This would be a huge scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Here are pics from one of my clearcuts i am currently harvesting for one of my customers. Its way to far from my house to make any sense to make seperate trips to get it as its 60ish miles from my house. I work for the government so its not like i can take my saw and load up my truck on the clock, before yall say your already there, just cut it and load it.

But there is plenty of small unmerchantable stuff and tops. All this stuff is oak in these pics.

Oggle your eyes out. Its even hard for me to see it all as a wood burner just lay here and gonna get piled up and burned.:(

Fuel would just eat me up where it is to get it. And trust me, this is my job so i can pick and choose. I get the stuff that is way closer to my house!

Attachments

• 0813121207b.jpg
    0813121207b.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 0813121201a.jpg
    0813121201a.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 0813121201b.jpg
    0813121201b.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 173
  • 0813121202a.jpg
    0813121202a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 0813121203a.jpg
    0813121203a.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 0813121205a.jpg
    0813121205a.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 165
  • 0813121205c.jpg
    0813121205c.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 0813121207a.jpg
    0813121207a.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 171
Its hard to look at all that good wood go to waste, must be harder for you too see it every day.

Used to see that allot here. Now the Gov't projects make a point to harvest the wood for personal use firewood.
Sometimes the stack the logs up out of the way of their work at a drive to location & let folks cut away.
Lots of wood burners here so it never lasts long.
Great pictures.

Reactions: ScotO
I think a case of beverages, a tent in the truck with your cutting gear, an empty dump trailer and a nice weekend are in order. Go there over the weekend sometime, cut all day, camp out, cut all day the next day.......sux to see all that wood just lay there and rot....

I like your idea Scotty. Its only flawed in that i left out a bit of information, where it is. This is located on an active training military base, IE. NO CAMPING. Even if you could camp on the property its in an active range fan, and at any point there is the possibility of gunships apearing, not likely but it could happen (usually they are scheduled weeks out).

And as far as public, this is in an inconspicuous place, the public is not allowed in the area. Only folks would be active duty, military civies like myself or retirees. I obviously have clearance for the area due to my job, so if i want it, i think i buy a $10 permit and cut away, im sure i would be the only one out there.

I like your idea Scotty. Its only flawed in that i left out a bit of information, where it is. This is located on an active training military base, IE. NO CAMPING. Even if you could camp on the property its in an active range fan, and at any point there is the possibility of gunships apearing, not likely but it could happen (usually they are scheduled weeks out).

And as far as public, this is in an inconspicuous place, the public is not allowed in the area. Only folks would be active duty, military civies like myself or retirees. I obviously have clearance for the area due to my job, so if i want it, i think i buy a $10 permit and cut away, im sure i would be the only one out there.
I'd be getting a permit and going for it for that price......find a place to camp near the base.

Yea this is easy wood scotty, but i do this for a living and this is the second farthest place from my house i manage. There are places way closer. Maybe with not this much oak on the side of a road, but i can get the loggers to drag as many tops as i want to the side of the roads for me to cut. And trust me when i am in a close spot to the house i make sure i get some tops or something left for me.

Sure would be a scroungers dream come true! Also very good to see the new growth there already.

Yea this was cut not even 2 months ago. But all that "growth" will either be herbicided or mowed with a mulching flail mower. This nearly 200 acre clearcut is slated to be a "multi purpose machine gun range". So nothing will be allowed to grow back, once its built, at least in the fireing lanes.

All of the tops are very managable.......one has to look at that
Not alot of knotty or big stuff and very little splitting needing done
that's a plus

Status
Not open for further replies.