This years do and dont's question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
Last year I replaced a Vigilant with a Mansfield soapstone stove. My question is should I do a couple of break in fires again to remove any moisture from over the summer out of the stove.

And also why is it I have to relearn to not leave the air intake control of the upstairs fireplace closed after closing the doors after refueling?

Since over the summer I replaced the upstairs fireplace glass and door glass gaskets it works better then ever and almost instantly dirties the glass doors if I forget to open the air intake back up :mad:

My answer to your first question is I think a break in fire or two would be a good idea to get rid of any moisture. As for your second question, I don't know why and I really have no idea what to tell you. If someone does know the answer to that question I would like to talk with them because I have a few questions like that of my own.

Struggle: If your fireplace does not have a smoldering fire, it should burn off the soot deposit that initially forms on the glass when you load the new wood. But, you seem to know the right way, open up the primary air to get the new wood lots of air. Once it has taken, (should be less than 5 minutes) you can slowly start shutting it down.

My issue this year since tightnening the gaskets up if FORGET to open the air-intake and turn my back on it then black she goes. It turns dark faster than ever with the new gaskets but gosh does it ever operate better than ever now being air tight again.

It odes seem to burn most of the glass back clean though like you said but nothing is quite like a absolute clear veiwing glass ;-P

struggle said:
My issue this year since tightnening the gaskets up if FORGET to open the air-intake and turn my back on it then black she goes. It turns dark faster than ever with the new gaskets but gosh does it ever operate better than ever now being air tight again.

It odes seem to burn most of the glass back clean though like you said but nothing is quite like a absolute clear veiwing glass ;-P

Alzheimer's setting in? Leave yourself a note somewhere to remind you. :lol: I like to use post it notes to remind my wife and kids of various things, and yes, even my self once in awhile.

If you sealed up several other air leaks around the fireplace, then you would need to open your air control to get the same amount of draft. Although the air flowing through the draft control is probably better used for combustion than air leaking around a gasket or faceplate. So you are burning better with the same air.

corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
If you sealed up several other air leaks around the fireplace, then you would need to open your air control to get the same amount of draft. Although the air flowing through the draft control is probably better used for combustion than air leaking around a gasket or faceplate. So you are burning better with the same air.

corey

Oh it works better than ever now. I just have always shut off the air to it since it is an outside air intake so I get no smoke spillage when reloading.

It clearly works better than it ever has with new gaskets as the old ones were original to the unit which was installed in 1985. I am able to turn the air down more and get a more uniform fire now than I was able to with the leaky gaskets or I should say almost non existant ones. The gasket kit was the best money spent on this unit.

It uses less wood and burns longer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.