Thorns!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Honey Locust score late today, knocked down a few of these 15 to 18 inch babies doing some volunteer work for the DNR. Turns out the thorns are no big deal, just shave down the sides with the smallest saw I use for limbing. BTU charts indicate excellent quality so worth the effort. Another trip tomorrow for sure.

Attachments

• Honey locust 3-23-12ar.jpg
    Honey locust 3-23-12ar.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Honey locust 3-23-12br.jpg
    Honey locust 3-23-12br.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 175
I love locust but hate the thorns. I had some two years ago and when processing it, I got nipped a few times by the thorns, they went through my leather welding gloves. Well worth the trouble IMHO. good luck

I love locust but hate the thorns. I had some two years ago and when processing it, I got nipped a few times by the thorns, they went through my leather welding gloves. Well worth the trouble IMHO. good luck

That stuff looks like some nasty ass sh!t. Good BTU score though Nextendeaver. Glad to see you gettin some free stuff. Don't work too hard.

when gettin rid of the thorn clusters, use the top of your saw's bar, not the bottom. this throws the clusters AWAY from you. Trust me, I cut down 4 MONSTER honey locusts last summer, and I learned the hard way (was using the bottom of my bar to cut them off and threw a whole cluster of 5" thorns into my thigh, and it HURTS!). I still have four more big HL's to cut at that farm, and I will definately be doing that this summer because that's one of the best woods out there! ;) Great score, man!

Reactions: smokinj
I finished off the job Saturday resulting in another full load. As for seasoning time, wondering which end of the spectrum honey locust is; fast like soft maple or extemely slow like red oak? My rows are single stacks 40 inches apart for great airflow.

Actually that locust seasons pretty fast once C/S/S. If conditions are right this spring and summer, it may be ready by next winter. Oak is the slowest seasoning wood out there, I would say locust is right in the middle of the spectrum....

Status
Not open for further replies.