (currently on pallets w/ a top tarp cover) into the sheds and then start splitting and filling again as I can.

Gooserider

My wood shed is actually what my wife and another friend refer to as 'pallet island'. Pallet island is roughly 20x20 with pallets as the sidewalls. I cover this entire thing with a tarp come fall time. I usually have a mix of wood i have seasoned and split and some from wood vendors. I usually stack the wood in here and it does tend to season well. This year I just tossed the wood into a big pile on the pallets. Maybe it takes up a bit more room but it is much easier to just chuck wood into a pile than stack it. As long as it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.