This would be a good time to build momentum, and don't get behind for a week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Looks like the longest and coldest snap of the season is going to overtake the NorthEast this week. I'm going to keep burning Hemlock slab when I can refil every two hours, but the oak is going to start disappearing quickly this week. Maybe the days when I have to commute +3 hours one-way to work will see the oil burner plugged back in.

Get yer game face on!!

I agree, I plugged my oil boiler in today to help get my tank really charged up for the coming week. Of course I didn't really mind burning the oil seeing as how it was free!!! Yeah thats right free, long story.. the oil delivery guy put 150 gallons of oil in my tank when it was suppose to go to the neighbors house. I haven't ordered oil in over 2 years. I guess I got a late Christmas present.

I hear ya the temps are gonna stink this week for sure. I will be keeping an extra supply of wood in the house for sure. I usually refile every couple days as I keep about 2 wheel barrows worth of wood int he house (keep bugs out as much as possible WIFES ORDERS) personally I would like to just bring in a bunch and refill every couple weeks but what can you do. Good luck and keep emm cookin. luckily the wife is home all day to keep the home fires burnin :)

Looks like your real cold is not going to hit until Wednesday -- ours starts tonight, and we are glad to just "pass it on." Forecast for the next 4 nights is -23, -27, -23, and -23, and it looks like daytime highs won't clear 0 until maybe Saturday. Maybe we will be lucky and get our first 100* in this week.

We spent yesterday afternoon replenishing the wood supply in the basement. Thankfully this was all maple (last load was alot of cherry that doesnt last as long). It's still not 100% seasoned, which really effects us when the temp gets below 10* or so. Wed and thurs nights I am definitly going to have to get up at 2am to reload as the lowest temps we've seen were -10* and I was only getting about 4 hours of solid heat... it's not going to be fun but I have my game face on.

Status
Not open for further replies.