This year's wood totals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 50 foot of stack.. so 50 x 4.5 x 1.5 / 128 = 2.6 cord or so.. but that includes what is on the porch rack, maybe a rick or so.. and as others have said.. house was much warmer than before wood heat. Can't guess what it would have cost to keep it as warm and comfy with the heat pump.. We started burning in late Oct, guess we will be done by 1st of april. Let the HP take care of any coolness from there.

3 cords here. I'm conserving the last of my wood for this year now which is about half a face cord. I've been letting the house get cooler and only running the stove at night. Wish I could use some of the 6 cords CCS in the yard but its all too wet to burn this year. Next year should be a much more comfortable year for me.

Considering they are forecasting -17C at night and -8C in the day later this weekend, I won't comment how my winter total quite yet. Ha! However to date I have burned about 3 cords supplemented by electricity (actually the other way around..)

Andrew

Same temps floating around here. This winter is a bit of a rude reminder that the last few winters were unusually easy around here. This will be an 8 month (possibly 9 - I've had fires in June in past years) heating season for us - just weekend burning though. No idea how many cords other that to say I freed up a couple smaller pallets - side by side they're probably a bit more than a full cord but that's just a very loose guestimate.

Still burning . . . and still have no idea of how much wood I've burned. Far less than I anticipated.

Same temps floating around here. This winter is a bit of a rude reminder that the last few winters were unusually easy around here. This will be an 8 month (possibly 9 - I've had fires in June in past years) heating season for us - just weekend burning though. No idea how many cords other that to say I freed up a couple smaller pallets - side by side they're probably a bit more than a full cord but that's just a very loose guestimate.
I see in that this morning it was -21 in Ottawa! Eeeeek.

7.5 "face" cords used thus far. Considering that the wood is 16" in length, that would be 2.5 full cords. Furnace has not run once all year. Heating 1500 SF in northern NY. A wood stove investment can easily pay for itself in less than two years, depending on wood cost.

17::F this morning with 4" of lake effect snow last night. Spring has not quite arrived yet.
Where are you in Tug Hill? Drive throug there all the time, from Adams to West Road to Whetstone Gulf. Have read that there are Hemlock in Tug Hill that are over 400 years old -- huge old trees. Some of the few trees in America that were here when the European settlers came....Have you ever seen them? Do you know where they are?

Where are you in Tug Hill? Drive throug there all the time, from Adams to West Road to Whetstone Gulf. Have read that there are Hemlock in Tug Hill that are over 400 years old -- huge old trees. Some of the few trees in America that were here when the European settlers came....Have you ever seen them? Do you know where they are?
I ride my sled there also..seen some nice trees there though i have no idea how old or anything.
I want to ask him how the trails are because want to go there Saturday..about a 3 hour drive for me.
But I can't pm him.

I am down the road from Barnes Corners, you drive right by on Rt 177. I do not know where there are 400 year old trees, but there may be. Tug Hill is fairly expansive. I'll have to ask some of the old time hunters, fishermen, and trappers; they may have some insight.

I want to ask him how the trails are because want to go there Saturday..about a 3 hour drive for me.
But I can't pm him.

I went one week ago, it was great. However, it got up to 50 last weekend, with rain and wind. There is still plenty of snow in the woods, on main and secondary trails. We just got about 4" of snow last night. I would imagine there are some slushy areas on the trails, but definately rideable. I don't know if they're still grooming, but should be. It's supposed to be cold right through the weekend, too. Lows down to +10::F.

MODS: Sorry about the thread hijack, I don't seem to have a PM capability on my computer. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I am down the road from Barnes Corners, you drive right by on Rt 177. I do not know where there are 400 year old trees, but there may be. Tug Hill is fairly expansive. I'll have to ask some of the old time hunters, fishermen, and trappers; they may have some insight.

I went one week ago, it was great. However, it got up to 50 last weekend, with rain and wind. There is still plenty of snow in the woods, on main and secondary trails. We just got about 4" of snow last night. I would imagine there are some slushy areas on the trails, but definately rideable. I don't know if they're still grooming, but should be. It's supposed to be cold right through the weekend, too. Lows down to +10::F.

MODS: Sorry about the thread hijack, I don't seem to have a PM capability on my computer. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hate to be off topic but your settings are stopping the pm when I click on ...start a conversation below your avatar..so it must be your settings on here.

I'm going to guesstimate right about 3 1/2 cords. I've been laid off this winter and kept a fire going in the garage a lot of the time or I wouldn't have burned but a little over 2.

Oil= Only a few bottles of husqvarna 2 stroke mix, and whatever I replaced from my Ford leaking. ;lol

somewhere around 3 to 3-1/2 cords, and growing if winter does let go of it's hold.

So far the Vogelzang Performer used 8 ricks or what some call face cords. 4'x 8' x 18" long splits.

Never turned the baseboard electric on.

Started with 3 cords. I have one 4X8 stack left. Will probably last me about 3 weeks or so. When its gone, I'm done. Clean that puppy out and put my shorts on......:)

Thursday is the 1st day of spring. Someone told me that last year we were @ 20 deg C (unseasonably warm) for the start of Spring. This year, we'll probably hit 0 deg C for a high, with snow all week. Shoveled the driveway today. No sign of grass (2 or more feet in the yard, snowbanks taller than me at the end of all the driveways on my street). I don't even know where my shorts are. What a roller coaster year for weather....

About 7 cords so far and can't say how much oil but not much, burning 24/7 in my 3200 sq ft center hall colonial with bonus room over garage.

Thursday is the 1st day of spring. Someone told me that last year we were @ 20 deg C (unseasonably warm) for the start of Spring. This year, we'll probably hit 0 deg C for a high, with snow all week. Shoveled the driveway today. No sign of grass (2 or more feet in the yard, snowbanks taller than me at the end of all the driveways on my street). I don't even know where my shorts are. What a roller coaster year for weather....
Atleast you'll hit 0 for a high. I am at -9C. It was -27 with the wind yesterday! Brrrrr....

4.5 cords of pine 0 propane.

Maybe 1 Cord so far....

With Natural gas being the lowest in years, and me being so damn busy..... I haven't been burning all that much:rolleyes:

I am going to finish the season in the next couple weeks with about 3.5 cords burned heating 24/7 since mid December. 1700 sq bi-level heated with our insert and used <100 gallons of oil for hot water and supplemental heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.